FJ Cruiser 2007 & on

FJ Cruiser MPG

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 06:35 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
FJ Cruiser MPG

Not that I care what I get for miles per gallon, if I did I would not have bought an FJ Cruiser or any Toyota SUV or truck for that matter, I would have bought an econo-car.

Just curious what others are getitng.

Specs:
auto tranny
roof rack
4WD
stock size tires

Combined city/freeway driving, no jack rabbit starts:

First tank
17.5 MPG

Second tank

Almost a two mile per difference on the second tank.
I think the dealer used regular grade on my first tank.
Last week I filled up with super premium, and on my third tank here I filled up again with super premium, 91 octane.

Better mileage with the higher octane.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought it would be worse. Where's the damn diesel power plant!
Old 08-06-2006, 07:12 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Diesel is two years away.
Not Toyotas fault, it is the USAs fault.

The Toyota diesel is designed to run on a better diesel fuel than the US has right now, I think it is called bio diesel or something like that.

All other counties have it, so they get diesels in their Toys.
When the US gets its act together with the new fuel in all of the states, Toyota will ship rigs with diesels over here.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

Corey, why does premium get you better mpg? I thought as long as the car/truck has a knock sensor, there was no point of putting fuel rated higher than what would not cause the car to knock? Not saying what you said is false, just trying to get more info...
Old 08-06-2006, 07:55 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I do not know why it does, but reading this info over on another FJC forum netted that it does.

The difference between regular and super is not worth it to me to skimp, I think it is $100 a year or so?
I would have to calculate it out.

You get a little more power and MPG with the super from reading tests, so that is what I will try for awhile.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Corey
I do not know why it does, but reading this info over on another FJC forum netted that it does.

The difference between regular and super is not worth it to me to skimp, I think it is $100 a year or so?
I would have to calculate it out.

You get a little more power and MPG with the super from reading tests, so that is what I will try for awhile.
Thanks for the reply. I always wondered this but after reading about this on yotatech and other places, I thought the consensus was higher octane didn't do much. The reason I ask is exactly your point; $100 more a year is not a big deal, especially if it gets better mpg and is better for the motor.

Anyway, thanks and hijack off...
Old 08-06-2006, 08:24 PM

The FJ cruiser does have a knock sensor, most new vehicles do. According to Toyota you're supposed to run premium from the factory, at least this was the initial official statement. The 4.0 as it sits in the FJ is tuned for premium, but can run on lower octane fuels, it just won't run as well.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by WillsFJC
The FJ cruiser does have a knock sensor, most new vehicles do. According to Toyota you're supposed to run premium from the factory, at least this was the initial official statement. The 4.0 as it sits in the FJ is tuned for premium, but can run on lower octane fuels, it just won't run as well.
This is what I understood too. The 4.0 is made for premium, so it will run better on it but it's not necessary. And an average .20 per gallon extra is less than $4 extra per tank, so using premium would be well worth it if there were gains to be had. Does anyone think this would help a 3.4 or could this just be because the 4.0 prefers it? I track my mileage every tank, so I'd be willing to be the guinea pig and try it out.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:04 AM

Not 100% sure but maybe the variable valve timing comes into play to take advantage of the premium gas? Might give it a shot on my Tundra...
Old 08-07-2006, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 2jmotorsports
Not 100% sure but maybe the variable valve timing comes into play to take advantage of the premium gas? Might give it a shot on my Tundra...
I think it's kind of funny that the advance of VVT-i has allowed the 4.0L to get better gas mileage, ending up with roughly the exact same thing the previous 3.4L engine achived without it. ...I find it funny in a "that actually kinda sucks way".
Old 08-07-2006, 07:37 PM

Timing advance it the correct answer!
Old 08-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Corey, I'm getting 15-16 City, 19-20 Hwy on Chevron Supreme 91 and Mobil 1 5W-30. I drive moderately aggressively, about 80% on two-lane mountain roads between sea level and 4,000 ft., temps between 60 and 105, A/C on 100%, A/T tires at 35 psi all around.

The 1GR has a knock sensor on each bank. I don't think Regular would harm the engine, but it wouldn't develop max power either. The one tank of Regular I ran (gas jockey error), I heard detonation when accelerating at WOT in 1st gear from a standstill done as a test. It was brief but audible. Since then it's been Premium only for me.

Doing the math based on 15,000 miles/year and 20¢/gal more for 91 and a conservative 16 mpg, it would cost you $187.50 more for Premium and about $10/year less for each mpg increase above that. Worth it, IMO, and whatever you do, please stick with Tier 1 fuel, currently Chevron, Shell and 76 on the West coast.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:42 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Bob, on the tier one fuel, any idea what the local Safeways up here are using?
I use to use 76 all the time, but since Safeway put in a fuel barn here at the store I shop at, I just get gas there, then park and go inside to get the vittles for the week.

The Chevrons and Shells here (a few right by Safeway) are generaly 5 cents or more for 91 octane.

I have had good luck with Safeway, but I wonder where it comes from.

Also I should see an increase from that 19.5 I just got after the engine breaks in and I switch over to Amsoil synthetic in the future.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:38 AM

Corey, FWIW I have over 50K on my 4.0 L. I have kept pretty good track of the gas milage for about the last 30k, I have run high octane about 10 times and noticed no difference in power or MPG. I average about 17-18 CIty and 21-23 Highway. In my experience its just not worth it to pay for the high octane gas. I put the cheapest 87 octane I can find in it and drive the hell out of it.

Last edited by Boaz; 08-08-2006 at 04:39 AM.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Corey, when I asked them at the Safeway station a few months ago, they didn't know either. It's delivered in unmarked trucks. It wouldn't have the proprietary additives like Techron or V-Power exclusive to the other brands, and AFAIK makes no Tier 1 claims.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:16 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Hmmmm...
Thanks Bob, I may switch back to Union 76 again, even though I get 6 cents off every gallon at Safeway if I spend $50 a week on vittles which is very easy to do.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:27 AM

Corey - you might want to ask at the 76 station - the one up here in Bothell has a "super tuesday" special that is unadvertised - $0.05 (there is no cents key anymore!) off every tuesday - most of the locals know it and I see the same performace rigs in there all the time. That coupled with the fact that they are usually the the cheapest around makes it worthwhile.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Corey
Hmmmm...
Thanks Bob, I may switch back to Union 76 again, even though I get 6 cents off every gallon at Safeway if I spend $50 a week on vittles which is very easy to do.
I would stay away from no brand gas. You are better off with Mobil, Exxon, Shell, & Chevron.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

for what its wrth i ran a tank of 91 from chevron, and on the freeway only got 14.8 mpg, im not sure if it was the wind or large rack i had on top, but on my way back home on mid grade , i beleive 89 octane from chevron i got 17.2. ive been afraid to try 91 octane ever since. i was going west on i 84 from tri cities to the dalles, when i got the bad gas milage and east on i84 when i got the good gas milage with the same rack.
most recently , ith out the extra rack on , i got 18.8 on the same route, with mid grade going east and west. also i had my a/c on both trips. i drive 5 over the speed limit and usually never have to touch the gas , going up hills or down , gotta love the vvt.

airrikk17
Old 08-08-2006, 05:54 PM

Gas milage

Just returned from Colorado with my new FJ.

Auto
Roof rack
2WD
rock rails

Kept it at 65 mph on the way out from eastern Kansas. 21.3 mpg on the way out. Intown only I'm about 17.5 to 18. I'm older so I'm a little slower off the green which I'm sure helps.

It was a mountain goat on the trails in the mountains. Much nicer plateform than my 4Runner.

The head mechanic at the dealership said 91 octane was no big deal. I would beg to differ.

Quick Reply: FJ Cruiser MPG