Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tire Valve Replacment

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Valve Replacment

Ok, I'm new to this so please bear with me while I try and navigate around here for the first time. I'm asking this question for a friend of mine who does not have a computer, so here goes.........
2004 Four Runner, had a leak in lft. rear tire. Was told by TOYOTA that it is the stem, also that they are like $108. ea.. He would like to replace them ALL with the "old style" rubber ones. Question, can this be done by swapping them out; how would you shut down the light on the dash??
Any help would really be appreciated. Thank you,
StuBkr
Southern, NH
Old 05-03-2007, 08:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you could switch them out but your dash light would be on, did you have the tires worked on latley?
Old 05-03-2007, 09:08 AM

Yes, I know the dash light will stay on. Second part of the question was..."how would you shut down the light on the dash?"
I think he did have the truck serviced as you mentioned which also included checking tire pressure. I'll see him tomorrow and get more info out of him so I don't have to keep bouncing back and fourth.
Thnx.!
StuBkr
Southern, NH
(I just realized I am in the incorrect posting / I'll get it correct next time)
Old 05-03-2007, 11:41 AM

if its the metal type tire valve it can just be tightened(from the inside). The valve shouldn't go bad in only 3 years unless it got hit by something. Also try thighining or replacing the valve stem first.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:25 AM

Spoke to my buddy this a.m., he said his tire was low and brought it to his mechanic who said the (metal) valve stem was n/g. Bought a new one from Toyota ($108.) and went to a "tire place" who said they cannot put it on because now all the tires have to be calibrated and they cannot do it. It has to be done at a Toyota facility. I saw on here somewhere that the nut is torqued at 4 ft lbs.? I wonder if it was loose the whole time and didn't need to be replaced? Anyway, that is the story. So, as I asked before, IF he choses to go with the "old style" rubber stem/s...(which I guess he can), can the light on the dash be turned off??
Like I said, I'm new on this forum and I'm just the second party here getting some info for my friend.
Thnx. for all the replies!
StuBkr
Southern, NH
Old 05-04-2007, 04:05 AM

Threads like this make me miss the old days: Just stick a two dollar valve in there and you're done.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:59 AM

Hmmm. On my GMC there is a method to set the truck into learn mode after I do a rotation so that it knows which tire is on which corner. Basically, I move the headlight switch 4 times then I go around the truck and let air out of each tire. As I do this the horn will honk and that is the signal that the truck has learned the signal from that tire sensor. I am surprised that Toyota doesn't have a procedure like that in the owner's manual.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by StuBkr
I saw on here somewhere that the nut is torqued at 4 ft lbs.?
I believe it is more like 8-12 in. lbs. They can calibrate it at the shop unless it uses a OBDII to calibrate it. Some vehicles are as easy as pusing a reset button, some have a procedure and some you have to go to the dealer...
Old 05-04-2007, 08:11 AM

Alright, it seems He can replace the metal valve stems with rubber.
Now, can someone tell me PLEASE if the light on the dash can be turned off, AND HOW WOULD YOU DO IT (Naturally, if the rubber ones are put in)?!
Thnx.,
StuBkr
Southern, NH
Old 05-04-2007, 08:48 AM

Dude - You seem to be a little impatient trying to get your FREE advice for your friend. If the guys on this thread knew how to do it they would have told you already..... 1 minute with google and here is your answer....http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showth...=tire+pressure (shhhh....you could have done this yourself.....)
Old 05-04-2007, 10:37 AM

I'm not impatient. He is someone I see at the canteen truck sometimes in the a.m. who is 62 yrs. old that I'm trying to "help" out. Thought I would get some "FREE advice"/ information on here to see IF my friend was "getting the run around" or missing something. As far as "if the guys on this thread knew how to do it, they would have told you already" is like IF I knew where to look in the first place I wouldn't have come here asking for the FREE advice in the first place! BUT instead,(NOW that Your mentioning it, NOT me) not wanting to be rude and say, "you still didn't answer my question" which was how to shut the light off. The first reply was, "your light will stay on"........duh, no ☺☺☺☺! That's why I asked how to turn it off. The other responce was, "try tightening them" without even telling me how tight (unless I ask that question in another thread) and got no info on the light question. The $2. valve was fine but again no answer to the light. Now I get the torque for it which also was great.......so far so good....but still no answer on how to shut off the light (don't forget, this is IF he changed to the rubber valve stems which WAS mentioned). Yeh, after the 4th reply I started saying to myself......does anyone here know what the f^&%$ I'm talking about???? But I didn't want to be rude, so I stuck it out and waited....till You came along, and pretty much said it for me.......everyone on this Forum don't know what they are talking about, just like to see their post and name on here, give only half answers etc. But thank you anyway for holding my hand to point me in the right direction where to find these answers. IF I knew how/where to do it, I would have not wasted my time. Sorry, I was never on this site before and was trying to navigate around here too. Sorry YOTATECH Forum users for wasting Your time asking silly questions when I could have found it myself.
signing OFF......................StuBkr
Old 05-04-2007, 10:56 AM

Wow, guess I hit that nerve.....
Old 05-04-2007, 02:40 PM

There is no way to turn the light off. If you take the air sensor out it detects that and kicks the light. He can cut the wire to the light and turn it oof but that's it.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by StuBkr
I'm not impatient. He is someone I see at the canteen truck sometimes in the a.m. who is 62 yrs. old that I'm trying to "help" out. Thought I would get some "FREE advice"/ information on here to see IF my friend was "getting the run around" or missing something. As far as "if the guys on this thread knew how to do it, they would have told you already" is like IF I knew where to look in the first place I wouldn't have come here asking for the FREE advice in the first place! BUT instead,(NOW that Your mentioning it, NOT me) not wanting to be rude and say, "you still didn't answer my question" which was how to shut the light off. The first reply was, "your light will stay on"........duh, no ☺☺☺☺! That's why I asked how to turn it off. The other responce was, "try tightening them" without even telling me how tight (unless I ask that question in another thread) and got no info on the light question. The $2. valve was fine but again no answer to the light. Now I get the torque for it which also was great.......so far so good....but still no answer on how to shut off the light (don't forget, this is IF he changed to the rubber valve stems which WAS mentioned). Yeh, after the 4th reply I started saying to myself......does anyone here know what the f^&%$ I'm talking about???? But I didn't want to be rude, so I stuck it out and waited....till You came along, and pretty much said it for me.......everyone on this Forum don't know what they are talking about, just like to see their post and name on here, give only half answers etc. But thank you anyway for holding my hand to point me in the right direction where to find these answers. IF I knew how/where to do it, I would have not wasted my time. Sorry, I was never on this site before and was trying to navigate around here too. Sorry YOTATECH Forum users for wasting Your time asking silly questions when I could have found it myself.
signing OFF......................StuBkr
first of all, you are in the wrong section.
second of all, this is the type of crap that has really started showing up alot lately. Where are the MODS?
third, take the attitude elsewhere...
Old 05-04-2007, 06:10 PM

If Post #2 said "Pull the light out of the dash", what fun would that be? The conversational tone of the threads, many times, leads to other facts that some of us may not know and are happy to learn.