Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

i can't steer... please advise

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question i can't steer... please advise

a few times in seattle... i noticed after a wheeling trip, that my steering was difficult and limited. i might be able to steer in one direction, but not the other. after i let it set for a few, it was back to normal...

so... last month my steering radius decreased again to... i can steer from full left, to about 3° right of center. and i had to 4 point any turns... then *bam* a loud sound and the steering wheel jerked real hard and decided to work again.

just last week it did this again, but i could even get the wheel straight. it was left or nothing. so i parked it. very carefully... considering now, i can't even drive straight. now i can turn the wheel only a few inches.

my thoughts ::
i was thinking it might have been the pitman arm hitting the frame but ruled that out with a crow bar. further ruled out because now the pitman arm is no where near the frame and i cannot steer at all.

i was also thinking it might be the pump, but that doesn't really make sense considering i have plenty of power steering in the small radius that the wheel does turn in.

so finally i'm thinking that my steering box is dead.
in light of that. i am then asking if this is what you think... and who should i go through to replace it? factoring in warranty, cost & strength.

thanks...
Old 09-23-2004, 07:35 AM
Nam

My guess would be the gear box...do they still use the gear box insted of rack and pinion on the 2nd gen. If gear box is the case, get a used one from junk yard....I would.

Good luck,

Nam
Old 09-23-2004, 10:43 AM

2nd gen + SAS + 4 wheeling + no steering = broken birfield I bet.
Now get the checkbook out and start subtracting
Good luck!
Old 09-24-2004, 07:48 AM

birfield eh!

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit 451
Good luck!
i had considered this as an option.

how would i find out besides tearing the axle down?
Old 09-24-2004, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by anondrao
i had considered this as an option.

how would i find out besides tearing the axle down?
You often can hear a clicking sound with the hubs locked in 4WD w/ a broken birf. You might also be able to lift the front tires into the air and lock the hubs and turn the wheels and feel/hear the birfs. binding if they are damaged.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could undo the joint on the pitman arm. If the box then turns full lock to lock, it is in the axle.

Can undo each tie rod end to see what side is causing it if the box checks ok

Are you in Seattle now? Longfields are made by Bobby Long down in Grahm, WA if you need a birf.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit 451
Good luck!
I second that opinion. Same thing happened to me a while back.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:43 AM

That happened to me on my first '85... back when I was a newbie, I performed a newbie lift that resulted in the pitman hitting my leafs/u-bolts.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by anondrao
a few times in seattle... i noticed after a wheeling trip, that my steering was difficult and limited. i might be able to steer in one direction, but not the other. after i let it set for a few, it was back to normal...

so... last month my steering radius decreased again to... i can steer from full left, to about 3° right of center. and i had to 4 point any turns...then *bam* a loud sound and the steering wheel jerked real hard and decided to work again.

just last week it did this again, but i could even get the wheel straight. it was left or nothing. so i parked it. very carefully... considering now, i can't even drive straight. now i can turn the wheel only a few inches.
These are the key facts. When a birfield blows, it distorts in shape. As it rotates in the axle (even with hubs/t-case unlocked) it gets to a point where it binds against the axle tube and won't allow turning. Turn the axleshaft a little more and it goes away. You can narrow down which side the problem is on by watching the tie rod while the steering is bound up. If it defects (bends) a little while trying to turn, it indicates the passenger side birfield is thrashed. If not, look to the drivers side. Of course it certainly doesn't hurt to check both since it is always possible you thrashed both.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:08 AM

thanks guys... i'm on it. and no i'm not in seattle. i'm back in ky.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You're probably right about it being a birfield problem.

This just reminds me of a problem I had with my '81 pick-up after I got stuck on a beach in some wet sand and when I got out I could only turn from on center to the right (or left I can't remember which), but what it turned out to be was that the OEM steering stabilizer was packed with sand and when you turned the steering in the direction that shortens it, the sand would compact inside the larger metal sleeve and prevent the stabilizer from going any further. A quick rinse with a hose cleared it out and I was good to go.