Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

NuB 2 yotas, finally made the plunge.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NuB 2 yotas, finally made the plunge.

If this is in the wrong spot, please feel free to move it, moderators!

Hey y'all.

Trading my '98 Isuzu Trooper to my cousin for an '84 long bed yota, 5-speed with AC that has been in the family since it was new.

It's rough in the bed, as they all seem to be anywhere that gets snow, but it's a good truck, and I'm excited.

There's very little aftermarket for Isuzus, and what is there is really expensive, so I decided to give into the urge and go yota!

The trade-in's crappy on a '98 Troooper, like $3700-4200, so I was excited when my cousin offered me the truck, which has 31x11.50 LTBs on 15x8" black rockcrawler wheels, plus $3k, for the troop.

Not a bad deal, since the wheels and tires were $600+ new, and they're still really good.

So, I figure I got the truck for free.

I'm taking what I figure to be a $6k hit, but I need the $3k in cash right now since we're trying to get into a new house, and need almost $20k down.

Anyway, if you guys could give me a run down on the main things I need to look out for maintenance-wise, I'd appreciate it, because I figure reading through all of the posts would be uber time-consuming.

Thanks, and I'm glad to be here!

Last edited by erslincoln; 10-05-2004 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:12 PM

Not the dreaded '84... Check out pirate4x4.com as they have lots of straight axle truck tech. Nice truck...
Old 10-05-2004, 07:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what you've got is a great truck...really dependable and easy to work on.

maintenance-wise, after '82 or so toyota switched to plastic timing chain guides on the 22R so you may want to change them out for metal guides if your motor makes a lot of rattling noises when you start it. also, check the knuckles on the front axle to see if there's goo splattered all over underneath. usually that indicates a toasted inner axle seal and knuckle wipers and it's a good idea to replace them or rebuild the axle. the kit is about $100 and it will probably take a day to do if it's your first time. it's usually a minor problem, i'd imagine 80% of pre-86 toyotas leak through the knuckles

other than that, the drivetrain is rock-solid. truck should be good to run for many years if it's in good shape now
Old 10-05-2004, 07:24 PM

It's rough in the bed? Spray in bed liner!

22r is a great motor. G52 5spd is good also. How many miles on the truck?

Check all routine maintenance items such as fluids, hoses, wires, plugs, belts, battery terminals, plugs, etc. I would even change all the fluids and hoses and give the truck a good once over so you know exactly where you stand. Doesn't cost much to do, just some time.

Reading posts is time consuming but it is definitely worth the effort. Fit it in when you can.

Have fun!
Old 10-05-2004, 08:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ahh yes, and if/when it comes time to do your spark plugs and wires, only use NGK or denso!
Old 10-06-2004, 05:39 AM

U need any parts I'm in Omaha. Have some 85 and 87 4 runner parts I'm sure some of the parts interchange? Let me know. I have like some carb parts and a extra core engine. Thinking about using it in zuki for mock up.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:01 PM

I really want to thank you all for your help and input, but it looks like it's going to be a no-go.

It needs the following, after daylight inspection and actually being around it:

ALL of the exhaust gaskets,
valve cover gasket,
lower rad hose,
windshield,
driver's side door window fixed,
AC is in unknown status,
bed's really rotten, which isn't really a big deal,
runs like fido's a$$, due in large part, I think, to the carb.

The thing is, my uncle bought it new, changed the oil but otherwise ignored it. Then my granddad bought it in something like '88, and it was parked from that point until about a year ago, when my cousin unearthed it and began fixing stuff that was wrong, to include, the timing chain cover, alternator, voltage regulator, and stuff like that.

But, all of that stuff had been done by a shop, since he seems not at all inclined to wrench on it himself.

He led me to believe, in good faith in trading my '98 Trooper plus $3k for it, that it was fine.

Well it's not. The only thing saving it from being a $200 truck is the fact that it's 4WD.

Brakes are good, clutch seems fine, and it's running around on 31x11.50 LTBs on 15x8 black rockcrawler wheels.

Such is life. Now, if he makes it $5k, and the truck, then I'll do it. That way, I can have a crappy DD tercel, or something, while I'm wrenching on the yota.

I dunno.

Thanks again, y'all. I'll be back. Just not right now.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Screw the truck. Keep the Isuzu. Get the house. Then do some dealin' to get you a new set of wheels. You manage to screw up the house deal because of something you want but don't need, you'll just be hurting yourself and the wife. Family comes first.