93-98 T100s All T100 trucks

Issues With T100's

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issues With T100's

I am looking for a T100, 4x4, XCab, 3.4, Prefer automatic. SR5.

Concerns are as follows. I have read some of the threads on the flex plate problems.
Is there any way to check this out before buying or at least are there also any warning signs before a meltdown of the flexplate and trans??

I have heard that the T100 automatics are problematic in and of themselves
even w/o the flexplate issue. Any experience or feedback on this one?

There are so few around in my area, that I have not even been able to sit in one yet. I am 6 ft tall. I am concerned that the seat is too low.
Wondering if anyone else has had an issue with the seats. One could put lift spacers under the seat mounts as long as it does not compromise the head room.

Thanks
Old 12-25-2007, 05:35 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 96 SR5, x-cab, 3.4L auto.

200k on trans, no issues. Previous owner changed fluid every 15-20k. No other issues to write home about besides a jumpy speedo and I replaced the brakes (rears and fronts and calipers and rear wheel cylinders) due to age.

T100 trannies are quite strong for the most part, but people have to maintain them just like any other trans. If you neglect it for 100k of course it will blow..
Old 12-26-2007, 04:14 PM

I wouldn't worry about the trans much. It's a toyota, they are bombproof. If you take care of it the wheels will fall off the car before your tranny or engine goes bad.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:52 PM

If I had an auto, I would change out the flex plate as PM.

I am 6'5" and the seat fits me fine.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:44 AM

Okay, someone's gotta be the dumbass, right? Why not me? What's a flexplate? I'm 44 years old, owned this T100 since new in '98, and I've never even heard of a flexplate before. Now all of a sudden, I've seen it mentioned in this and another T100 thread on another forum. My T only has 98K miles on it so far, but is this something I need to worry about as it ages further? Also, how do you know when a flexplate goes bad? Strange noises or does she just "no go no more"?
Old 12-28-2007, 08:08 AM

automatics have a flex plate rather than a flywheel...
Old 12-28-2007, 09:06 AM

Your rig will make terrible noises, and if you are gong down the highway, it will likely take out your tranny too. This is by no means an epidemic, but IMHO, it is a cheap part to replace for peace of mind.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:15 PM

Yeah, I'm the guy who has posted about the flex plate recently, and on both sites.

Probably not an epidemic, but becoming much more common as these T100s get up and beyond 125,000+ miles.

I don't think I would swap one out as a preventative maintainence issue, but if you're getting up in miles you should at least be prepared to blow some coin on getting it fixed. If you can do it yourself, the part costs around $200 from the dealer. If you can't do your own wrenching then expect to pay between $400 and $1000 in labor.

My first issue I noticed the noise (which was faint for a long time) and took it to a buddy who had experience with these trucks. He told me what the issue was, and we talked about my options. He said it was OK to drive for a while, but that I should get it fixed immediately if it got a good deal louder. Well, being a bit lazy I noticed it get a little louder, and on a sunday drive home from being 100 miles from home, it blew up on the highway. I was gonna take it in that monday! The fragments took out the torque converter, and unfortunately some of the metal made it's way into the tranny. So without a rebuild, the tranny was toast.

I got a used tranny/torque converter/flexplate from my mechanic, which they installed. About $1900 (including tax and labor - thanks CA!).

At the time, I figured I was out of the woods and on my way to 300K miles, but unfortunately the USED flex plate installed had 140K miles on it. I drove another 20K miles and now this used one is also cracked, but hasn't broken yet. I'm NOT driving the truck. While it was in the shop, they found my coolant low and tested the coolant -- which shows a head gasket leak. I've done some research on the head gasket issue, and apparently this is also more common that one would like to believe.

I love this truck, but don't know what to do with it. It's in great shape, with a nice shell and kit in the back, and I've driven it about 100K miles. But the estimates to fix all of these issues (here in CA where the shops with good reputation charge 90/hour labor) is $4000. So it's sitting at home right now, and I'm looking for a used engine and someone to install it for me.

So these are the two issues to consider if you want a T100. It wouldn't scare me off if I bought it used now, but since I paid around $14K for this truck 4 years ago and have already had $2000 in repair bills plus at least another $2000 to get it back on the road, I'm thinking twice about keeping it.

Monk

PS as far as the AT goes, I've heard exactly the opposite: around here, there are so many trannys available at salvage yards (since they are well built) that salvage doesn't want anymore of them. They just sit on the shelves.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:21 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like I said, no issues here at all.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:44 PM

Are the only ones having probs with the flexplate is the 4x4 T's?
Old 01-15-2008, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by BamZipPow
Are the only ones having probs with the flexplate is the 4x4 T's?
Not sure, but my T100 is a 4x4 extracab.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, as everyone else has said, not many have had these problems. I've just had bad luck with mine. I wouldn't let it stop you from owning one of these kickass trucks.

I'm thinking I'll fix mine and keep it, even though I bought another car and had intended to sell it. But I think I want to keep it for it's main use and not daily drive the hell out of it like I have for the past 4 years. I want to keep it for a long time.

Col Monk

Last edited by Colonel Monk; 01-15-2008 at 10:01 AM. Reason: brain not working....
Old 02-16-2008, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Colonel Monk
Yeah, I'm the guy who has posted about the flex plate recently, and on both sites.

Probably not an epidemic, but becoming much more common as these T100s get up and beyond 125,000+ miles.

I don't think I would swap one out as a preventative maintainence issue, but if you're getting up in miles you should at least be prepared to blow some coin on getting it fixed. If you can do it yourself, the part costs around $200 from the dealer. If you can't do your own wrenching then expect to pay between $400 and $1000 in labor.

My first issue I noticed the noise (which was faint for a long time) and took it to a buddy who had experience with these trucks. He told me what the issue was, and we talked about my options. He said it was OK to drive for a while, but that I should get it fixed immediately if it got a good deal louder. Well, being a bit lazy I noticed it get a little louder, and on a sunday drive home from being 100 miles from home, it blew up on the highway. I was gonna take it in that monday! The fragments took out the torque converter, and unfortunately some of the metal made it's way into the tranny. So without a rebuild, the tranny was toast.

I got a used tranny/torque converter/flexplate from my mechanic, which they installed. About $1900 (including tax and labor - thanks CA!).

At the time, I figured I was out of the woods and on my way to 300K miles, but unfortunately the USED flex plate installed had 140K miles on it. I drove another 20K miles and now this used one is also cracked, but hasn't broken yet. I'm NOT driving the truck. While it was in the shop, they found my coolant low and tested the coolant -- which shows a head gasket leak. I've done some research on the head gasket issue, and apparently this is also more common that one would like to believe.

I love this truck, but don't know what to do with it. It's in great shape, with a nice shell and kit in the back, and I've driven it about 100K miles. But the estimates to fix all of these issues (here in CA where the shops with good reputation charge 90/hour labor) is $4000. So it's sitting at home right now, and I'm looking for a used engine and someone to install it for me.

So these are the two issues to consider if you want a T100. It wouldn't scare me off if I bought it used now, but since I paid around $14K for this truck 4 years ago and have already had $2000 in repair bills plus at least another $2000 to get it back on the road, I'm thinking twice about keeping it.

Monk

PS as far as the AT goes, I've heard exactly the opposite: around here, there are so many trannys available at salvage yards (since they are well built) that salvage doesn't want anymore of them. They just sit on the shelves.

My 98 T100 just started making a small noise at 122k. I thought it sounded like it was coming from the Transfercase. It's kind of a faint rattle. I hear it more when it's under 30F outside too. It goes away after a few miles (5 or so) of driving no matter what the temps are outside.

Better start investigating. That doesn't sound fun at all.

Thanks for the "Heads up".

-Mark

Last edited by Elk333; 02-16-2008 at 03:46 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:37 AM

I just purchased a T100, so curious about this flexplate issue.

What kind of noise are you noticing? It's hard to ascertain which noises are normal in a truck I've barely been driving, especially with the extra noise the large tires make.

Also, I'm assuming that a mechanic would have to take a few things about to inspect the flexplate? I got the truck inspected at a Toyota dealership before buying it, but doubt he would notice a deterioating flexplate.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Reggie Died
I just purchased a T100, so curious about this flexplate issue.

What kind of noise are you noticing? It's hard to ascertain which noises are normal in a truck I've barely been driving, especially with the extra noise the large tires make.

Also, I'm assuming that a mechanic would have to take a few things about to inspect the flexplate? I got the truck inspected at a Toyota dealership before buying it, but doubt he would notice a deterioating flexplate.

My noise is just a weird rattle.

As I accelerate, it gets a bit louder and kind of sounds like a sequential transmission out of a rally car, a really quiet one. As I decelerate, it gets quieter.

It kind of winds up/down when the RPM goes up and down. Like rrrrrrrRRRRRRRRR and RRRRRrrrrrrrrr <--- Bad example I know. Imagine that in "rattle form".

Like I said though, it completely goes away after 5 -10 miles. Weird stuff for sure. I've changed all the fluids in the last month, and that didn't help a bit. So I'm guessing I either have a transfercase issue or it's this damn flexplate.

I'm going to try to take it in to my friends 4 wheel shop next week and have him take a shot at it.

-Mark

Last edited by Elk333; 02-19-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:54 PM

seat height in T-100

I have a 96 T-100 thats a manual 2x4 with the 2.7ltr. I love the big little truck as far as space is concearned and im 6'1 200lbs I didnt notice any height issues until you mentioned it...feeling to low' gotten used to it. I believe that if you want you can jack up the seat without any head room issues' the ceiling is quite high. I've been in larger trucks where my head was uncomfortably close, and it was not modified.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:56 PM

RE: seat height

Has'nt been an issue for me.