Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

CODE 62 Help, Which #1 solenoid to pull? Where is it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question CODE 62 Help, Which #1 solenoid to pull? Where is it?

I have 1990 4Runner 4WD Automatic that has a CODE 62 on the O/D light. I've learned from previous posts that the #1 Shift Solenoid is to blame. At the TOyota parts counter, I discovered that there are three #1 solenoids. I have no idea which one or all of them to pull? Does anyone have a diagram or a good description of the location?

Symptoms: Slipping auto trans at a dead stop. It happens intermittently and the O/D light flashes.

Thanks for the replies!

Frank
Old 09-29-2004, 05:16 PM

Pm me your e-mail and I'll send you a diagram that'll show you the right one. They are located in the trans pan. You have to drain it and pull the filter off. May as well clean the filter at the same time. Then you'll see the solenoids. The diagram will show all.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:23 PM

code 62

Originally Posted by Babypig
Pm me your e-mail and I'll send you a diagram that'll show you the right one. They are located in the trans pan. You have to drain it and pull the filter off. May as well clean the filter at the same time. Then you'll see the solenoids. The diagram will show all.

Sent you a Pm. Thanks
frank
Old 10-01-2004, 05:13 PM

bump

bump , anybody with advise with the CODE 62 problem? Which solenoid to pull and how many?
Thanks
Old 10-01-2004, 06:17 PM

That's the number 1 shift solenoid. they run like $120 at the dealer. No other places to get one. Glad my tranny has been remanny'd that was what started my prob but you may be able to get by with just switching out the solenoid.

Here's a good paper from transtec on the tranny and solenoids:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...251#post349251

Last edited by ctcost; 10-01-2004 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:29 PM

Had the same problem with my 4Runner transmission. I stumbled across the Transtec website a year ago and read the article. Go to http://www.transtec.com/distributors.htm and find a distributor in your area. I purchased all 3 transmission solenoids from Transtar in Dallas for $71. They also sell gaskets and filters. It's definitely cheaper not to buy them from the dealer.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:29 PM

Sweet find 89!!! ...Lucky I got mine free thanks to the info on this forum and transtec!
Old 10-01-2004, 08:31 PM

Excellent info...

Originally Posted by ctcost
Sweet find 89!!! ...Lucky I got mine free thanks to the info on this forum and transtec!

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, I already special ordered the #1 solenoid from the dealer at $139.00. If the others go out, I'll be getting them from Transtec.
From all the information I've received, this job should take no time at all. I'll post the results when it is done.....
Frank
Old 10-01-2004, 10:10 PM

Wheew at least you got one in hand. those things are a pain when they go out. Make sure to clear the computer after installation...Pull the EFI fuse for 30 seconds to reset.

Last edited by ctcost; 10-01-2004 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:31 PM

pan is off, now what?

Originally Posted by ctcost
Wheew at least you got one in hand. those things are a pain when they go out. Make sure to clear the computer after installation...Pull the EFI fuse for 30 seconds to reset.
I pulled the transmission pan today and matched the #1 solenoid part with the second one from the front(as per the diagram). The plastic looks totally different on the rear of the solenoid. The Lock-up solenoid looks like the part I bought from Toyota, but the part number are the same. My guess is that it doesn't matter what the solenoid goes in the slot. Am I wrong?

Any suggestions on replacing the transmission pan gasket or use the FIPK sealant the parts guy sold me? The FIPK sealant looks messy and could be a big clean-up if I have to go back in later.

I found some small metal shavings in the filter screen and some brown material as well. It looks like muddy hairs...

Any last minute tips are welcome. I want to replace the right solenoid the first time....
thx.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:41 PM

Ouch dreaded double post. Can a mod remove this one permenantly please?

Last edited by ctcost; 10-04-2004 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:42 PM

hmmm got me Frank...I didn't go into mine except with the article above/ Let my mech do the work. That article above has a few pics and tips in it but nothing concrete.

I do know that that filter should be cleaned if it steel.

As to the solenoid if it's the same part number, might as well put it where it came out of.

I do know that you need to make sure the area where the gasket goes should be totally clean before mounting it. That sealant should dry hard I qould presume which would mean scraping it again. Seems to be par for the course. Wish I could be of more help.

Oh one more thing...make sure to clear the computer before you start it up again. Otherwise it will still blink if you didn't disconnect the battery beforehand.

Originally Posted by surferfrank
I pulled the transmission pan today and matched the #1 solenoid part with the second one from the front(as per the diagram). The plastic looks totally different on the rear of the solenoid. The Lock-up solenoid looks like the part I bought from Toyota, but the part number are the same. My guess is that it doesn't matter what the solenoid goes in the slot. Am I wrong?

Any suggestions on replacing the transmission pan gasket or use the FIPK sealant the parts guy sold me? The FIPK sealant looks messy and could be a big clean-up if I have to go back in later.

I found some small metal shavings in the filter screen and some brown material as well. It looks like muddy hairs...

Any last minute tips are welcome. I want to replace the right solenoid the first time....
thx.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by surferfrank

thx.
Make sure the solenoids fit at the o-ring end and bolt in properly. Other than that, I don't think it matters if they look slightly different. The solenoid kit I got from Transtar had generic solenoids with separate brackets depending on the bolt positions.

I used a paper type of gasket. I don't care for the tube gasket since it is a pain to clean off if you drop the pan again. Plus, the paper gasket is fairly cheap for like $5. Of course, use whatever you must based on availability and time.

I found a lot of metal in the bottom of my trans pan. I had never dropped it and only pulled the plug for fluid changes. I would clean everything well before re-assembly. You might worry a bit about any fibers because they may be clutch material, but I'm not an expert. Might as well put it all back together and see if it shifts right before worrying about other (bigger) problems.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:26 PM

I'm giving it a shot tommorow...

I'm going to put in the solenoid tommorow. I'll post the results. I think the paper gasket is a better idea in case I have to pull the pan again. It looks like the #1 solenoid is the second from the front. Thanks again for all the help. This forum has been a great deal of assistance. I've saved money and headaches for sure.

Frank
Old 10-05-2004, 01:47 PM

Talking Good News!!

I replaced the 2nd solenoid from the front. The first one is the Lock-up solenoid as shown in the diagrams. The removal and install was easy. Just cleaned up the pan, changed the filter, and put everything back on. I removed the EFI and the battery cable to reset the codes. The O/D and the check engine lights blink consistantly with no breaks. Looks like the CODE 62 problem has been fixed.
Thank you to all who helped with my shift solenoid dilemma. Thanks to Yotatech for this great forum. My 1990 4 Runner is very happy. I couldn't have done this myself without everyone's help and encouragement.

cheers!!

Frank
Old 10-05-2004, 02:59 PM

Sweet news Frank...Enjoy!
Old 10-05-2004, 07:51 PM

Glad to hear it went well. Cheers

Steve
Old 02-05-2013, 04:33 PM

1990 4runner

I need help my 1990 4runner tranny solenoids i dont know which is solenoid 2? Code 62
Old 04-05-2015, 12:03 AM

changing the #1 solenoid

Hey saw your posting about this and I am now having this same problem. If you still have that diagram of the solenoid layout it would be a big help. Thanks for your time.

Shawn
joserollah@gmail.com