Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Front locker/LSD suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front locker/LSD suggestions

Have been searching for "front lockers" but didn't find much about what people are running in your fronts. And what would you suggest for a mild trail rig. A '98 with e-locker in back. Would a LSD be a lot better than open. Or would you recommend a full locker (other than a $1200 ARB with compressor).

Do you think a LSD would be enough for mild trails, maybe some water crossings... maybe just something a little extra to pull me out of a mud puddle or something... I'll be having my front axle worked on anyway, putting in 4.30's, or maybe another front axle with 4.30's in it...

whats a good brand to get too?
Old 01-04-2006, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

I have been very happy with my aussie in the front of my other truck... But that said it has manual locking hubs... I can lock only one hub and still have streetability in the snow...

I have been looking into what I will choose to do on the runner... I'm not sure if there is an aussie out that yet for there yet... its between manual locking hub swap and aussie ( lockright if I have to ) or to get an arb....

LSDs are OK... they ware out... when you really need them they are slipping...

I would say go all out and lock it... if you never drive on the street ( snow ) with it then the $249, I think it is, for an aussie is WAY better than an ARB price wise.... but the ARB has its mega bonuses too.....
Old 01-04-2006, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

I have had great results with my Detroit Tru-Trac. Unlike most LSD's it doesn't have any clutches or pads to wear out. It uses a series of helical cut gears to equalize torque. In most situations I can't even tell it's working, no ratcheting or engaging clunks, it just pulls the front along be it mud, slickrock or snow. I use 4hi on the streets alot during the winter so I was very concerned about road manners, the steering feels a little different but no harsh drivetrain bind. Because it is gear driven you don't need any friction modifiers in the diff lube. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:59 PM
Contributing Member

It all depends on what you are going to do with the truck too...

the Tru Trac is a great option... I have a friend with one in an 85 PU... it works really well through most things, it does tend to show its weakness at points too.... since hid upgrade from 33s, to 35s.. he feels its now his weak link.... Detroit only rakes this to medium duty...

I would say it is a good option for both on and off road....
Old 01-10-2006, 12:07 PM

Hey John-

I'm interested to hear more about the Tru-Trac.... If you were on rocks with the front tire in the air and back tires slipping... would the True-Trac lock up on the one front wheel touching the ground that has traction? What has been your off road experience??

I really don't like the ARB Locker due to it relying on air pressure to run... plus it's difficult to turn when engaged. I'd love to hear more.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by montypower
Hey John-

I'm interested to hear more about the Tru-Trac.... If you were on rocks with the front tire in the air and back tires slipping... would the True-Trac lock up on the one front wheel touching the ground that has traction? What has been your off road experience??

I really don't like the ARB Locker due to it relying on air pressure to run... plus it's difficult to turn when engaged. I'd love to hear more.
with slight application of the brake, the truetrac will lock up and spin the wheel on the ground.

i used to run one in the front when i had IFS, worked great, kinda like a selectable locker of sorts.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I can tell you from experience with LSD's that they are great for the most part. Yes they wear but it takes a long time for them to wear out. Put it this way, in my 90 Mustang with over 100k miles, the factory limited slip still spins both wheels at the dragstrip with drag radial tires. In my 87 2wd, I have a Precision Gear LSD with 65k miles on it and it still works fine. It is not like you are going to wear these things out like you do brake pads. The limited slip will give you the best streetablitly and traction in what you are looking for and it can work with or without locking hubs.

James
Old 01-11-2006, 04:36 PM

I didn't consider having the auto hubs and running a locker. I don't want everything turning all the time... and I don't want to fork over the $$$ for a hub conversion...

But you say you can run LSD's in front. So you're saying that if I run an LSD in front, I won't have everything turning when in 2wd (axles, diff and driveshaft). If that's the case, then I may just look into this. Could someone clarify this, and if it's only the tru-trac or all LSD's

Last edited by jeremys73; 01-11-2006 at 04:36 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 01-11-2006, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by jeremys73
I didn't consider having the auto hubs and running a locker. I don't want everything turning all the time... and I don't want to fork over the $$$ for a hub conversion...

But you say you can run LSD's in front. So you're saying that if I run an LSD in front, I won't have everything turning when in 2wd (axles, diff and driveshaft). If that's the case, then I may just look into this. Could someone clarify this, and if it's only the tru-trac or all LSD's
If you have auto hubs everything turns in the front no matter what. The LSD will allow the front wheels to turn better since nothing is in a "locked" state, hence the name limited slip. Basically for what you are describing and what you have an LSD would be your best choice.

James
Old 01-11-2006, 05:36 PM

dam pos auto hubs

Cool, thanks for the info... I think an LSD would do the trick for me then.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by SLC97SR5
...It uses a series of helical cut gears to equalize torque. In most situations I can't even tell it's working, no ratcheting or engaging clunks, it just pulls the front along be it mud, slickrock or snow.
The helical gear diffs (torsens) are able to provide a multiple of the torque available to the fast wheel to the slow wheel. I think they're usually in the 5x to 7x range for a "tight" diff. But if you've got a wheel in the air, you're not going to get anything out of it (5x0=0). However, as others have said, with a little bit of brakes, it'll provide torque.

In my ram, I often used the poor-man's locker with my rear LSD (e-brake). kick it on a few clicks, or just drag the brakes with the left foot, and it crawls right through things quite nicely.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I have some TrueTrac info on my web page, including how to do the brake biasing, etc.:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/TrueTrac.shtml
Old 01-17-2006, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
I have some TrueTrac info on my web page, including how to do the brake biasing, etc.:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/TrueTrac.shtml

I think that confirms my decision on what to put in my front diff. Now if I could only find an E-locker for cheap.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
well, this may be kinda dumb, but if you have hubs that turn your stuff all the time, and you put a locker in the front, isn't that going to make it hard to turn all the time...

It was pointed out that an ARB is hard to turn with when it is engaged, which can be remedied by shutting it off. Anything that is a full time locker is going to make it hard to turn unless you can unlock the hubs, no? If so, i don't think you want a locker in the front at all for the street, although an ratchet type locker might work.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Nope. If you have the drive flanges and ADD, then one side of the locker will be disconnected if the ADD is disconnected. Even with an automatic locker or LSD up front, it won't affect turning (much) unless you have torque going into the pinion gear from the front driveshaft. Without torque on the pinion gear, the locker essentially free wheels. You might feel a little drag from the internal parts but not from the locking mechanism. Now if you are talking about running a spool up front and drive flanges or always-locked hubs, yes, steering will be affected.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:53 AM

The TrueTrac is a very good choice. Although it does not perform as well offroad as a locker, they are way better than stock. I have one in the rear of my truck, and in 2wd I can go places my last stock Yota could not in 4wd. The TrueTrac transfers the power to the tire with the most traction. And they are great in the snow.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:44 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ahh ... if only Detroit made the Electrac for Toyotas... (it's a selecable locking TruTrac!)
Old 07-29-2010, 03:22 PM

I'm gonna do a little thread resurrection here...

I'm looking at doing the Detriot Tru-Trac in the front of my IFS 01 Runner with rear e-locker.
I have multi-mode 4WD which allows me the option of "all wheel drive" which I use frequently in the snow.
In 4HI with the center diff unlocked, will the front still feel locked, or will it still have similar to stock road manners?

What about on dry pavement? Is the center differential enough to be able to run 4HI on the pavement?
Old 07-29-2010, 06:00 PM

You will get a little more steering feedback from the Trutrac. It really shines in snow. I love mine. You will be fine in AWD w/o the center locked on pavement.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:02 PM

When I say steering feedback, I mean the truck will want to self center and steering effort is increased slightly.

Quick Reply: Front locker/LSD suggestions