Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Possible Mod?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 03:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Possible Mod?

I have an '03 sport edition and i was thinkin if there is any way to add functionality to the hood scoop. Anyone think that there is a way to add functionality or even just partial functionality to it? Behind the mesh wiring in the scoop there is some type of cardboard-ish material...i dont know if that can be removed and just have air blowing onto the engine...any ideas are appreciated or comments to tell me i am retarded are welcome...lol
Old 05-22-2003, 04:08 AM

All you can do is try right? Provide pics if you go through it. There was a 3rd with a functional hoodscoop at Outdoorwire I think, but I'm not sure.
Old 05-22-2003, 04:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Vato Loco
All you can do is try right? Provide pics if you go through it. There was a 3rd with a functional hoodscoop at Outdoorwire I think, but I'm not sure.
http://www.geocities.com/sailbop/PICS.html
Old 05-22-2003, 04:56 AM
Contributing Member

Link didn't work for me.. It maxed out the bandwidth

I don't think there is any performance you will get out of opening the scoop up. The only way I can think that it would help is if you ran the intake up there, but that would be a pretty hard task to do.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ditto
Old 05-22-2003, 06:11 AM

Solely my opinion, but I think his 4Runner hood scooped is "hooked up", but I don't know if I'd call it functional.

If he kept the hole going to his fender open, his engine would tend to suck more air from there still. If he closed it up, I don't know if he'd be getting enough air, and fast enough.

Some of us remove the "air box elbow" because it restricts the speed of air flow. He's just added twists & bends to his air flow system.

Also, because the tubes sit right above the engine and below the hood, I'd say they're quite hot at any given time, most likely warming up the air more than the airbox would, cancelling out any gains that may have been realized by using a hood scoop for its intended purpose. Because the tubes curve & bend, it slows the air in there down, allowing even more time for the air in those tubes to warm up.

What do you guys (who can view the link) think?
Old 05-22-2003, 06:26 AM
Contributing Member

Hboss-

I pretty much agree with your opinion. I tell what would be trick, is having an intercooler (air to water, or air to air) of slim design, hooked up to the TRD SC somehow on a 4Runner with hoodscoop. The routing of the intake pipe would be complicated, that's for sure. But, how cool would that be? It would definetly help drop the AIT during boost. Granted SC'd AIT's are not as high as a Turbo applications, but I still think this would work.

Anybody seen the WRX intercooler? Its pretty small, and mounts to a similar location near the hood scoop. Even though its a horizontally opposed engine, the intake runners are on top and the sides of the engine. So space is limited.

Another option for us N/A guys, is to run a collector from the scoop around to the airbox. That would work too. Ahh, the possibilities.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by HBoss
Solely my opinion, but I think his 4Runner hood scooped is "hooked up", but I don't know if I'd call it functional.

If he kept the hole going to his fender open, his engine would tend to suck more air from there still. If he closed it up, I don't know if he'd be getting enough air, and fast enough.

Some of us remove the "air box elbow" because it restricts the speed of air flow. He's just added twists & bends to his air flow system.

Also, because the tubes sit right above the engine and below the hood, I'd say they're quite hot at any given time, most likely warming up the air more than the airbox would, cancelling out any gains that may have been realized by using a hood scoop for its intended purpose. Because the tubes curve & bend, it slows the air in there down, allowing even more time for the air in those tubes to warm up.

What do you guys (who can view the link) think?
Ok just viewed the link. I don't see in any way, how this could be better or even comparable to the deckplate mod. Those hoses are too skinny, they are "ribbed" and have bends in it. Looks like an air restriction rather than a performance mod!! Pretty much anything below a 2.5" hose would restrict the airflow.

The only way I could see a hoodscoop being a "fuctional mod" is to custom make an airbox that fits directly under the scoop, then goes to the throttle body.

Just like my Celica has, but an airbox in place of the intercooler.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:35 AM
Contributing Member

So based on what I have read, i guess its not worth adding a similar setup like the pictures going to the airbox...but i have a question...would it be worth just opening it up and having it blow right onto the engine? It seems that it is not perfectly sealed from the factory since i see water drips in when i open the hood after it has rained...so i wonder if i just opened it up completely would be better...what do you think
Old 05-22-2003, 06:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by LIVE4SWELL
So based on what I have read, i guess its not worth adding a similar setup like the pictures going to the airbox...but i have a question...would it be worth just opening it up and having it blow right onto the engine? It seems that it is not perfectly sealed from the factory since i see water drips in when i open the hood after it has rained...so i wonder if i just opened it up completely would be better...what do you think
I would be a little leary of doing that. The TPS is right there, and I would hate to see that go while driving. Other than that, there isnt much to damage. A manual flap to open and close the hood scoop would be better.

You would probably find all sorts of bugs, rocks, and birds in there after a long road trip.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry but my brain is not working this morning...TPS? not clicking what that is...lol...also about rocks or anything getting in there....there is a mesh metal piece in the opening, so nothing would really get in there i dont think

So you think it would be effective just having air blow onto the engine directly?
Old 05-22-2003, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

I know many people who have hoods on their cars with relatively large vents on them that are just open to the engine. I don't see why it would be any different. It would provide a little better cooling I could imagine, although maybe not enough to be significant. The only downside would be your engine would get really dirty.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry but my brain is not working this morning...TPS? not clicking what that is...lol...also about rocks or anything getting in there....there is a mesh metal piece in the opening, so nothing would really get in there i dont think

So you think it would be effective just having air blow onto the engine directly?
The TPS= Throttle Position Sensor. I don't really think having an open scoop would really effect it, you could just put electric grease on the connector and you will probably be ok.

I don't think that the air you will be taking in will cool the engine to a point where you would notice. But it will bring in cooler air into the engine bay and push out the hot air out through the bottom. I don't think its really necessary, but you can try it.

As for rocks, get some rain gutter guard and slap that over the hole, that will keep large rocks, etc out.

Last edited by SLC Punk; 05-22-2003 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:29 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry but my brain is not working this morning...TPS? not clicking what that is...lol...So you think it would be effective just having air blow onto the engine directly?
Throttle Position Sensor

I dont know about the air blowing on the engine theory. The stock fan already does that, or fan(s) if you go electric like some of us.

All I know, is if I had the hood scoop I would make it functional. Seems like people would ask all the time if it was anyway.