Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3vze headgasket - beaten to death, i know...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 3vze headgasket - beaten to death, i know...

my truck is going in for the recall tomorrow @ 9am.. and i've read alot about the head bolts and that they shouldn't be re-used, cause they stretch and can't be re-torqued. I called my dealer about 20 min ago and got the price on new bolts, they said $10/each.. so, $160... for bolts...

quoting the guy on the phone 'we've done lots of them and never had any problems, whoever you got this from is just being really picky', then he also talked to a tech there who said 'when we put it back together if we can't get the right torque we replace them, but i've never had one that i couldn't get the right torque on.'

now after reading both your guys opinions and hearing the words from the people going to do it, i really can't afford $160 if its unnecessary...any quick responses on this would be GREATLY appreciated as I need to order the bolts before 12 noon tomorrow if I want them getting in my truck...

thanx
Old 02-15-2005, 06:14 AM

They replaced mine free at the dealer here. One thing to look out for though is the customary call telling you in the middle of the work that this and that could use replacement as well...They tried to tack on $2500 in "other things" belts and hoses etc and i tiold them i didn't want them doene...now, a year later, those things are still wearing fine. lol

Also, there is an air conditiong valve bulletin that can be taken care of at the same time. If you search my earlier posts there is a link to the bulletin. Good luck Green91!
Old 02-15-2005, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

You might want to go ahead and have your timing belt and water pump done.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:10 PM

hmm, love the 'complimentary call'.. thats wierd about the a/c valve bulletin, my stealership didn't mention anything about it. I'm going to call first thing tomorrow morning and inquire while they're still working on it. Maybe that will cover the cost of my a/c belt?

lol, its funny that you mention this Agrunner... I had a chirping noise under my hood at idle.. i suspected the water pump, when i brought it in this morning, i mentioned it to them, and asked if they could just take a look around to see if anything else is damaged. an hour later, they called me saying the timing belt was cracked, the a/c belt was shot and the waterpump was indeed shot and looks like it had been leaking for some time... although they are quoting me $370 (CAD) for parts and all labour for the items 'not listed in the recall program'... i actually have a similar discussion going in another thread on here, where they are telling me that these 'extras' should be free?

Last edited by green91runner; 02-15-2005 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:57 PM

Yeah sheesh what a scam on the call but the recall was a great dea as i bought my truck for a buck off my dad! LOL

If i remember correctly it was the AC expansion valve on the bulletin but i have no idea whether or not that campaign is still on. Hehehe on the a/c belt...I think the expansion valve will cover it!

Good idea on the timing belt and water pump..If mine had not been a brand new engine when i had the head gasket done I would have done it too. Those parts were not mentioned as being free by my dealer...my understanding was they would tear down the eintire motor and rebuild if necessary but only the motor was covered.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:27 AM

boo! lol, called the dealer, says that this 'a/c expasnion valve' campaign may me expired, since it didn't pop up when they did a check on my VIN. ohwell, also said my truck should be done in a couple hours
Old 02-16-2005, 09:48 AM

SWEEEEET!
Old 02-16-2005, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

It's a good idea to get the belts and pullys done. Costs about $300-$500 (CAD) but well worth it to know you don't have to get back into it for another couple years. I paid an extra hour labour to get mine all replaced. Thought it was money well spent, too. I nearly fainted when I saw the service receipt....49 (!!!!) hours of labour. They had to do it three times before they replaced the whole thing. And that was only after I laughed at the SM's suggestion that "They're going to try running some block sealer through it" My reply..."UM, no thanks, I'll just take the new long block".
Old 02-16-2005, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Blair
It's a good idea to get the belts and pullys done. Costs about $300-$500 (CAD) but well worth it to know you don't have to get back into it for another couple years. I paid an extra hour labour to get mine all replaced. Thought it was money well spent, too. I nearly fainted when I saw the service receipt....49 (!!!!) hours of labour. They had to do it three times before they replaced the whole thing. And that was only after I laughed at the SM's suggestion that "They're going to try running some block sealer through it" My reply..."UM, no thanks, I'll just take the new long block".
Where do you get yours serviced?
Old 02-16-2005, 05:00 PM

lol, nice deal there with the new block... seen the warranty sheet that they were submitting to toyota, only had 8 hours on it, and total after all said and done was $387+tax.. replaced the powersteering belt as well (previous owner put on one that was too short). of that $387, only $137 is labour, 1.5hours Engine is so quiet now my spedo cable drives me nuts. One thing I found kind of wierd is they didn't do an oil change? this typical?

on a side note.. the 'master tech', that did the work said my rings, valves and cylinder walls were all good, and that the engine should last a long time.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:23 PM

Yeah sweet. Weird though mine came to like $4300 on the sheet. They must have done an oil change because they gave me a new pan too

One thing that definitely should be on the sheet is a new knock sensor.

Last edited by ctcost; 02-16-2005 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:31 PM

don't think I got the knock sensor was that part of the campaign? i've looked online trying to find a specific breakdown of all the parts that need to be changed in the campagn and can't find anything. i read on the sheet it says 'any related parts will be covered without required confirmation from toyota', so maybe they checked it, was ok and didn't change it? yea it was $370 for my 'extras', the bill submitted to toyota was $900, so.. $1270 total.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:50 AM

My "guess" is they did. Every time the plenum is pulled you need to replace the knock sensor because the coaxial cable is really sensitive to breakage. If your engine light goes on and you start experiencing a lack of power at the same time you'll know they didn't (not that i would keep that too much in the back of my mind. I drove mine 480 miles with a bad one as the guy who rebuilt the engine the first time did not replace it. )
Old 02-17-2005, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ctcost
My "guess" is they did. Every time the plenum is pulled you need to replace the knock sensor because the coaxial cable is really sensitive to breakage. If your engine light goes on and you start experiencing a lack of power at the same time you'll know they didn't (not that i would keep that too much in the back of my mind. I drove mine 480 miles with a bad one as the guy who rebuilt the engine the first time did not replace it. )
Knock sensor, wire loom and 02 sensor (provided that these items are OEM) are also covered IE: They were damaged due to the condition addressed by the campaign...the coolant fouled the 02 sensor, disturbing the wire loom when removing the plenum breaks the wire, etc...

The problem is, they DON'T tell you this stuff. You pretty much have to know, before you go. And be prepared to hang tough, until you get what the campaign really covers. Because you can BET that the Dealer is going to be submitting for warranty from Head Office.

Yota4runner: I had my last one done at Russelle Toyota in PPatch, but only because they were handy. Some of their tech skills are suspect: Block sealer for a warranty repair?!?!?!) Next time (different 3.0) I'm getting it done at the same place as green91runner - Pickering Toyota. It's close to my work and I've got parts there before with really good service.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:52 PM

Next time (different 3.0) I'm getting it done at the same place as green91runner - Pickering Toyota. It's close to my work and I've got parts there before with really good service.
i didnt get mine done at pickering toyota?? lol, wayne toyota in thunder bay was where i went, pretty good customer service, service rep was kind of a dick on the phone though, guess he was busy.

as for the o2 sensor, loom, etc... can I still go back on them about that stuff? or is it now too late? i mean, if i can't it's no big deal, truck is running great... quieter then my buddy's 03 buick rendezvous
Old 02-17-2005, 05:00 PM

Knock sensor, wire loom and 02 sensor (provided that these items are OEM) are also covered IE: They were damaged due to the condition addressed by the campaign...the coolant fouled the 02 sensor, disturbing the wire loom when removing the plenum breaks the wire, etc...

The problem is, they DON'T tell you this stuff. You pretty much have to know, before you go. And be prepared to hang tough, until you get what the campaign really covers. Because you can BET that the Dealer is going to be submitting for warranty from Head Office.

Yota4runner: I had my last one done at Russelle Toyota in PPatch, but only because they were handy. Some of their tech skills are suspect: Block sealer for a warranty repair?!?!?!) Next time (different 3.0) I'm getting it done at the same place as green91runner - Pickering Toyota. It's close to my work and I've got parts there before with really good service.
I get my stuff done normally (at least when I can't do it myself) at Kawartha Imports on Lansdowne. Good guy knows his stuff. Again thats only if I can't do it myself. I'm getting kind bored with all this snow though, I want to get some fun in but between work and yucky weather its been tricky. Have ot hide my keys from the old man or I might be driving his Black P/U to work.