See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Pass side window motor intermittent problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pass side window motor intermittent problem

The other day, my gf noticed her window wouldn't go down anymore. She tried using her switch, I tried using mine, nothing worked.

I figured I needed another window motor (or regulator or whatever you call it), so I called the stealer... Ah-ha! 475$CAN.

WTF???!

The thought of having a truck with a permanently closed window began to sink in, but then... I picked up the kids from school the other day and all of a sudden I noticed the girl had opened the window.

The day after, no dice, it wouldn't work.

Then, just recently, it was working again.

Has anyone ever had that happen? Would could cause this? Clearly the switches are not faulty, because both of them either work or don't.

Truck is a 99 BTW.

TIA
Old 06-24-2005, 10:08 PM

Mine does the same thing but I've tracked it down to a loose connection in the drivers side master control switches. Sometimes the switch contacts get dirty from contact arcing and if you're really careful you can open the switch and clean the contacts without breaking the locking tabs. They're silver plated and clean up well.

Paul
Old 06-25-2005, 05:45 AM
Contributing Member

im no sure if it would be related to the drivers side controls. my pass switch is intermittent also, i removed it, cleaned it up and reinstalled it only to have the same intermittent operation. the drivers main control always works, make sure you havent accidently pressed the window lock button. dont ask how i know that.

lee
Old 06-25-2005, 08:55 AM

I'm having the same type problem only all my windows lock up it seems opening and closing the door can trigger them to work again, although only temporarly. I ve noticed the locks don't work either when this happens. used some electrical cleaner /spray on driver side switches but didn't really help. I hate electrical issues as there are way to many wires to be chasing. If anyone knows anymore please do tell.

Suzukipro
Old 06-27-2005, 05:28 AM

Well, I do know that I first realized it worked again after pressing/depressing the window lock button. It's always in the unlocked position though, don't worry, I ruled that out early on.

I will dismantle the doors, remove the switches and clean them.

Weird issue though.

Old 06-27-2005, 06:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Dryheat
Mine does the same thing but I've tracked it down to a loose connection in the drivers side master control switches. Sometimes the switch contacts get dirty from contact arcing and if you're really careful you can open the switch and clean the contacts without breaking the locking tabs. They're silver plated and clean up well.
Paul, do you have specifics on this? How to get the switch panel out? How to clean the contacts?

thanks
Old 06-27-2005, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by payyourtoll
Paul, do you have specifics on this? How to get the switch panel out? How to clean the contacts?

thanks
Actually, when you remove the door panel (unclip it, remove screw in the handle, unclip the little door opening thingie from said handle), you can reach from underneath and pop it out. It's either the rear goes in first or the front, I dunno, so it's better to do it from underneath, so you don't break anything.

I *think* the Haynes manual covers this.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Hugo
Actually, when you remove the door panel (unclip it, remove screw in the handle, unclip the little door opening thingie from said handle), you can reach from underneath and pop it out. It's either the rear goes in first or the front, I dunno, so it's better to do it from underneath, so you don't break anything.

I *think* the Haynes manual covers this.
you can gently pry up the front end then slide the entire assy forward. there is enough harness to pull out to get at the plug. one word of caution, pay very close attention to the SMALL PARTS that are inside the switch. a pair of fine needle nose pliers will come in handy to get those little springs back into place. use an eraser on the end of a pencil to reach inside the switch to clean up the contact points. do one at a time so you have a point of reference when reinstalling. PATIENCE is a must when doing this! those little springs can be very difficult to get back into place.

lee
Old 06-27-2005, 11:19 PM

The most important part is not to break the locking tabs when taking it apart. The second most important part is not to lose the springs. If both master control and passenger side control don't work I would think that its a loose connection somewhere. When I had intermittent problems I was parking my car at work and the passenger window refused to go up. In desparation I smacked the side of the armrest and it started working. Good luck.

Paul
Old 06-30-2005, 02:35 PM

I have all windows now working (at least for now) with the exception of the rear passenger window. Does it seem too strange that my motor would go out in the rear passenger door while I'm already having other window probs or may they have caused it to go bad?. Actually I still need to test the motor (Any tips besides taking off other door panel and conneting?) Hopefully its another short in the rear passenger door, Although this may be harder to fix than replacing the motor.