Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

suspension, body lift and other mod questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink suspension, body lift and other mod questions

Hello Members,

I'm just beginning to do some OR mods to my '99 4R 5spd SR5 3.4 (no locker).... Any help or guidance or advice would be very much appreciated. I've been lurking on many forums for some time and done lots o' searches, and YotaTech is by far the most knowledgable and intelligently moderated (kiss, kiss ).

I've purchased a pair of Stubbs Sliders (Richard Stubbs- what a great guy!) and a Tcase skid and some shackle hangers, but have yet to install them. And when I do will be based upon your recommendations.

What I'd like to do:

Very mild lift. 1"? The rear of my truck sags slighlty. I've read this is normal. Also, what's the advantage of a body lift vs. a suspention lift? Should I do the lift BEFORE the sliders install, or does it matter? Or depend on the type of lift ...

And new, Front and Rear bumpers with a winch...

Any other suggestions??

I don't want to make my truck a rock crawler. I'd just like a more competent trail runner that can handle the rough stuff if necessary, and still be used as daily driver, though I have another vehicle.

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-06-2006, 09:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I suggest suspension lift instead of body lift. If you do decide on a body lift though, do that before you install the sliders. For a suspension lift, it shouldn't matter... you can do it before or after the slider installation.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:16 AM

For a 1" lift I would look at the performance products coils. They should level you out.

But... If you want a front bumper with a winch that 1" will disappear very quickly. Do a search for the TJM bumper and see what other people are doing.

As for the sliders, good choice.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Based on how you describe your future plans, your truck sounds like it will end up just like Bob's (bob_98SR5), and coincidentally, similar to how mine will end up.

Contrary to what others may tell you, I wouldn't spend the money unless you find the money needs to be spent. You are doing the right thing by adding rock sliders and recovery points BEFORE you find your truck damaged or stuck with no way to extract it, but you could easily spend $1200 on a rear bumper that perhaps wasn't totally necessary. Install the rock sliders (if you have figured out that you will not be doing a body lift, otherwise wait), install the recovery points and the skids and wheel it to see what else you need. The more weight you add, the bigger the lift and tires, the more your daily-drivability and especially your gas mileage will suffer. That's why I suggest ensuring you need these things before you pay the price for it.

Your 1" lift options include spacers or the Performance Products lift like Bob has. You could also do a body lift, but do a search on its pros and cons before going through with it.

Good luck and have fun!
Ken
Old 04-06-2006, 09:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
spikestrip,

no ambigous thread titles, please. i've edited it for you.

you sound like me about 3 years ago! check out my profile in the community section for ideas. email me if you want to talk in more detail or we can continue the discussion in this thread too.

re suspension: pp 1" springs will give you about 1.5 lift. spacers will give you exactly 1". spacers obviously being the much more inexpensive route than the PP springs.

stubbs sliders install: richard is in the process of nailing down a dedicated so cal welder in costa mesa. the rate will be around $75 for the weld job. that is the price you should shoot for if you don't want to drive down to CM.

btw, i grew up near encino...sorta. studio city/north hollywood area. 13 years. NDHS grad. miss the area, but definitely do not miss the snobbery

bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 04-06-2006 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:15 AM

dont the 99 springs already sit 1" higher than the previous ones? would the PP springs then not acomplish anything besides maybe leveling out the rear? just clarifying?
Old 04-06-2006, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
spikestrip,

no ambigous thread titles, please. i've edited it for you.

you sound like me about 3 years ago! check out my profile in the community section for ideas. email me if you want to talk in more detail or we can continue the discussion in this thread too.

re suspension: pp 1" springs will give you about 1.5 lift. spacers will give you exactly 1". spacers obviously being the much more inexpensive route than the PP springs.

stubbs sliders install: richard is in the process of nailing down a dedicated so cal welder in costa mesa. the rate will be around $75 for the weld job. that is the price you should shoot for if you don't want to drive down to CM.

btw, i grew up near encino...sorta. studio city/north hollywood area. 13 years. NDHS grad. miss the area, but definitely do not miss the snobbery

bob

Bob, I've been secretly coveting your rig since I first bought my 4R, 'bout a year ago, and then found YotaTech, and through links, your website. We have email corresponded before when I asked questions about the Cobra CB and rear mounted Firestik II install. Paddlenbike is right on: Yours is the rig I'd like to emulate (Pardon my genuflect).

The PP springs seem like the way to go, for me. Minor lift and suspension improvement at the same time, but I do have concerns about the weight of the front bumper, when I install a TJM, which I see you have done. Did you find the weight caused the front to drop somewhat?

Richard Stubbs did mention in his emails that you were sourcing a welder in the area for installs of his products... I was going to email you about that.... Traveling to CM is no problem as I have many friends in the Orange area, near the circle, and travel there frequently. I lived in Irvine and on Balboa Island for 4 years, when going to UCI, so I know the area well...

And sorry 'bout the vague thread heading, but hey, I was shooting for emotion, not specificity, to highlight my need. Instead I got my bad. In the future, clarity will reign.

NDHS? did you mean North Holly HS? (Birmingham grad, myself, then UCI) ... Or was that a private school? .... Yes, I understand your complaints about the snobbery. Everytime I go to OC/ Santa Ana I always remark to my friends how different the area really is from LA, San Fernando Vally: How different the people look (I've never seen so many blonds!), and act. What can I say about Encino except it's NOT the city of brotherly love.... There really is an Orange curtain bewteen LA and OC. Which side would I rather be on? You've got Disneyland, but we've got Pamela Anderson and Lucy Liu (Our Matterhorns!?!)

Spikey (Alf)
Old 04-06-2006, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by KyleT
dont the 99 springs already sit 1" higher than the previous ones? would the PP springs then not acomplish anything besides maybe leveling out the rear? just clarifying?
Kyle,

I've read that about the '99 springs sitting higher. supposed to have 11" of stock ground clearence... Many people ask if the rig is already lifted... But I've not been able to verify how the PP springs will effect it... I think I will email the manuf and see what they say. But even if all I get is the rear leveling and some better spring rates, that'd be worth it. But you're implication that there might be a better choice for my model year is well taken.

Thanks much,

Alf.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:50 AM

We should be penalizing you for not coming to DV.

You may want to consider some Cornfed 1" spacers for the front and rear. At least then you know for sure you will add an inch to what you already have, rather than speculating. I may go this route myself, along with a set of new OME shocks all-around.

Last edited by paddlenbike; 04-06-2006 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by paddlenbike
We should be penalizing you for not coming to DV.

You may want to consider some Cornfed 1" spacers for the front and rear. At least then you know for sure you will add an inch to what you already have, rather than speculating. I may go this route myself, along with a set of new OME shocks all-around.
ARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!@!!!!!

Paddlenbike, I had my tent site reserv and even had the truck fully packed- food 'n everything-, for DV, 'cuz I wanted to see everyone's rigs! I woke up Thurs with a fever and sore throat, and and spent the next 4 days between the bed 'n bathroom! Not a pretty sight! And I'm still hacking up the remnants of that FLU! I emailed Goodtimes at the last minute to make sure someone who needed a spot got my tent site! Paid for!

Oh, man, you have no idea how bummed I was I didn't go... Every time I look at the posted pix, a little rivulet of goo slithers out my nose... But that may still be the left over symptoms, as well as regret...

I'll look into the Cornfed. And the OME are on the list.

Thanks,

S.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:38 AM

^^^ Sorry to hear that; and I didn't mean to rile you up to the point of...well...---->

We'll catch you next year, or better yet, this summer's trip to Mammoth.

Ken
Old 04-06-2006, 11:50 AM

Suspension lift: Usually involves longer/stiffer springs causing the suspenion to "sag" less, resulting in lift. Stiffens the ride, improves on-road handling. Give clearance for larger tires. Stiffer springs generally respond better to heavier weights (i.e. towing/hauling, winch/bumpers, etc.).

Body lift: rasies body off the frame, does not change ride, can require lengthening of certain things (brake lines, steering linkage, shifter linkage).

As for when to do the lift - suspenion lift can be done at any time. Ideally a body lift should be done before the sliders go on, especially if the sliders are to be welded on. This way you can position them so they fit nicely with the raised body. A suspenion lift lifts everything equally, so it will have no affect on sliders.

front bumpers - lots to choose from... Demello, ARB, TJM, Badland Bumpers, I'm sure there's more.

Rear bumpers - not much to choose from... most people are having them custom fabed.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by jacksonpt
Suspension lift: Usually involves longer/stiffer springs causing the suspenion to "sag" less, resulting in lift. Stiffens the ride, improves on-road handling. Give clearance for larger tires. Stiffer springs generally respond better to heavier weights (i.e. towing/hauling, winch/bumpers, etc.).

Body lift: rasies body off the frame, does not change ride, can require lengthening of certain things (brake lines, steering linkage, shifter linkage).

As for when to do the lift - suspenion lift can be done at any time. Ideally a body lift should be done before the sliders go on, especially if the sliders are to be welded on. This way you can position them so they fit nicely with the raised body. A suspenion lift lifts everything equally, so it will have no affect on sliders.

front bumpers - lots to choose from... Demello, ARB, TJM, Badland Bumpers, I'm sure there's more.

Rear bumpers - not much to choose from... most people are having them custom fabed.

Anyone here ever gone to Four X Doctor in Burbank http://www.fourxdoctor.com/ To get a bumper fabio'd up? Or Welding done ...??

O, can you recommend a place in or around San Fernando Valley, L.A?

Thx...
Old 04-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SpikeStrip
Anyone here ever gone to Four X Doctor in Burbank http://www.fourxdoctor.com/ To get a bumper fabio'd up? Or Welding done ...??

O, can you recommend a place in or around San Fernando Valley, L.A?

Thx...
I've called them for quotes on regear and such. They were a little pricey on labor for suspension work but pretty spot on for regearing labor.

I would recommend Jason Demello for welding or fabbing up bumpers. He's based in Orange County, which is about an hour away from fourxdoctor but he's a good guy and I believe, does a good job. He's also focused on Toyota trucks vs. fourx, which focuses on Jeeps.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Bob, I've been secretly coveting your rig since I first bought my 4R, 'bout a year ago, and then found YotaTech, and through links, your website. We have email corresponded before when I asked questions about the Cobra CB and rear mounted Firestik II install. Paddlenbike is right on: Yours is the rig I'd like to emulate (Pardon my genuflect).

The PP springs seem like the way to go, for me. Minor lift and suspension improvement at the same time, but I do have concerns about the weight of the front bumper, when I install a TJM, which I see you have done. Did you find the weight caused the front to drop somewhat?
the TJM 17 did not cause the front to droop at all. the weight difference is very minimal from the stock bumper to the TJM. i am not sure how much it would droop if you stuck a warn 8000 on it, but i imagine just a little. that weighs about 75lb, according to the website.

Richard Stubbs did mention in his emails that you were sourcing a welder in the area for installs of his products... I was going to email you about that.... Traveling to CM is no problem as I have many friends in the Orange area, near the circle, and travel there frequently. I lived in Irvine and on Balboa Island for 4 years, when going to UCI, so I know the area well...
ok, as soon as richard gives his thumbs up, im sure he'll post it on his website and/or i'll let you know.

And sorry 'bout the vague thread heading, but hey, I was shooting for emotion, not specificity, to highlight my need. Instead I got my bad. In the future, clarity will reign.
thanks

NDHS? did you mean North Holly HS? (Birmingham grad, myself, then UCI) ... Or was that a private school? .... Yes, I understand your complaints about the snobbery. Everytime I go to OC/ Santa Ana I always remark to my friends how different the area really is from LA, San Fernando Vally: How different the people look (I've never seen so many blonds!), and act. What can I say about Encino except it's NOT the city of brotherly love.... There really is an Orange curtain bewteen LA and OC. Which side would I rather be on? You've got Disneyland, but we've got Pamela Anderson and Lucy Liu (Our Matterhorns!?!)
notre dame in sherman oaks. i used to work at red lobster in studio city on ventura blvd and laurel canyon. even snobby people from studio city, encino, etc would eat there. man, you really learn to have thick skin when waiting on certain people

you should try to come out to pismo 4 and/or june/mammoth trip and before you plop down the big bills, see all the options in person.

ahh...must be nice to start fresh!

bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 04-06-2006 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5

notre dame in sherman oaks. i used to work at red lobster in studio city on ventura blvd and laurel canyon. even snobby people from studio city, encino, etc would eat there. man, you really learn to have thick skin when waiting on certain people

you should try to come out to pismo 4 and/or june/mammoth trip and before you plop down the big bills, see all the options in person.

ahh...must be nice to start fresh!

bob
Ahhh, Notre Dame, why did I zero out on that? I used to go there all the time for the yearly Carnivale, fund raisers... Nice school... I guess I was thinking LAUSD... Lucky you escaped that!

That Red Lobster is gone... Only ate there once... Always so darn crowded...

I'm gonna try and make Pismo so I can see what everything looks like! I really want a TJM front.

Thanks, Bob, and everyone, for all the excellent advice.

Alf