Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Deck Plate Mod Question(Please answer)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deck Plate Mod Question(Please answer)

Okay I'll try to make this question as quick as I can. I would really like to do the deck plate mod this evening after I get home from my 3:00 class, but my AMSoil filter hasn't come in, it was supposed to but the stupid UPS guy just went by a few hours ago w/o stoping and I'm taking that as a hint. My question is that can I just go ahead and do the deck plate mod w/o the AMSoil filter in? This is the only day I have free in the evening(stupdi Home Depot has me working the rest of them) until Fri. and on Fri. my baby will be getting it's lift installed. So is it safe to do this mod w/o the filter or are there any things that would cause problems what so ever??? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-07-2002, 10:20 AM

Yes...you can run the mod without the Amsoil filter. You can use any filter you want. It's just a nice combo having the Amsoil and the mod together. Im sure your ride won't blow up or anything
Old 10-07-2002, 10:34 AM

yeah thats fine. it might even be better, because if you DO leave anything in your airbox, it will get stuck in the old filter, not your new good one. just make sure you really clean it out....

im going to do this mod too asap. let us know how it turns out
Old 10-07-2002, 10:58 AM

Also remember that just because you are doing the mod does not mean that you have to take the cover off and expose the stock filter. You can always do it and keep the plate cover on until you get your new filter if you were worried about the stock filter handling the "stuff" coming in.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

Okay the job is done. I had to pull a later shift to get this thing done. I must say that Rotozip is a God sent treasure. I had to run over to one of my friends house to get my hands on it b/c I lost the bit I needed on my Dremel, but that Rotozip tore through the honeycomb backing like nothing. Everything is in and looks great, I missed one spot on the inside of the deckplate when I painted it and it looks a bit weird but I'll go back later and touch that up. I also got a bit sloppy w/ the silicone but it was very forgiving as well. I'm gona run without the cap for now just to feel whatever change I can. My AMSoil should be coming in tomarrow, maybe I can get home and drop it in after class but before work(I love my tightly sechdualed life:confused: ). But all in all I'm very pleased and looking forward to the drive to class tomarrow to hear/feel whatever I can.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

here's my newbie question of the day....i hear a lot about this amsoil stuff...what is it exactly? and why would i want to get it? if this makes a difference, my toyota is a 2002 4x4 4runner.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

Stump,
Do the deckplate! It plus an exhaust really does make a difference. I grilled Jason B for about two weeks before doing the deckplate and it is definitely worth it.
Calrockx, Amsoil makes a complete line of automotive products (lubricants, filters, additives, etc) and their stuff is very popular on the forums, as well as everywhere else. What they are referring to in this thread is Amsoil's high flow air filter which filters as good or better as a stock filter, but flows a lot more air into the engine. Deckplate + Amsoil Filter=More Power!!
Go to http://www.amsoil.com to see their complete line of products. Later.

Matt
Old 10-07-2002, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

One of my friends dads is an AMSoil dealer and he runs it in everyone of his cars and trucks, oil and trany, and air filters. I'm gettting my AMSoil air filter tomarrow and I'm really looking forward to it. At my next oil change time I will be switching over to AMSoil there as well. Everyone else here seems to at least run their Air Filters. I'm sure others will soon chime in on this.