General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new switch for rear window...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Batman
yes, they are just jumper wires, just take a small piece of wire for each jumper and connect the leads
Thanks for reply. A previous owner had done this by-pass wiring. I discovered this during process of trying to fix window. First I replaced relay box in left rear side. Then when I learned how to and removed console to replace switch with another switch. I found out that this wiring had been done. Factory switch was still there plugged into harness and had been left tucked beneath console. A switch that fit perfect into console switch opening had been wired into this bypass wire-job. It had VW markings on it. I had thought reason why this switch looked different from real Toyota switch was maybe model year difference. Replacement switch is from a 95 my vehicle is a 92. For awhile I numbered the 4wires and capped them and just would uncap and touch wires together as needed. Anyways dpdt switch should work. When motor has to be replaced is when I'll tear into the tailgate and find out any damage done to motor factory harness/pigtail. Hopefully they only tapped into motor leads. I may be able to eventually have window operated by factory switch in console. They did put fused link at battery with this bypass wire-job. Overall not a big deal, I'll live. Thanks again I just wanted to share an ownership adventure.

Last edited by astynx; 06-07-2011 at 05:21 PM.