Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Newest mod...curtains!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 08:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Newest mod...curtains!

Yes, that's right, curtains. My wife and I camp a lot and sleep a lot in the back of the runner ( he he). The only bad part about sleeping in the back is that when the sun comes up it often shines right on us -- forcing us to wake up early and smell the damn pine scent and listen to the damn birds. [best homer voice] Stupid sun. J/K.

Anyways, I'll be sure to post a full write up detailing the hours of hard work that went into sticking the velcro on the windows. Oh, and I think I gained 5hp.

Now, where do I get a portable waterbed...

Steve

PS. if the Runner's a rockin, don't come a knockin...
Old 09-22-2002, 09:27 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Newest mod...curtains!

This was a legit mod until I read this...

Originally posted by Robinhood150

PS. if the Runner's a rockin, don't come a knockin...

This will also be good if you store tools and such, out of site out of mind..
Old 09-22-2002, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the carpet match the drapes?

I was wondering how you get a good night sleep with all of that stuff in there, but then I remembered you are the furry little fella that can curl up on about one square foot...
Old 09-22-2002, 09:54 PM

I've been wanting to try and rig up something like this for my 4Runner, just haven't gotten around to it I know what you mean about not wanting to wake up to the damn pine scent, and the damn birds My girlfriend and I go camping as often as we can, and we usually sleep in the back of my 4Runner, and we've been getting tired of trying to hang jackets and blankets to cover the windows, and even then light still comes in.

I can't wait for the write up It looks a lot better than what i was planning on doing, I was going to rig up some actual curtain rods, and short curtains What did you use for the window covers? It looks almost like nylon or something.

-Braden
Old 09-22-2002, 10:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 91Runner
It looks a lot better than what i was planning on doing, I was going to rig up some actual curtain rods, and short curtains What did you use for the window covers? It looks almost like nylon or something.

-Braden
It kinda feels like nylon, I'm not sure though. I just got the cheapest stuff I could find at the fabric place. If you do it, splurge a little on the fabric and get something that won't fray easily. Or have somebody who actually knows how to sew to do it right. I have all kinds of thread hanging everywhere because it frayed so bad. The good thing is that I can fold up this thin fabric and stuff it anywhere.

Steve
Old 09-22-2002, 11:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys:

Have you thought about using suction cups and threading the fabric onto it? I got that idea from those cheesy, almost-see-thru black sunshades that old people seem to use alot when they go on long trips. This way, you won't have to worry about velcro residue on the windows.

You can buy those suction at bath stores or I would also imagine hardware stores.

Oh, and what's up w/ you guys not liking the damn birds and pine scent?!?! I go camping just for that!

Bob
Old 09-23-2002, 06:16 AM

The suction cups are a really good idea, I was also thinking instead of putting the velcro on the window itself, you could stick it on the plastic moulding around the window, that might work a bit better, and fix the velcro residue on the windows.

As far as the damn birds and pine scent, I like it too... Just not at the crack of dawn

-Braden
Old 09-23-2002, 11:03 AM

i dont know if id do something like that if i had a runner. but it looks like you did a nice job. have you acually used them yet? do they keep the light out?
Old 09-23-2002, 12:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 91Runner
...I was also thinking instead of putting the velcro on the window itself, you could stick it on the plastic moulding around the window, that might work a bit better, and fix the velcro residue on the windows.
-Braden
actually, that's what I did with the passenger windows, the velcro is stuck to the plastic.

Originally posted by rowan
have you acually used them yet? do they keep the light out?
Haven't had a chance to use them yet so I don't know how much light they will keep out nor do I know how hot it will get since I chose black.

Man, I think this is the most popular thread i've ever started! heh heh.

Steve