Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

I need help/opinions!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need help/opinions!!

Im getting frusterated with my truck and my SAS I recently finished and ready to sell it all!!!

Unless, I can get some help lol. The front end went just find. I jacked up my rear axle driveline angle buy making the pinion point too low. I have a 5inch SAS and rear lift kit. I was told not to follow Trail Gears directions on the pinion angle for the driveline because it will give me hellacious vibrations. so I found this, http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...n-Measurements, Followed it the best I could and I read it wrong and did it wrong! lol. I know I suck and Im an idiot, (this is my first SAS btw).

A local offroad shop told me to follow trail gears directions with a slight change this time. But it contridicts the link from above. I dont know what to do for a driveline angle and Im going to freak out soon if I cant drive my truck!

Anyone with any input, opinions or help is GREATLY appreciated. Im going to tackle this once again this weekend if anyone can help in that time frame....

Last edited by Fink; 09-10-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
How does a SAS have any thing to do with the rear drive shaft pinion angle? What exactly are you trying to do? If this is indeed the front drive shaft you are asking about, see below:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Shims.shtml#FAQ1

Your two option on the front are to do nothing and live with 4WD vibes, or cut/rotate the knuckles and spring perches to give you a pinion angle suitable for the drive shaft setup.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by ride4x4forlife
Im getting frusterated with my truck and my SAS I recently finished and ready to sell it all!!!

Unless, I can get some help lol. The front end went just find. I jacked up my rear axle driveline angle buy making the pinion point too low. I have a 5inch SAS and rear lift kit. I was told not to follow Trail Gears directions on the pinion angle for the driveline because it will give me hellacious vibrations. so I found this, http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...n-Measurements, Followed it the best I could and I read it wrong and did it wrong! lol. I know I suck and Im an idiot, (this is my first SAS btw).

A local offroad shop told me to follow trail gears directions with a slight change this time. But it contridicts the link from above. I dont know what to do for a driveline angle and Im going to freak out soon if I cant drive my truck!

Anyone with any input, opinions or help is GREATLY appreciated. Im going to tackle this once again this weekend if anyone can help in that time frame....
First off if it is a trail gear lift and sas swap stick with their build specs another way to get a better drive angle with that much lift is lower you transmission and transfer case. You can lower these about an 1.5" and not have to worry about straining your motor mounts... other then that you can shim which is fine if you are just driving on the road and slight wheeling but if you are going to wheel heavy I would redo your perches and pinion angle also look into cv driveshafts that will help too...
Old 10-21-2011, 09:39 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Done dozens of rear lift kits from TG at my shop, their directions work just fine although I don't read then anymore, pretty much got it by now.
Cut off the perch plates, rotate, weld on new ones.

SAS has nothing to do with your rear.

Adding a rear dshaft cv joint helps to greatly minimize or eliminate any onroad vibrations.

:wabbit2:
Old 04-08-2012, 11:06 AM

Having problems finding a toyota straight axle so i was wondering how hard it will be to put 1/2 ton chevy axles under it
Old 09-06-2012, 09:41 AM

Trail Gear 5" Rear LIft Drive Shaft issues

I sas'd my front with the Trail Gear 5" kit and ended up making a front drive shaft from square channel. Now I'm ready to purchase the rear kit but am afraid of having to get a drive shaft made I'm unsure if its going to be long enough. Has anyone used this kit before and if so needed a new rear drive shaft?
Old 09-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Banned

You will have to lengthen the rear DS.

If you want to actually use it you will have to use a thicker tube.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:54 AM

Ok so I just need the tube lengthened? Now is it possible to switch to a Chevy or Ford drive shaft with different flanges? Will any of them be the correct length?
Old 09-06-2012, 09:55 AM
Banned

Lengthened and thicker wall tube.

No.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:03 AM

Ok looks like I'm gonna have to start calling local shops