Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Rock Slider square tube diameter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rock Slider square tube diameter?

I am planning on welding up some rock sliders for my 97 tacoma and was curious as to what thickness I should get the 2x2 square tubing in. I believe it comes in 1/8, 3/16, up to 3/8. I can get ahold of some 3/16 at the local steel shop for roughly 5 dollars a foot. The 1/8 stuff I can get for much much cheaper. What are you thoughts opinions...I plan on using my sliders to protect the rocker panel of my taco, as well as extra jack points, and of course from time to time protection from rocks should I get the urge to go "crawling" somewhere in the buckeye state.
Thanks in advance,
Chad
Old 10-04-2004, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen people use 1/8", and that's what I used for my flatbed, but for sliders I would go with 3/16". Also, I would go with 1.5"x1.5" instead of 2"x2", but that's just a personal preference.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

I'd advise you against the square tubing. Mother nature hates square corners on everything and trys to rub them off every chance she gets.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:41 PM

Square tubing...

Unfortunately, I do not have access to a tube bender right now, so square tubing it will be. I have seen some really good looking/functional square sliders on many tacomas/and pickups over the years.
I was thinking I'm going to need about 25 foot of total tubing when it's all said and done. Thanks YotaTech members! Any tips/ideas on square tubing sliders let me know.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:01 PM

It's just my opinion but.....
Use 1/8". Do NOT go thicker than the frame! Sliders are CONSUMABLES. Making them stronger than the frame leaves the frame taking all the stresses. Let them do what they are meant for and take the abuse rather than your frame.
That's just me though. To each his/her own.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Here's what I use for mine: http://www.4Crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...andardUltimate

I like 3/16" wall for the outer tube, 1/8" wall for the inner but 1/8" works fine for the outer, too. 3/16" has a nice round radius on the corners. I prefer square sliders to round, I've had both and square is so much better from a practical sense. Sure, round for roll cages and if you are building for the lightest weight, round is more efficient. But there is more to sliders than that. I can't begin to count the times I slipped off my round sliders and bruised/scraped my shins.

Old 10-04-2004, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by SloPoke
It's just my opinion but.....
Use 1/8". Do NOT go thicker than the frame! Sliders are CONSUMABLES. Making them stronger than the frame leaves the frame taking all the stresses. Let them do what they are meant for and take the abuse rather than your frame.
That's just me though. To each his/her own.
That makes sense. I've never thought about it that way before.

I don't even have sliders. I bought some 4" x 2" x 3/16" angle iron and just mounted it directly to the rocker panels (sort of like Jeep Wrangler rocker panel protectors). Sure they aren't as strong as sliders, but they work and they don't sacrifice one bit of ground clearance. I've come down on them pretty hard, and only got some small scratches on them.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:40 AM

Go with round tubing. I 've seen square tube slider get hung up alot! I use 1 3/4 in. .120 wall tubing. I abuse the hell out of em and they don't budge.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Never been hung up on my square tube sliders. The outer radius on the 3/16" wall tubing is pretty close to the same as the 1.5" round tubing sliders I used to run. Both of my round and square sliders have had gouges running the full length of the tube so I know both had been doing their job.

I like square tube because it provides more secure footing for standing on and I find I stand on mine a lot. Also provides more secure purchase for a HiLift jack (no need for a jack adapter for lifting) and I have also used a HiLift on mine more than a few times.

But round is indeed stronger for a given amount of material and if that is a primary concern, then go round. Either shape will work fine. I'm using round in my roll cage, but bumpers and sliders are square tube.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:05 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
I like square tube because it provides more secure footing for standing on and I find I stand on mine a lot. Also provides more secure purchase for a HiLift jack (no need for a jack adapter for lifting) and I have also used a HiLift on mine more than a few times.

But round is indeed stronger for a given amount of material and if that is a primary concern, then go round. Either shape will work fine. I'm using round in my roll cage, but bumpers and sliders are square tube.
Round looks cooler and YES, you do need a Hi-Lift Slider Adapter!

Old 10-05-2004, 08:10 AM

Great thread guys Thanks for the all information. I am going to go with 1/8 thick 2x2 tubing. SloPoke, that was an interesting take on the tubing diameter dilemma. Well thought out. 4 Crawler, thanks for the pictures! I'll be getting ahold of you for a 1" rb bl here soon.
1/8 would make it affordable for me to fab up my own. 3/16 2x2, with steel prices sky-rocketing, would be just cheaper to mailorder and pay the extra shipping. I kind of want to 'fab' my own sliders up and add a little kick to the back so I can use the sliders to pivot around trees in tight situations.
Sweet.
-Chad
Old 10-05-2004, 08:52 AM

Rogers idea of using 3/16" for the main slide tube but using 1/8" for the inners and outriggers is also a good idea. This will allow the 1/8" inners and outriggers to absorb the stresses rather than the frame whilst at the same time, having a stouter slide rail. The draw back to this and the reason I use all 1/8" is the weight. 3/16" is considerable heavier than 1/8" but with that comes more strength and more rounded corners. It's a toss up either way. I personally think the 1/8" is plenty strong and will trade the weight savings for any possible gains in the main tubes strength. That's just me though. To each his/her own.

Don't forget to post some pics of your finished product when your done.

Happy Fabin'

Edited: My opinion is only based on a daily driver. If it's a trail rig only then it really don't matter and thicker is probably better as long as the design will take most of the stresses rather than the frame.

Last edited by SloPoke; 10-05-2004 at 09:02 AM.