Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

fuel gauge TSB

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel gauge TSB

Well, I just picked up my 4Runner from the dealership.

The cliffnotes version. $90 to find out "yes, your truck does fall under this TSB". $425-450 to do this repair not under warranty.

The long version. Since niether the dealership nor the Toyota Extended warranty will tell you over the phone whether a repair is covered, I had to make an appointment and bring in my 4 Runner this morning. Under the conditions of the extended warranty the dealership has to first "verify" the problem and then contact the warranty company to find out what is covered. In this case, verifying meant they compared my VIN number to the list. Worth $90? you decide. The Toyota Certified vehicle extended warranty only covers replacing the actual fuel sending unit (because it is the only faulty part). The suction tube and gasket that get replaced, I have to pay for along with the labor charges. Itemized list:
Sending unit: $72
Suction tube: $15
Gasket: $8
Labor: ??
Total: $425 (estimate)

I'm only posting this for 2 reasons. The first is because someone once asked in another thread how much the repair cost. The second is because the $90 I spent to "verify" the problem could have bought the parts to fix the problem. I am confident I can do this repair myself, especially since I have access to the auto-hobby shop on the AF Base. (With a lift and air tools and all that).

Ok, maybe I'm just bitching cuz I'm pissed off. What is that i keep seeing on the threads.... "Stealership?"
Old 02-25-2003, 01:06 PM
Contributing Member

what a bunch of scum bags at that dealer . call the 1-800 toyota customer service number and complain, you will get it for free.

I did.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:56 PM

Thanks for the info! This really confirms my suspicions after my experience with the Toyota dealer here in Colorado Springs. I took my 99 4runner in with a copy of the TSB and the service writer would not even look at or discuss the TSB. He insisted that I make an appointment and have them look at "the problem" to confirm it. I said no thanks and declined to let them look at it. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2003, 07:00 PM

Basically, the real reason the TSB isn't covered under the Toyota Certified extended thingy is because a TSB falls under the "parts that have not failed but are recommended for replacement by a dealer" clause.

Which if you ask me, says that even Toyota doesn't trust thier own dealers. (slight exageration to make a point)
Old 02-25-2003, 07:44 PM

I also tried to get mine done at a local dealership, and they sang the same song. "We have to verify the problem, then maybe we'll fix it", and they were nothing but ass's about it. Telling me basically I had no idea what I was talking about.:rolleyes: At one point acting like the TSB didn't exist.I still have 8k until my reg. warranty runs out, so I'm going to take it to another steelership and hope for better luck.

Maybe Jay can shed some light on why they don't like to perform the TSB's or cover them even?
Old 02-25-2003, 08:13 PM

I had mine done uder warranty a few weeks ago. I took a copy of the TSB into the dealer. I told them the fuel gauge was doing exactly what the TSB was stating. They had my truck for a day and agreed that it needed the fix. They ordered the parts and a week later they installed under warranty. Now the gauge reads correctly. Anyone in Phoenix should check out Larry Miller Toyota in Peoria if your under warranty. Ask for Rick in the service dept. They didn't give me any s**t.

Paul
Old 02-26-2003, 12:13 AM
Jay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe Jay can shed some light on why they don't like to perform the TSB's or cover them even?
Well, I dont mind a bit. I do notice, alot of people confuse a TSB with a recall.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:31 AM

Originally posted by Jay
Well, I dont mind a bit. I do notice, alot of people confuse a TSB with a recall.
Well, I'm not confused, which is why I wanted to know if the fix recommended by the TSB was covered under the Toyota Extra Care warranty or not, BEFORE I brought in the truck.

Now I know it's not, nor are any Tech Service Bulletin "repairs". Which is fine, but they could have told me that on the phone.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by pfdaxe
I had mine done uder warranty a few weeks ago. I took a copy of the TSB into the dealer. I told them the fuel gauge was doing exactly what the TSB was stating. They had my truck for a day and agreed that it needed the fix. They ordered the parts and a week later they installed under warranty. Now the gauge reads correctly. Anyone in Phoenix should check out Larry Miller Toyota in Peoria if your under warranty. Ask for Rick in the service dept. They didn't give me any s**t.

Paul
Likewise, Tempe Toyota was really cool to me. Jason Briggs was very cool as a service adviser.

It tells you something when you are willing to drive 55 miles to get work done by a dealer.

They are so hit and miss...:mad:
Old 02-26-2003, 05:36 AM

Hey man, Im in the same boat. Warrenty expired and none of the dealers I went to will fix it. I got the 800 number to call but never did. Just got used to the gauge and know that my rig runs about 300 miles to a tank. Its not worth paying to fix. Unless you are filty rich and dont know what to do with 500 bucks.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
gas gauge DIY

Has anyone tried to do a repair themselves, i.e: maybe bending the float bar a bit? What is the problem with the sending unit anyway? Does anyone know? My '98, when completely topped up reads right on the full line but comes off it quickly after a few Km's.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:16 AM

Guys,

My truck is doing the same thing. Could I have a copy of the TSB or let me know where I could get a copy?

I'll see if I could convice them to fix it under my extended W.

Cheers,
Old 07-15-2003, 10:37 AM

Check here:

http://www.phorunner.com/recalls.html