Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

97 4Runner Ltd Suspension Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 97 4Runner Ltd Suspension Help needed

Last time I lifted and modified a vehicle, it was a 2004 land rover disco II. It had solid axles and was easy to self install an OME spring/shock kit that gave a few inches of lift and excellent off road capability with improved ride. It didn't worked fine with steel bumpers and still allowed towing. That was back in 2004.

Fast forward to today and I've just picked up a 97 4runner limited 4x4 with 187k miles on it as a project vehicle. It needs lots of things done to it starting with new carpet, seat covers, wood dash kit pieces, console lid and transfer case knob replaced, but that stuff is easy.

When buying it, I paid what I think was a fair price at $2500 as it ran really good, the 4x4 works perfectly and it has the factory E-locker. Took it into the dealer and had them go through with a fine tooth comb and they flushed and replaced all fluids and cracked the upper engine open to replace leaking seals. it looked great inside and the prior owner gave service records showing religious service was performed.

So, inside covered now I'm looking to the outside. I would like to add something like savage offroad front/rear bumpers and sliders. I want to add an inch or two of lift so that I have option to go up to 32" tires, but I'm thinking something in the 31" to 32" range would be my max.

I really don't want to have to re-gear and I need to be able to carry gear and occasionally tow a small 17' center console boat. This rig will spend more time on pavement than off roading but I want it to have capability when we want to play. We live in Florida and spend time on east coast, so no major rock climbing like out west.

How do I choose a suspension system that will improve the ride, give an inch or two of height to get my desired tire size in there, and still carry the weight of a trailer and the bumpers I want to add over the next 6 months? I really need to keep the budget side in mind too, so no $3k desert prerunner type systems unfortunately.

Right now I'm looking at these 3: Toytec Ultimate, Toytec OME and Sonoran Steel 1.2 system. I really am not sure what makes most sense. I'm probably 30 days away from making a decision here, so I may call each store but I already figure each is going to say theirs are best. I've been reading on this forum and this topic till my head spins so I've used the search feature already.

Thanks for any insight and sorry for the long first post. Wanted to set the stage to help answer my question.

Edit:

I know it didn't happen without pictures, so here are some to get my thread going and show my starting point.

Last edited by txbonds; 05-22-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:09 PM

Congrats on your new ride. Nice looking valvetrain - really clean! Looks like oil changes were done regularly. I don't know specifically about your options, but I was shopping for a lift kit a month ago. I called Toytec with a bunch of questions but wasn't happy with their answers. They are highly regarded but maybe they were busy or something. I ended up getting an OME kit from Johnny at Wheelersoffroad.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First let me get this disclosure out of the way... I personally know and wheel with the owner of Sonoran Steel so it would stand to reason I'm a bit biased. That said, I think you get a more complete kit with SS. Lifting will change the geometry of the trucks suspension and SS includes all the "fixes" for those changes. Toytec mentions maybe needing longer bumpstops. SS provides them. Toytec doesn't mention the need to make adjustments to the panhard bar. SS includes a modified bar that is the best way to remedy the situation. I like the fact that the SS system uses Toyota springs on all four corners as well as Toyota OEM shocks in the rear. That way replacement parts are only as far away as your nearest Toyota dealer should you need one on a road trip. I think for the extra couple hundred bucks it is well worth it. SS also has an airbag system specifically for their lift if you should decide you need it later down the road (for towing) but really, with the LC coils, I doubt you will need it.

Ironically I have nearly the exact truck you do. I will be putting a SS 1.2 on it soon and also plan to stay at 32 inch tires. Just some baselining and maintenance items to take care of first. Good luck with your nice Runner!
Old 05-27-2013, 01:51 AM

Thanks guys. I ended up calling SS last week and had pretty much decided on their 1.2 kit but wanted see what feedback my thread elicited as well.

So far I've rounded up a new rear seat from a 99 runner, a new antenna mast from eBay, a new center console with cup holders and new lid, new carpet from online vendor, a replacement dash cup holder and ac vent from toyota and a replacement wood kit from Burtman. Only need to track down a good clock and some better fron seats and my interior will be in terrific shape but ill hold out until I find those at good deals like the other items I've found so far.