Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

84-87 horn & dome light problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
84-87 horn & dome light problems

I have/have had several of the 84-87 2wd and 4wd pickups and it seems like almost every one of them has had intermittent or non-working horns and the dome light (particular when drivers door is open) didn't work. I haven't tried to fix any of mine lately but it seems like when I have tried to fix these things by checking the obvious stuff like fuses/bulbs/switches I never could figure them out. Anybody have any experience on what causes these problems?

Old 05-29-2004, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the case of the horn, in all likelyhood, the wiper isn't contacting the contact ring inside the steering wheel. This is usually the case after the truck is ten years old or so. There are two possible solutions to this:
1. remove the steering wheel and shim up the contact ring mounted to the back of it with a few small washers (one washer per attachment point (3)). Cheap and easy but only works once. After that you must:
2. Remove the steering wheel and replace the contact (Toyota p/n: 84312-20011 for my '84 & '85) in the steering column. A little more expensive but still easy.

The dome light still has me baffled as well. Mine are driving me crazy

Last edited by toy283; 05-29-2004 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by toy283
In the case of the horn, in all likelyhood, the wiper isn't contacting the contact ring inside the steering wheel. This is usually the case after the truck is ten years old or so. There are two possible solutions to this:
1. remove the steering wheel and shim up the contact ring mounted to the back of it with a few small washers (one washer per attachment point (3)). Cheap and easy but only works once. After that you must:
2. Remove the steering wheel and replace the contact (Toyota p/n: 84312-20011 for my '84 & '85) in the steering column. A little more expensive but still easy.

The dome light still has me baffled as well. Mine are driving me crazy
I will try the shim trick on the horn, that's a good idea, thanks. I thought it must be somewhere from the steering column up, I had pretty well checked everything else.

Maybe somebody else will step up with a dome light fix.

Old 05-29-2004, 03:42 PM

Does your ears ring when the door is open?

Originally Posted by barkeywayne
I have/have had several of the 84-87 2wd and 4wd pickups and it seems like almost every one of them has had intermittent or non-working horns and the dome light (particular when drivers door is open) didn't work. I haven't tried to fix any of mine lately but it seems like when I have tried to fix these things by checking the obvious stuff like fuses/bulbs/switches I never could figure them out. Anybody have any experience on what causes these problems?

Does your door buzzer work? If not then somebody has removed the buzzer relay pack. That works in conjuction with the dome lite. I removed the buzzer and then a couple of days later I noticed my dome lite did not work when the drivers door was open. The door buzzer is located under the dash up around the steering coulm. It also could be that it has gone bad. You can jumper the termial connection to do away with the buzzer. I will have to look at mine to remember what two termials to do. Let me know if this is the case with yours.

Greg
Old 05-29-2004, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

Unhappy

So Im not alone!! Horn doesnt work, I took it apart last year and found out that the contacts werent touching...but, never got to it and I rarely need to use it.
About the light... mine worked fine till I went through some deep mud/water early this year, it would work once a while but then if I wash the truck or it rains it doesnt work again... I believe its the door switch, but I took them apart and cleaned them real good, still doesnt work
Old 05-29-2004, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tallboy
Does your door buzzer work? If not then somebody has removed the buzzer relay pack. That works in conjuction with the dome lite. I removed the buzzer and then a couple of days later I noticed my dome lite did not work when the drivers door was open. The door buzzer is located under the dash up around the steering coulm. It also could be that it has gone bad. You can jumper the termial connection to do away with the buzzer. I will have to look at mine to remember what two termials to do. Let me know if this is the case with yours.

Greg
Hey tallboy, do you have any pics of where the buzzer is, I had my truck for awhile now, never had a buzzer(even when the light was working).

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2004, 04:13 PM

What about if your horn sounds REALLY low but works?
Old 05-29-2004, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by tallboy

Greg
I will definitely check that out, I don't think the door buzzer works on any of my 84-87s. I bought all of them with well over 100K, wouldn't be surprised if someone had unhooked the buzzer on all of them. I'm guessing there is 2 wires to the buzzer and you can just hook them together? If you get a chance give yours a look and let me know sometime, thanks!
Old 05-29-2004, 05:41 PM

How I got rid of the buzzer.

Originally Posted by barkeywayne
I will definitely check that out, I don't think the door buzzer works on any of my 84-87s. I bought all of them with well over 100K, wouldn't be surprised if someone had unhooked the buzzer on all of them. I'm guessing there is 2 wires to the buzzer and you can just hook them together? If you get a chance give yours a look and let me know sometime, thanks!

I used a 3" wire with two male spade connectors and jumped that curcit in the OEM plug. At least that way there is no hacking of the factory harness.I hate the buzzer, it drives me crazy. When you find the plug with the square end pointing down to the floor it should be the two on the top left of the factory plug. The square end is the oposite of the lock tab on the factory plug. At least that worked on my '87.

Greg

Last edited by tallboy; 05-29-2004 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-29-2004, 05:56 PM

Nope

Originally Posted by cabbage
Hey tallboy, do you have any pics of where the buzzer is, I had my truck for awhile now, never had a buzzer(even when the light was working).

Thanks!

Sorry no pictures I don't have a digital camera as of now. But I can tell you that the buzzer is on the right of the steering colum above the gas and brake pedels just left of the parking brake handle. I also posted what I jumped on the OEM plug after the buzzer was removed to correct the drives door dome light problem.

Greg
Old 04-11-2011, 06:11 PM

Can verify that this works on my 87 as well. The buzzer was almost as annoying as a liberal at a TEA party meeting! bypassed it and light works as it should. my issue is that I HATE the stock dome light/mirror combo (plus my lens is gone) and want to replace it with something...... any thoughts????