YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Thumbs down 2001 4Runner dying computer?

I took my 4Runner over to my mechanic today because it has been randomly giving me problems with acceleration. When I push the pedal down from a stop light or turning sometimes it just sits there for 5-10 seconds before actually accelerating. The techs could not reproduce the issue (because it's so random) and told me it's most likely a dying computer, which would cost me $2,300 to have a new one installed. No CEL.

Has anyone here had this issue before? If so, are there other things to try before replacing the computer?

Thanks in advance,
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
totally a bro
Personal Sales Rating: (2)
Staff

Send a message via AIM to vital22re
There's so much else that could cause hesitation. When was the last tune up? Is the throttle by wire system working properly ( I think 2001 and newer had it) You'd need to hook up a scanner or something like an ultra gauge to watch the throttle position, engine load, a/f read out, so much else
92 toyota truck sc'd 3.4, URD 7th injector kit, 2.1 URD pulley, 5spd, 4.30 gears, E locker rear, magna flow cat and muffler, 2 1/2 pipe, isr mod, 1" BL, trail gear sliders, 1.5 bjs front, sway away torsion bars, add a leafs and 2inch lift shackles rear, rancho 5000 265/75/r16 nitto terra grapplers, xrc8 winch in front bumper, rhino lined bed.
RB4R- SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 TOY View Post
you're gonna have so much money, you're gonna have to set it on fire to make room for more
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBluePile View Post
I NEVER have problems getting my crank off....
.....not sure why so many people have problems.
Forum Rules
TREADLIGHTLY
Possibly end your existance for a dollar?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

i have a 2003 tacoma do that a couple of months ago. it was throttle by wire. the throttle body was bad. i highly douby your computer is bad and 2300 dollars is a rip off for a computer. i just bought a used computer for my 2000 tacoma for $100. they need to get it in condition with the scan tool hooked up and monitor the throttle position sensor when it happens even if they need to keep it for a day or two.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

After a few months of dicking around with everything from vacuum hoses to wiring harness connections the issue was too simple:

Clean the butterfly valve. Yeah... mine was a little dirty:
Click the image to open in full size.

No more issues!

Last edited by roadrich; 09-12-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
totally a bro
Personal Sales Rating: (2)
Staff

Send a message via AIM to vital22re
HOLY BUILD UP BATMAN! well, that would do it.
92 toyota truck sc'd 3.4, URD 7th injector kit, 2.1 URD pulley, 5spd, 4.30 gears, E locker rear, magna flow cat and muffler, 2 1/2 pipe, isr mod, 1" BL, trail gear sliders, 1.5 bjs front, sway away torsion bars, add a leafs and 2inch lift shackles rear, rancho 5000 265/75/r16 nitto terra grapplers, xrc8 winch in front bumper, rhino lined bed.
RB4R- SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 TOY View Post
you're gonna have so much money, you're gonna have to set it on fire to make room for more
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBluePile View Post
I NEVER have problems getting my crank off....
.....not sure why so many people have problems.
Forum Rules
TREADLIGHTLY
Possibly end your existance for a dollar?
Old 09-14-2013, 12:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Contributing Member

The ECM is covered under the toyotas customer support program. It went into effect 8\7\13 and ends 8\7\16. I had my throttle body replaced at no charge. Read my post about my p1126 cel. It covers the throttle body, ECM, TPS, and 2 other things I cant remember. Unlimited milage.
"
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
Ronald Reagan
40th president of US (1911 - 2004)
Old 09-14-2013, 03:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

things like this, its almost always something simple. glad to hear those a-holes didnt get their 2300$ for a ˟˟˟˟ty diagnosis. what a bunch of stupid pricks jumping to the worst case scenario like that.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:33 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2001, 4runner, computer