Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Does anyone have Toyo Open Country M/T's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 09:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Does anyone have Toyo Open Country M/T's?

I am trying to decide on new tires and have narrowed it down to 285/75R16 Toyo Open Country M/T's or BFG M/T KM's. I've heard good reviews on the Toyos--in Peterson's 4wheel & Off Road in particular. They say they are a really quiet mud tire. But then again, the BFG's are tried and true tested over many more years...and the BFG A/T's I have are amazing---can you say over 100k and still have tread?
Old 03-28-2005, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

And this is what they are going on ---damn those wheels are SAHWEET!! (GOD I WISH I KNEW HOW TO POST A @#$% PHOTO)

Last edited by Yobroe; 03-28-2005 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:33 AM

Bfg Muds

I've got 32x11.5 BFG Mud KMs on my 94 4runner. I am on my second set, first set (old style) I got 45k miles, the new style is even better, especially with the sidewall lugs. They work great in the dirt/mud/rocks here in AZ. I use them frequently off road too, never had any problems. On road they ride good for a MUD tire and noise isnt bad, just take care of them (balance and rotate) I have no experience with the Toyo MT's.

Brian
Old 03-28-2005, 12:49 PM

Toyo MT in 285/75/16 are still on back order and not available in US at least for few more weeks. But you can get them from Canada. I've been waiting on them for past 5 month, currently have Goodyear MT/R which is a great tire. I just want to try something else.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:11 PM
Contributing Member

The tire store a mile from my house has 4 of them in stock...I went into the back room and looked at them. It was at a Les Schwab dealer--maybe they get tires imported before other people

But, you've decided on getting the Toyo's huh? Why Toyo other than you wanna try something else?
Old 03-28-2005, 01:19 PM

I have no experience with the Toyo M/T's, but I do have the Toyo A/T's, and I consider them the best truck tire I've owned to date, FWIW.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:58 PM

I too have been waiting for the Toyo 285's but have been told they arn't available yet - was told middle of march - then was told midle of may. blah blah. Now I'm leaning towards these - the Cooper tire Discoverer STT

John
Old 03-28-2005, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

Those look alot like the Toyo M/T's. Except those Coopers have more sidewall tread. Toyo website

The dealership selling the Toyos said they have a 10 ply sidewall construction too. Sounds pretty beefy.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

SInce your all talking about different brands of M/T's. Between bfg's m/t, toyo m/t, pro comp Xterrains, micky thompson baja claws, goodyear m/t r's and the like. WHich tires has the most treadlife? Cause I need aggressive for off roading, but practicle for street, since my runner is also my daily driver? So any advice would be great... thanks
Old 03-28-2005, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

take a look at my post re: firestone destination m/t tires. ive been doing quite a bit of research and they look to be the best bet of the bunch. pricing is pretty close and as with anything else, shop around. ive had quotes from 215$ to 180$ cdn/tire, ask for a package deal including steel wheels, pricing does come down a bit more that way. hope this helps.

lee
Old 03-28-2005, 08:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by YeloSub7
SInce your all talking about different brands of M/T's. Between bfg's m/t, toyo m/t, pro comp Xterrains, micky thompson baja claws, goodyear m/t r's and the like. WHich tires has the most treadlife? Cause I need aggressive for off roading, but practicle for street, since my runner is also my daily driver? So any advice would be great... thanks
I am in the same boat--as most people are--that your rig is primarily driven on the street, but you love to take it off road, and also want a more agressive looking tire as to not be confused with a soccer mom. Keeping this in mind, I've heard the BFG is a very capable, well performing tire, but can be loud on road. I don't know much about pro comp other than they just seem to be a knock off company--a copy cat, with nothing really original or innovative. Mickey Thompson tires are known for being constructed of a more soft rubber compound, are expensive, and wear out FAST. Goodyears are good tires--but just don't do it for me personally. The Toyos are supposed to be the most quiet mud tire out there. They perform well in mud--and not so well in sand. They are in really high demand right now and you may have to wait a bit to get them.

If we were smart, we would buy BFG All Terrains...which perform awesome on the street and pretty damn good off road too. I have over 100k on mine--I know I've said that before--but just have been an outstanding tire.

Probably will go with the Toyos though :pat:
Old 03-28-2005, 08:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by leebee
take a look at my post re: firestone destination m/t tires. ive been doing quite a bit of research and they look to be the best bet of the bunch. pricing is pretty close and as with anything else, shop around. ive had quotes from 215$ to 180$ cdn/tire, ask for a package deal including steel wheels, pricing does come down a bit more that way. hope this helps.

lee

Firestone--isn't that the company that had tire failures on all those Explorers a few years back?
Old 03-28-2005, 09:51 PM

I had the Toyo tires on a truck i use to have[ sold the truck] but will buy the Toyo tires once the tires i have were out. I have Toyo Proxes tires on my wifes mini van, and Toyo Proxes FZ4 on her Prelude. Toyo tires are the best tires i've bought.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I’ve been researching tires to. I’m going to need some new tires here soon. I have 3 requirements for my mud terrains and I believe being quiet on-road should not be a requirement. Just turn the radio up a little more.

1. To have a proven off-road tread pattern.
2. To last for many miles on-road (45,000 +++++).
3. To be easy on my wallet (paying over 150 a tire is crazy I think, I live on a beer and bread budget).

In my search I think I found the perfect tire or at least a tire that fits my requirements. I found the “Kumho Road VENTURE MT” and to add a little icing to the cake there quieter on-road to. I’ve found these tire’s as low as $110.00 each.

http://www.kumhousa.com/Products/Ptn...22&mainCatID=2

From my research this tire has a proven tread pattern, last for many miles, and is quieter on the road.

These websites have reviews and more information regarding the Venture MT’s.

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...ommentStatus=P

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/27702/
Old 03-29-2005, 01:21 AM
Contributing Member

hey yobroe!

i am refering to the destination m/t tires, not the passenger tires that came on the exploders. nothing like a situation like that to inspire new ideas and technologies to improve the breed.

lee
Old 03-29-2005, 07:01 AM

I've been pretty happy w/ my Destination Mt's also. They are wearing quite well after 1 yr (23k), they are fairly quiet on road for an MT, they handle well in the rain, and they tear thru the sloppy stuff. My $.02
Old 03-29-2005, 08:50 AM

Check out the April issue of Four Wheeler Magazine. They have a special tire and wheel section and rate the Firestone Destination AT, Cooper Discoverer STT, Interco Super Swamper IROK, Toyo Open Country A/T and Yokohama Geolandar M/T+.

Brian
Old 03-29-2005, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mojo_Risin
I too have been waiting for the Toyo 285's but have been told they arn't available yet - was told middle of march - then was told midle of may. blah blah. Now I'm leaning towards these - the Cooper tire Discoverer STT

John
Wow, that's a good looking tire, I may have to try out a set of those on my work truck. It looks like the tread pattern from a Toyo M/T and the sidewalls of a Trxus M/T.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:53 PM

Has anyone had any experience with Kelly Safari DTR's? I found them recently and they look pretty tough. I too am after a tire that is good quality and low cost!