Intake silencer mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 09:47 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Tomcat, no Honda sound from this.
http://www.pnw4runners.net/exhaust/24.mpg

That is my latest one from my exhaust page.
It also sounds lower when you are in 4low which I was.

That is not a bad price for the Mag.
Roughly $80 I think for the muff, and $45 to install.
Sounds about right.

You might want to drill him more though on the duel setup.
Will it cause more back pressure coming out of one muff?
I'm not up on that, so I don't know.
Corey
Old 11-25-2002, 10:34 AM
Away

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by VF84Tomcat
Oh well. If it's too loud, you're too old!

Ouch! Age is relative, Dr. Z ... and speaking of old relatives, my mother-in-law is coming tomorrow night ...

I was just teasing.

Just in time to pick up my mother-in-law from the airport and hear nothing over the roar coming from both the intake AND the exhaust!

And the mother-in-law bit is funny!

Dr. z
Old 11-25-2002, 01:39 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Would this help noise?

Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
That's interesting Gadget. I would have thought exactly the opposite since the open intake on my old Turbo was much quieter compared to the noise my truck makes. But that's probably comparing apples to oranges. I have heard open intakes on some other trucks and they don't seem as loud either.

Oh well. If it's too loud, you're too old!

Dr. Z
Like I never said it was TO LOUD... I said it was MUCH LOUDER.

I would think a turbo would be quieter as the impeller wheel would dampen the inductive pulse from the intake valves slamming shut against that fast moving column of air causing it to reflect back and boom out the intake.

The lip I left around the edges of my modified air box does a good job of reflecting much of that back the other way so it does not make nearly as much noise as the open cone type filters.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 11-25-2002, 01:50 PM
Away

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Would this help noise?

Originally posted by Gadget
Like I never said it was TO LOUD... I said it was MUCH LOUDER.

www.GadgetOnline.com
Gadget, I wasn't saying you thought it was too loud. That was a jibe at Tomcat.

The turbo noise was certainly a different kind of noise. It wasn't intake pulse, but more of a whine and a whoosh. Since my car also had an intercooler between the air filter element, the inlet side of the turbo and the intake plenum, the chances of me hearing an intake pulse were slim to none. The noise my NA engine makes is a very throaty roar. It seems to me that the airbox adds a "Boxiness" to the sound.

At any rate, I like it. I bet with the SC, you get a completely different intake noise since you have the impellers turning along with them sucking in air.

Dr. Z
Old 11-25-2002, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
Since I met ts1 just yesterday, I can tell you that he had his welded in.

Can't say for certain about which years have which size tubing, but here is a rule of thumb:

96-00 with a SINGLE Catalytic Converter - 2.25" Tubing
99-02 with DUAL Catalytic Converters - 2.5" Tubing

Note the tubing size only refers to the tubing from the Outlet side of the Cat to the Tail-Pipe.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Z
Is that correct about the pipe sizes? Do I need to check underneath my 2002 to see if I have the two cats or is it a given that they will be there? Also, is it safe to bet that I have the 2.5" tubing rather than the 2.25"? From what people had posted before, I thought it was 2.25". I guess I need to get my lazy ass out there and measure myself!

I have been over the exhaust page again and again and just don't know what kind to order. I think I am going to go with the Dynomax. I guess they are all in the same ballpark anyway.
Old 11-25-2002, 06:58 PM
Away

Originally posted by cybrenergy
Is that correct about the pipe sizes? Do I need to check underneath my 2002 to see if I have the two cats or is it a given that they will be there? Also, is it safe to bet that I have the 2.5" tubing rather than the 2.25"? From what people had posted before, I thought it was 2.25". I guess I need to get my lazy ass out there and measure myself!

I have been over the exhaust page again and again and just don't know what kind to order. I think I am going to go with the Dynomax. I guess they are all in the same ballpark anyway.
Hey Cybre,

Starting in 99, some of the 4Runners had 2 Cats. These were destined for CA. Through the 2000 model year, it was still possible to get a single cat truck, which I have. After that they went to dual cats. It's a pretty safe bet that you will have 2 Cats on your '02 truck. Since the Cats exit further back than the single cat trucks, the exhaust pipe is larger since it is shorter. But, just to be safe, measure it.

Dr. Z