Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Soft brakes after axle repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soft brakes after axle repair

Hi there: to follow-up with my previous thread. I just had a rear axle seal replaced, along with a bad e brake drum + brake. That was the only work done on the car

However, my front brakes are now real soft, and my e brake does not engage. I can pull the lever all the way up, and no e brake stopping.

I think the mechanic forgot something, and I can probably just do it, but I don't know what it is. Cable? bleed out the brakes? Brake fluid are topped off, so the check's done there.

Many thanks.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:54 AM

why do you say ur front brakes are soft? you do realize that when you press the brakes it engages all the brakes?

if anything i think that had to take apart the rear drums to change seals. They probably didn't adjust the rear brakes properly after the work, also would explain why the parking brake doesn't work. i would have them readjust the rear brakes, i'm not sure if you have self adjusting brakes in the back, because if you do try pumping the parking brake, it might adjust it back to normal.

I bet the truck seems to nose drive a little now too...

Last edited by Alperovich; 12-09-2006 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:04 AM

Alex: Thanks.

It didn't dawn on me that it engages all brakes until 5 mins ago, so no. I guess I had a brain fart moment there. New things everyday I suppose.

They specific said that they had to adjust both brakes because I had uneven wear on the left pads. Cables perhaps?
Old 12-09-2006, 07:16 AM

yea, i guess it could be but even then the softness of the brakes wouldn't happen because the service brakes are hydraulic and the parking brake is mechanical, you should take it back to them to have it looked at, it sometimes hard to determine the problem with out seeing the truck in person, but the problem sounds like maladjusted rear brakes to me,

lets say you put the parking brake on and try to drive the truck, does it seem like they are gripping? is it any different braking forward or reverse?

sorry i lack extensive experience with these particular trucks, i just got into the toyota scene, however i do have mechanical experience but anyways since they did work on the brakes, they should recheck it for free. A improperly working stopping system is a major safety hazard and they were the last to work on it, which also makes them legally liable.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

Misadjusted rear brakes is spot-on. I just did my axle seals and rear brakes. On my first go around, I didn't adjust the rear brakes properly and had the same soft peddle syndrome. Also, my ebrake went all the way up with no braking action. Once I properly adjusted the ebrake/rear brakes, everything worked great.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

Okay I am reawakining this thread cause I need Help and I need it before 11AM Tuesday Morning...

I had the rear axel seals done a while back...
I have the soft brake syndrome, but my e-brake works perfectly...

Today I was in stepdads Runner and his brakes felt nice and stiff
(but not like it wasn't working, it was just working well, moms lexus is the same way)

You have to push my pedal about half way down to start to feel like your stopping...
I have nose dirve syndrome as well...

I am towing a trailer with a piano on it up to NYC Tuesday and would like a little stiffer of a brake...
(yes a piano)

The shoes are new all around (all brakes where done at the same time when the axel seals where done...)

Is there some way to make the brake tighter?
Old 12-10-2006, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

Anyone?

I keep reading through the forum but not getting what I need answered...

My brakes work just fine, but the pedal is not as stiff as I would like it to be...

I would take stepdads but unfortunetly the trailer is stuck to my Runner till he gets back from North Caroline Firday...
(he took his set with him and the keys for the lock on the railer is one there...)
His pedal is nice and stiff...

My pedal was nice an stiff before the rear axel work
(When I took it from toyota to the other garage for the rear axel work... a total of 2 miles so the front brakes couldn't have gone that quick...)

But it is too spongy and I am affraid to drive it into the city with a piano behind me...
The last thing I need is to rear end someone...
Old 12-10-2006, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

You need to jack up the rear axle and put it on stands. Take the e-brake off and make sure it's out of gear. Make small adjustments to each side by sticking a flathead screwdriver into the drum backing plate access port and moving the starwheel up a couple clicks each time. Then spin the wheel you are working on. It should spin around with very little braking resistance. Do the same for the other side.

Also, you might want to bleed the brakes again just to be safe.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
You need to jack up the rear axle and put it on stands. Take the e-brake off and make sure it's out of gear. Make small adjustments to each side by sticking a flathead screwdriver into the drum backing plate access port and moving the starwheel up a couple clicks each time. Then spin the wheel you are working on. It should spin around with very little braking resistance. Do the same for the other side.

Also, you might want to bleed the brakes again just to be safe.
ooo
That will be tough...
Grr...
Stepdad...
I can only jack up the 4Runner with the stock jack...
But all the brakes work just fine...
Will turing the star wheel a couple of clicks make the pedal harder?
The brakes where bleed again and still had the problem...
I feel I am missing something very obvious...
I wish it could be like my mountain bike brakes,
Just loosen a screw, pull the line a little tighter, tighten the screw, and volia the brake is tighter...
Old 12-10-2006, 07:22 PM
Contributing Member

Okay I just read somehwere tha adjusting that rear barke liek you said will solve the problem...

But my question is...

Can I do it withough jacking up the Runner?
Old 12-11-2006, 02:19 AM

/\ you can do it with out jacking it up, its just alot harder to get to the spot when the wheels are on the ground and you'll have to roll the whole truck to make sure it adjusted enough or if you need to loosen it up. I'd say have the place that just did the brake work fix it, since they ˟˟˟˟ something up!
Old 12-11-2006, 04:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IIRC, you can put the e-brake on and drive in reverse and it will auto adjust the rear brakes. It is worth a try, even if it doesn't work it won't hurt anything.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:18 AM

Chock the front wheels, jack the rear so the wheels are just off the ground, put in neutral, adjust brakes and check by spinning wheel by hand, lower and drive -

really only a 10 minute job and the stock jack is fine for doing this if that is ll you have - just do one side at a time.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member

Alright,
I just got up
So I will go check this out now then...
Old 12-11-2006, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

The "e-brake in reverse" trick didn't work for me, that's why I didn't suggest it. My brakes were too far out of adjustment, and yours might be too.

You really should base the starwheel adjustment on free-spinning wheels, thus you should not get under there with just a bottle jack.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 12-11-2006 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:03 PM
Contributing Member

Well I will def tomorrow...
Today I thought I would be able to do it but as I was heading out to the Runner to get ready I got a phone call and needed to run some errands...
(so hopped in moms car and left)
Tomorrow I will be up extra early since I also have a funeral to go to and get r' done...

Thanks for all the imput guys!!