Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

possibility of nissan ka24de swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
possibility of nissan ka24de swap

so my bro has a nissan ka24de engine in his 240sx. he is swapping in a sr20 very soon and so he will have the ka, pulling it out this weekend. i have the opportunity to have the ka if id like.

anyway i was thinking about possibly swapping the ka in place of my 3vz. i just rebuilt the 3vz but i absolutly dispise this engine. its heavy, packed in the truck, a pita to work on, cant rev over 4k (last time i did i blew camshaft seal), and i generally don't like it.

the ka has an extremely similar design as a 22re. it is a sohc 2.4l (incase some don't know). the exaust exits the same as the 3vz and 22re, the engine comparment layout is very similar as in the location the wires come through fire wall, the location of the coil, the location of the air intake. in short very very similar.

the ka already has headers, aftermarket air intake, and if i want there is a turbo kit available locally for $500. the ka needs rebuilt but thats nothing i cant handle. this engine also came in nissan hardbody trucks

i do know that i will need to make an adapter to fit it to my tranny (if anyone can guide me to an example to make an adapter??), i will need to cut and rewire the ka ecu into the truck for gauges and such, may or maynot need to modify oilpan to fit around front diff, need to make motor mounts.

so what do you guys think? should i go for it? what am i missing?

u will find me all over this forum trying to figure out what engine to swap in my truck but this one seems like a cheap way to go being that i have the engine and it is so similar to the 22re.

any help/opinions are appreciated?

Last edited by hjkmotor; 11-11-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:52 PM

the ka is a great motor as far as work horses go, really quite similar to the 22re. I've seen afew swapped into older datsun pickups and idealy i want to do that to my 71 datto pickup. That being said i love a good engine swap but in this case im not a huge fan of cross breeding. But if you have insist i'd try to track down a nissan tranny and transfer case (not sure if they are pass or drivers side output?) as im not too sure an adapter would be around for your swap idea.

If you go over to ratsun.net they have links to "how to put a ka into anything" threads lol

Good luck man!
Old 11-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a huge fan of Hybrid swaps, but I personally don't think this one is a very good idea. It'll cost too much money to get it in your truck and drivable with all systems working. I say beat the VZ until you blow it up, then go 3.4. Just my opinion though, it would be cool to see it done however.

Last edited by turboboost; 11-11-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:07 AM

thanks guys.

yeah normally im not a huge fan of cross breeding either but it just seems too perfect and i would really like to give it a try.

i thought about getting a nissan tranny and transfercase but ill have to see how it goes. for now we are trying to get the engine and tranny out of the 240sx and once i can really look at the engine i will see what i can do...... since its so similar to the 22re might be able to get a 22re bell housing to work but hell i don't know and its a long shot but ill find out.

ill surely post a write up if i decide to do it.

Last edited by hjkmotor; 11-12-2009 at 08:21 AM.