Other Makes Cars/Trucks Own a different car or truck other than a Toyota?

Mazda pickup rear window

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mazda pickup rear window

My woman got herself a Mazda B3000, its a 2006 model, and she obiously got this before I met her, otherwise it would be a yota....
It's a pickup, 2wd, and needs to get sold.

Problem is it's got a leak in the rear window, passenger side, and the sliding window has been broken for some time. I'm not sure if the two are related.
However, to fix the rear window, I understand I need to take the entire rear window out, just to stick the middle sliding window in... Pretty silly design, really..

Any of you guys know any tricks for daling with these windows, I know they are the same on Ford Rangers, and the same system is on most pickups.

Any help would be appreciated, I'd rather be wheeling the 4Runner than hanging out in the tray of the Mazda..... I've been perusing some Mazda and Ford forums, but they don't have anything sensible to contribute with, it seems.

cheers
Old 03-07-2010, 09:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A solid glass replacement window is likely the easiest and cheapest way to go.

The sliding middle piece is a thief magnet unless you have a topper installed.Even then around here the topper is broken into to get to the cab for a crackhead to take a stupid factory stereo.

I can't imagine it would be more than about $200 to have old back window professionally removed and a new one installed. You likely need replacement gasket all the way around. Or if you are feeling cocky find one at a junkyard and do it yourself.

I have seen the "pop a new one into place with a soaped up gasket" trick before and once you have seen it done (hint hint strong string used) you will be an expert. Takes 3 people to do it right the first time.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:14 AM

Hey, cheers for the reply!
I had to get stuck into this, in order to get it sold.
The Stealership wanted 613 buks for the new replacement window........
So I went to the wreckers, and found a 5th generation mazda, peeled the intrerior off, undid the nuts, and simply pushed the window out! If you start on a corner, the whole thing just pops right out! The gasket-rope trick did not apply for this window, but I found the 1/4 inch rope trick elsewhere also.

The window on my truck came out same way, it had a crap-load of silicone on it, wich took the best part of the day getting rid of.
My "new" replacement window dropped in with some window sealer foam strip and a bunch of silicone.
Looks good as new, just remains to be seen if it is weather-proof. Still have not been raining since the job, but I can wait!

It's been a nice few days here in BC, and going locking the hubs on the 4Runner is a lot more fun than crawling around a Mazda with silicone everywhere!
Old 03-07-2010, 10:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sweet! good chatting with you sir.

I notice this whole off topic arena is kind of hidden from the main homepage. So it's rare that I even stumbled into here.

Glad to hear you got it done and cheaply. You learned something along the way and no bloody fingertips reported...

Wow just noticed your 2 door Runner in your avatar picture. That is a beauty sir and I can see why you exhibit the pride of ownership in everything you do.

Let's get your wife in a Yota and life will be all Tim Horton's eh?

I shall call upon you when I plan to get up that way. I envision a long road trip to your fine country one day. First I have to land a job and pay the bills.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
The new 2005+ Tacomas aren't so easy. Not only is the glass screwed in, its hard glued with urethane and recessed into the channel. It is almost impossible to remove the glass without totally destroying the rubber seal itself. The new tundras are like that as well. Pretty stupid design if you ask me.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:30 PM

Yeah, saved a whole bunh of money, and it looks good as new. Is also waterproof,(never to far between the rainy days here..) and came to a total of 125, inluding everything, so I'm pretty stoked.

Thanks for the compliments Ron, please get in touch if you get up this way, I have been thinking of a cross americas trip, but it'll have to be next winter.. got a lot of mates to catch up with, a few in Denver, actually!

The woman wanted originally a wagon, for the roofs sake, now she wants a pickup for the tray... She's transporting flowers OR trees in her work, and they are not entirely compatible. Cut flowers dont go well in the back of a truck,and most trees dont fit to well inside the 2 door runner..
And as you say Deathcougar, on the newer truks, things get harder to fix yourself. Thats why I wanted to get a 1st gen 4Runner with 22RE in it for her, so I have two of the same nice motor to deal with, and we get to choose what vehicle to take wheeling, camping or whatever.