Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

SWEET FIND - Custom Lift Coils

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SWEET FIND - Custom Lift Coils

Hey all-

So, I am picking up my custom front spacers tomorrow that will add about another inch to the front. The rear has been pieced together for some time now, with the combination of custom spacer work and coils.

I have been searching and searching for an answer for the rear, and was counting on downey to take care that with their lift coils combined with my revtek 2.5" spacers...well, Downey is very very slow (sorry Lance), and has told me to "check back next week" for the last 2 months.

I found a killer answer. A company called Draco Spring in Texas can custom fab anything for any application, and have a 2-3 day turnaround time. I am shipping my coils to them tomorrow, and will have 2 new coils early next week that will be 4+ inches taller that the stock ones, with an identical spring rate so the ride is still nice and soft. They can build coilover components as well. I'll be sure to get pics up next week with the new front spacers and control arm uppers, as well as the new rear coils. I will still be a little tight with the 315's, but should be much better overall.

Billy
Old 02-12-2004, 06:54 PM

Just a thought but since you'll have the additional height, you may want to go 10-20% stiffer than stock to help combat the increased body roll you'll definitely experience.

Chris
Old 02-12-2004, 07:01 PM

Chris-

Hey, thanks bro. I meant to say that they can match stock spring rate, but can also stiffen them as well...thanks for setting my post straight.

And yeah, 20% stiffer is exactly what I am having fabbed.

Billy
Old 02-12-2004, 07:03 PM

How much? Are you getting a progressive spring? Details?

Chris
Old 02-12-2004, 07:18 PM

Chris-

Yeah, they will be progressive. They are going to quote me an exact price tomorrow afternoon...as well as fill me in on the details. I'll be sure to let you all know what I find out.

Billy
Old 02-12-2004, 07:54 PM

wow, that's a great find Billy!
Do they warranty or guarantee the springs won't sag or whatever?

Kind of a related question:
Do spacers shorten the life or make the stock springs sag? Someone told me that spacers cause sagging but I don't know enough about lifts to know.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:59 PM

From what I have gathered, they at least offer a 1 year warranty that covers everything...maybe longer, I am getting the rundown tomorrow. I called them today right before they closed, so I wasn't able to get all the info I wanted. I'll be sure to post when I find out more.

In regards to your second question, I am going to remain neutral...some people love spacers, others despise them. Personally I feel I am much better off with a coil taking care of the entire situation, than a coil plus a spacer. I truly believe this is just personal preference though.

Billy
Old 02-12-2004, 08:20 PM

Billy,
Since you have experience with ride, handling, feel of a lifted 4th--in multiple configurations, it seems! Let me ask you this:

I plan on a 2.5" lift (I love Lefty's lift, perfect for me). I am thinking of getting the Daystar spacers for it.

Now I spoke to a Taco guy (friend of Brad's =Tacobell). He HATED spacers on his Taco. I think Brad has coilovers on his... (where the spring can be adjusted for height...screwed directly onto the shock body?) and this is what the other guy recommended and was going to change over to.

What is it that is so bad about spacers? Even on a conservative 2.5" lift?
Old 02-12-2004, 10:04 PM
Contributing Member

FirstToy:

Spacers tend to make the suspension very stiff and harsh. Coilovers will ride much smoother. Depending on what kind of application you want (which means rock crawling, desert running... etc) will be the ultimate factor in what kind of setup you want. Spacers would be ideal for rock crawling as you need an aggresive stiff setup. Coilovers will be easier as you need more rebound response when driving on the desert. If you just want the looks and want to save $$ I'd say stick w/ the spacers. If you want to go w/ the bling bling look, the coilovers will be better (costs more ofcourse).

Billy:

Things you must consider. It's good to hear that you're going w/ more lift (woo hoo!), but here are some obstacles you will need to conquer:

Pan Hard Rod needs to be extended / relocated. Since you're lifting at extreme heights, you rear will be slightly end will be sitting 1-2" to the right. This should be evident when the spare is removed and looking at the rear end. You should notice the tires stick out more on the right side (Passenger). To fix this, you need to drop the panhard rod. This is a must or you will run into problems w/ the rear diff.

Brake lines (Both DISC and ABS lines) must be extended. Also the rear swaybar endlinks must be extended or your rear will run into problems.

So far, these are the only problems that I have noticed working on my truck. I am glad to hear of the cool stuff you're doing to your truck but I want to ensure that nothing bad happens to your truck on the long haul. Do it right the first time is my motto. Do lots of homework and do what is safe so you can drive the truck.

Make sure you get longer shocks or you'll have problems w/ the shock as the shock can only extend soo far. Not sure what kind of shocks you'll have to get but you'll have to search around. If you get the shocks that are too long, make sure you get some bumpstops and limiting straps.

Lastly, I would stiffen up the rear springs as the added height will have alot of bounce.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by Good Times
FirstToy:

Spacers tend to make the suspension very stiff and harsh. Coilovers will ride much smoother.
Hmmm, I guess I have some research to do.
I want the lift for off road clearance and the 4R certainly isn't a rockcrawler. I really don't want to sacrifice on-road ride.

Well, I hear mixed things on how it rides with spacers...guess I'll have to check it out in person.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you may also want to check into Valley Spring Works.

They build custom coils for people and from what i gather do a fair amount of jobs for bigger companies. They should be really reasonable.
Old 02-13-2004, 02:12 AM

Just to correct a few statements, spacers may or may not make your suspension stiffer. As far as the rear goes it definitely does not make it stiffer. As far as the front suspension goes, it totally depends on what spacer type you go with. The spacers that sit on top of the spring/shock assembly do not make the suspension any stiffer. The spacers that sit inside the shock assembly on top of the spring do make the spring a tad stiffer.

Chris
Old 02-13-2004, 07:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ravencr
The spacers that sit on top of the spring/shock assembly do not make the suspension any stiffer. The spacers that sit inside the shock assembly on top of the spring do make the spring a tad stiffer.
Chris, thanks for clearing that up. I forgot that they had 2 diff setups and thus can make the diff... doh
Old 02-13-2004, 12:15 PM

Lance-

Hey, thanks for all the help and info...I cant even begin to understand how many thing i would break if you weren't talking to me ahead of time. I understand the brake line extension part, I am yanking my rear sway, but need a little help on the pan hard rod. That is the angled bar that is higher on the passenger side than on the driver's?? the one connecting on the rear side of the back axle??...so i just need to drop it a couple inches?? Any help on this one would be awesome, as all the new suspension components will go on later next week.

The rear suspension has finally been completed. I am having custom brackets made to mount a firestone air bag on top of each stock coil, giving me about 3" of adjustability...I am actually extremely excited about this setup, as the ride quality should remain good, and also be adjustable thru the basically bulletproof bags. I'll be sure to keep you all updated.

Any help with the panhard would be awesome...have a good weekend everyone.

Billy
Old 02-13-2004, 12:18 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
You have a PM

Old 02-13-2004, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member

Billy:

Read up on this site. Steve has done extensive research so feel free to read up on his stuff

http://fastq.com/~sschaefer/misc.html