Land Usage & Off Road Responsibility Discussion pertaining to the education of proper land usage, closures, and responsible off road driving

Stay on the trails, do not go around closed gates

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Stay on the trails, do not go around closed gates

I am not flaming the author of this thread, it is only for an example as to why it is important to tread lightly.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...damage-fj.html

Not only did he do $8K of damage to his new rig, but also may have done damage to a road or trail.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:46 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
For cryin' out loud! Not a video I'd be proud of.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I am sure he will learn from this.
We all made mistakes the first time out.

Many are unaware of the Tread Lightly! concepts, and it takes a few other members to educate them.

Then some people will never learn, they think they are above the rules/laws and can do whatever they please, and they do not care if it spoils it for the rest of us who practice and abide by Tread Lightly.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just have to wonder what goes through his head. "Oh, there's a gate here, says 'road closed.' I'm not sure what those two words mean, I guess it's trying to tell us there's a detour on the left or right side of the gate, let's do that!"
Old 04-19-2007, 12:52 PM

well, i would say he learned that the hard way...

it worries me to see the FJ ads in about every magazine i pick up touting them as off road vehicals. without a competent driver bad things will happen and the repercussions will affect all of us.

One thing i like about this site is that there is the tread lightly bbanner displayed but even here it could be displayed more promonantly on every page!

As a teacher i have noticed that common sense regarding nature is not at all common. It has truly been lost or buried by our "modern" society.

Mike
Old 04-23-2007, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Seems like there was more to the story (round about pg. 8 of the thread). Putting that information on the initial post would not only have saved the originator all the "perceived negative" comments but also would have made the post complete so that the lurking "greenies" don't take it out of context and use it for their own uses. As-is, the first post sound damning for off-roaders, the follow up, 8-pages later makes it seem less bad, but what "greenie" is going to take the time to paste the two posts together?
Old 04-25-2007, 09:55 PM
7wt

Wow, some people.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:52 PM

Yea you need to read all of the pages, he comes back and clarifies.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by sc4runner4x4
Yea you need to read all of the pages, he comes back and clarifies.
This reminds me a lot of the "rock and muddy place" discussion recently. Everything was taken completely out of context because he didn't include a more complete description of the events, and it reflected poorly on him as a poster. Someone could read that first post, and then say that's how off-roaders behave, even on these forums, and reflect poorly on the rest of us. He sure got flamed hard, and it was his own fault.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:03 PM

Well from what i have read he didn't brake the law of the USFS, the mound was a "water bar" and loggers use them to provent wash-outs when a fire happens they put up a mount to keep people from cutting fire wood, a loaded truck cannot get over a tarp. A USFS personal helped him and let him go so that means that it was okay. I drive FS roads all day and run into like that a lot, dead tree is a dead tree thats why I carry a chainsaw. what he did would be in the gray shade.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
still though people need to learn to respect the laws of open land. i enjoy offroading with trucks and 4 wheelers as well as anyone else, but if i come to a sign that says "keep out!" or "no tresspassing" ill turn around and look for another trail. they tend to put those signs there for a reason...
Old 09-10-2007, 09:26 PM

true a closed road is what it means closed to the public. I aguree with that and I follow the tread lightly guildlines since I want to use these road for years to come.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:48 PM

i mean yeah it sucks when they close your favorite trail, but they obviously did so for a reason, you know? i dont agree with all the housing and malls theyre building now, but hey you gotta live somewhere right? and with the malls and the self storages... arent there MORE than enuf of those? i mean theres a spot in san diego that has EIGHT self storages all within 3 miles of each other... how outrageous is that.. it all used to be open land free to offroad on
Old 09-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
i mean yeah it sucks when they close your favorite trail, but they obviously did so for a reason, you know? i dont agree with all the housing and malls theyre building now, but hey you gotta live somewhere right? and with the malls and the self storages... arent there MORE than enuf of those? i mean theres a spot in san diego that has EIGHT self storages all within 3 miles of each other... how outrageous is that.. it all used to be open land free to offroad on
I think they need to have a self storage parking garage type deal, where they build up instead of out, and leave our trails open. Yeah, this guy was not smart to not clarify why he did what he did. I read most of it, but I can see some eco's getting a little pissed if they read just the beginning, as SO MANY of them do when they are scouting for reasons to shut us down.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Contributing Member

Stay on the trail! Don't cut corners. Don't misuse trails. If it says ATV/DirtBikes only, stay off it! Don't attempt a trail if the only easy way back out is a locked gate (ie, slickrock. We hit an obstacle that stopped us...and someone had the nerve to say that if we made it down there was a gate we could just go around to get back out. We turned around and headed home.) Do your research and keep our trails open!!! And don't 'mud' - I don't care how redneck you are. Don't tear up the land. That is not wheeling. That is not what responsibly recreation looks like.

And wash your rig when you get home. Quit transporting noxious weeds!

TreadLightly

Last edited by JoKEpLaYeR; 09-10-2007 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:40 PM

wash it? whats the fun in that? haha. nothing looks better than an old yoda covered in mud
Old 09-10-2007, 10:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JoKEpLaYeR
And wash your rig when you get home. Quit transporting noxious weeds!
I'll never wash my rig!!! I usually just bomb through a few puddles on the way home.JK No, I know that the weed issue is pretty serious, I live on a lake, and people bring Hydrilla over here from all over the place on their boat trailers, and stuff. The stuff just clogs up EVERYTHING. I make sure and wash my rig at the self car wash, just so everyone else who can't go wheeling can enjoy some of the mud as well. And yes, you can still get some mud caked on your rig while treading lightly.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:48 PM

hehe yeah i know. best place to go wheeling? nellis AFB public offroad recreation area. i wish i had new shocks so i could go wheeling... its supposed to rain good and hard tomorrow
Old 09-10-2007, 10:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
hehe yeah i know. best place to go wheeling? nellis AFB public offroad recreation area. i wish i had new shocks so i could go wheeling... its supposed to rain good and hard tomorrow
Yeah, but what's a good hard rain in the desert? Like 0.08 inches...
Old 09-10-2007, 10:54 PM

youd be surprised... remember that post about the accident in arizona? its like that out here. i remember waking up about 2 weeks ago about 4am. there was a BIG thunderstorm goin on... poured, hailed, lightning flashed, thunder boomed, knocked out the power, and kept raining until like 10am. all the streets were muddy and dirty. i had fun. now you call that a minor storm? hahaha.

Quick Reply: Stay on the trails, do not go around closed gates