Old 04-25-2003, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ISR mod for a Tacoma?

Hey guys!

Okay...
the engine is the same,
the parts are nearly the same,

but the hoses are in different places and I have two little pipes at the top of my plenum (sp?) that are sealed off.

I've taken off my intake silencer but now do not know where the heck to put any of the hosing!

There's a small nib of hose (to the left of the plenum when you're facing the front of the car) that originally had one of the hoses connected to. It's not mentioned in the "2002" write up and I am now thoroughly confused!

anyone?
Old 04-26-2003, 08:49 AM
Away

Check out this thread. That's what I'd recommend you do.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Z
Old 04-26-2003, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

um....

I'll have to post some pics ASAP.
Unfortunately, no digital camera so I'll have to take some pics today, develop, and scan...

I'll get back to you guys
Old 04-26-2003, 01:40 PM

I've got a digital camera (thanks Dad!), so here are two shots of my 2002 V6 Tacoma. Because the silencer is hanging off the side instead of inline, I wonder if the gains would be that great. Tacoma Dude- does your engine look the same?

Old 04-26-2003, 08:27 PM
Contributing Member

oh yeah!

That's my engine!
Yeah, if you look carefully at the plenum there's two capped pipes on top where the air hose connects to the throttle body (did any of that make sense?)

Some of the hosing is in different places too.

Anybody have any ideas?

As far as gains go... yeah, I was wondering about that. I looked into the Intake Silencer when I had it out and there didn't seem to be too much inside.

I don't have time now (at girlfriend's place) but when I get home I'll download your pics, Jeff B, and point out the connection differences from the write-ups.
Thanks for the pics, I can't tell you how much I appreciate not having to do all the developing, scanning, picture doctoring, etc.
Old 04-27-2003, 03:03 AM
Contributing Member

Okay, the red CIRCLE shows the two capped off ends I was talking about. I don't think these are on the late 3rd gen Runners. The red SQUARE shows that the vacuum hose reworking that ALBPM suggests in hiswrite-up, is already done on the Tacoma engine.

Lastly, you'll notice that I highlighted one of the vacuum tubes. This heads down to yet another pipe/valve coming off the plenum that is completely unmentioned in any write-up I've seen.

Does anyone know at all what I'm talking about???

Dr. Z:
I've ordered a parts sheet and hopefully when I get it I can more accurately describe what the heck each part is supposed to be called - that is if you don't already know?

JeffB:
Thanks for the pic, you're a lifesaver!
Old 04-27-2003, 10:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Tacoma Dude
As far as gains go... yeah, I was wondering about that. I looked into the Intake Silencer when I had it out and there didn't seem to be too much inside.
I can't help you on the vacuum lines, but I can comment on the gains...

What you'll feel is a much improved throttle response, especially on the lower end. With the silencers in there, there's a lot more volume that has to fill up when you jump on it before the pressure builds up to the point that the air mass finally makes it to the engine. So the gain isn't in HP, it's in response.

(note to the physics folks: I think I'm using "pressure" and "mass" wrong here, but that's what came off of my fingers. )
Old 04-27-2003, 11:23 AM

Here are some close ups:

The hose marked with the arrow is only one coming off the IS on my engine. It connects to a hard line that runs between the fold in the intake manifold to gold can (the FPR?) visable in this picture.

I don't think we need to worry about the capped lines... If I inderstand this correctly, the ISR mod is pretty simple for these trucks- Find a plug for the hole left from removing the silencer box and cap the inlet to gold can.

mpulver- your explanation makes perfect sense to me now. Thanks.
Old 04-27-2003, 12:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Jeff B

I don't think we need to worry about the capped lines... If I inderstand this correctly, the ISR mod is pretty simple for these trucks- Find a plug for the hole left from removing the silencer box and cap the inlet to gold can.

Hmmm.
Well, now that I've had a full night's of sleep it all makes sense now. I'll be getting a vacuum cap and trying this out today. I'm pretty sure that brass canister in the back is the FPR too.

Hopefully, I'm not trashing anything
Old 04-27-2003, 12:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Jeff B
The hose marked with the arrow is only one coming off the IS on my engine. It connects to a hard line that runs between the fold in the intake manifold to gold can (the FPR?) visable in this picture.
Yeup, that's the FPR... These pics from my install may help:

The top pic is a "before FPR" shot where the red circle shows the FPR fitting. The bottom shot is the re-routing of the lines, and shows the FPR plugged with a blue cap.

Great! Glad to have helped!

Mark