Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Seeking Opinions on Doing a Turn Down after Muffler Outlet

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 04:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeking Opinions on Doing a Turn Down after Muffler Outlet

I am looking into doing a muffler on my 3rd gen. I want to hack off my stock muffler and put in a Dynomax Super Turbo and then just a turn down Right before the rear axle.

My question that I am seeking opinions on is: How big a deal is it to have my exhaust exit under the vehicle? I know that exhaust may sometimes build up under an SUV at a stop but with mine being suspension and BL'd is this a real concern?

Opinions Please.......
Old 09-06-2006, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

Not really sure about your question but all what I did was have the muffler guy replace my OEM muffler w/ my magnaflow. I kept everything else stock including the turn out after the rear wheel. Have you thought about doing it this way? It seems much easier unless there is an advantage w/ clearance on how you were planning to do it.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

Will a turndown pass CA smog check? Are you in the Enhanced Smog Check area?

Something to think about.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
sure do it and have exhaust fumes fill up the inside of the truck
Old 09-06-2006, 06:31 PM

Eric are you trying to save money or just want it louder? My Mustangs and Fairlanes all had turn downs. Nice extra rumble. Plus when you stop on a dirt road in front of your friends, you throw up clouds of billowing dust 'smoke'. I never really had a problem with exhaust fumes in the cars.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recently had a turn down put on my exhaust temporarily (for about a week) untill there was time to do a proper exit. The fumes and noise were unbareable. You couldn't sit in the back seat and as soon as you rolled down the rear cargo window, the whole cabin filled with very strong fumes. I was also not running a cat so it probably made it worse but I still would not recommemend it.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Eric, I would run it up tight and have it exit right behind the rear wheel.

I thought about the turn down idea for about 30 seconds, but then I thought about my daughter in the back seat and didnt want to worry about fumes.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

I am always crushing the tail pipe when I wheel and the muffler I want is shorter than the stock one by 3 inches so the stock pipe will not work unless I extend the piping also. The body lift has also not helped the clearance of the tail pipe even though the bumper is higher. Just thinking about it.

I have run lots of hot rod cars with turn downs and never had an issue with fumes in the interior. Maybe the Runner is just designed different.

I will find a better way to get that tail pipe out from under the Runner.

Thanks for the input!

Last edited by ecchamberlin; 09-06-2006 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by ecchamberlin
I am always crushing the tail pipe when I wheel

I will find a better way to get that tail pipe out from under the Runner.
+1000

When you figure something out let me know, I'm definitely in the market for a new muffler/exhaust setup. I was looking at schaefers site and still like the way he took advantage of the BL to fit his 35" tire under there, and also reroute the exhaust wider.

It looks like it is sort of clipped just short of the rear bumper with more of a rearward angle. It looks like it would clear better than what we have know.

Old 09-07-2006, 06:19 AM
Contributing Member

The exhaust shops here in Socal are really expensive. I was shocked how much they wanted to bend a custom tailpipe. I like my spare inside strapped to the roll bar. So that is not a problem.

I thought about having it exit in front of the rear tire also but that seems like it would get crushed also. the best thing to do would be to make a BruceTS style bumper and run it through the plating. But that is an entirely diff project.

I am gonna buy the muffle today from Summit and then go the the local Kragen and buy a few extra pieces and parts and make something work. Then I will take back what I didn't need.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:25 AM
Contributing Member

Eric--call the guy I used...Al or Mike at Budget Muffler
Old 09-07-2006, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by ecchamberlin
I am looking into doing a muffler on my 3rd gen. I want to hack off my stock muffler and put in a Dynomax Super Turbo and then just a turn down Right before the rear axle.

My question that I am seeking opinions on is: How big a deal is it to have my exhaust exit under the vehicle? I know that exhaust may sometimes build up under an SUV at a stop but with mine being suspension and BL'd is this a real concern?

Opinions Please.......
I have the Dynomax Super Turbo. It is the quietest muffler I have ever had. A couple of weeks ago, I crumpled my tip and did a turndown as a tempory measure till I got a new bumper. I have not had a problem with fumes at all. The BIG problem is that it is LOUD !!!!! If you're a ricer it is a really cool sound. It's like a Magnaflow x10 loud. As soon as I get my rear bumper I'm getting rid of the turndown.

......... BruceTS, where are the bumpers ????????
Old 09-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tour4fun
......... BruceTS, where are the bumpers ????????
Yeah Bruce! Where are they?

So a quick update. I just bought a Gibson round 2.25"x2.25" muffler that has a 24" body and 30" overall length. This thing should fit perfect!

I had a Gibson system on my 99 Taco and I really liked it. They do not make a cat back system for V6 Runners but just this morning I found a site that sells just the mufflers. 4 Wheel Online is the only place I know of that sells just the mufflers instead of an entire kit. And since reading up on going to a 2.5" outlet and tailpipe hurting power and MPG this should be great.

Not sure if anyone has tried this muffler on a 3rd gen. I will update the thread to tell you all how it goes.

No more silent Runner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-08-2006, 06:35 PM

i pretty much have the exact same thing as youre talking about. i made my own exhaust from mandrel mild 2.5 tubing and used a magnaflow straight though muffler. then hacked it directly over the axle.

worked fine before my BL and works fine after.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Eric, I have a turndown on my 4runner, its right before the axle.

I have had it since last year or so, and there is absolutely no exhaust fumes. The sound is pretty loud, but, I like it.

I had hacked off my tailpipe after getting smashed once, and it was kinda rusty anyways. The sound was supppperrr loud, so the turndown actually silenced it considerably.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:51 PM
Contributing Member

I hacked mine off right behind the axle after I put my body lift on. I had a custom setup and it looked awful after the lift. Its just temporary until I get off my behind and get the initiave to make my own.