General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new switch for rear window...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new switch for rear window...

i tried doing some looking, but couldnt find anything so im gonna try here. i have an 87 runner and im trying to wire in a new switch just to bypass all the hassle of the trucks harness. my issue is that my window motor works when i hook power right to it, than i follow the wires up ti the relay, still works, but only slower that if i hooked power straight to the motor, i extended the wires by about 4 feet, and now the motor does nothing... im sure im doing something wrong here but i dont know what... so if anyone has an idea, or knows of a good write up i couldnt locate please let me know!
Old 12-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
See below:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...layReplacement

Check the voltage across the motor with your switch next to the motor and with the additional wire. Sounds like you are getting too much voltage drop with the added wire.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:47 PM

mighty fast response... ummm, i have not checked anything yet, i just wanted to add that im using a 5 connector switch, like the stock one... so if that make a difference i dont know, i just though id ad tht in case in does... so im not using a six wire switch, but a five like the original one... i will check out the power once i get the chance.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:25 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

1 pin on the switch is for the light. on the factory switch

If your new switch doesn`t have a light you won`t need to use it. I t could cause you problems. I just used a double throw momentary switch with 4 pins it works fine

just curious what size wire are you using??
Old 12-06-2010, 04:33 PM

I'ma follow this one. take pictures!
Old 12-06-2010, 04:34 PM

my window switch is toast as well. been kinda looking around for another one but not to hard. i just pulled the switch out and made contact from the back side.

are these switches kinda hard to get a hold of?
Old 12-06-2010, 06:08 PM

i actually bought my switch from a boating supply store, it has a light, but whether or not im gonna use it is another story. and i think my wire choice is too thick... but its all i had laying around, and its fairly close to the thickness of the wire for the motor... so im guessing i hooked it up wrong, and have too thick of wire?
Old 12-06-2010, 06:13 PM

http://greatlakesskipper.com/product...le-switch.html

this is the one that i bought... which was nice, since i only live like 10 minutes away from their warehouse so i was able to pick it up

Last edited by Batman; 12-06-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:15 PM

wire thickness if its larger then stock. should have nothing to do with the motor not working well. have you checked your contacts of your wires. where the wire goes into the motor. and your grounds? how are your grounds?

or the motor itself could have crapped out. test the motor by itself. with out the added wires that you have going on. and that'll eliminate if its your wiring or if its your motor.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
1 pin on the switch is for the light. on the factory switch

If your new switch doesn`t have a light you won`t need to use it. I t could cause you problems. I just used a double throw momentary switch with 4 pins it works fine

just curious what size wire are you using??

how did you wire yours up? cause i dont think i did it right...
Old 12-08-2010, 09:21 AM

seriously tho... im stuck tryin to wire up my switch... can i please get some info on how to do so?
Old 12-08-2010, 12:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Pool Playen Bob
my window switch is toast as well. been kinda looking around for another one but not to hard. i just pulled the switch out and made contact from the back side.

are these switches kinda hard to get a hold of?
Local guy I have gotten parts from, Good guy and parts have been in remarkable shape. It appears he's got a switch if your still looking:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f109...7537-a-223091/

should be in the first pic
Old 12-08-2010, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Had an 88 with non-original tail gate. I used this approach, hiding a switch under the plastic cap next to the plate lights. No added wire, used the section on the motor and a hot one from, uh, somewhere (been a few years.) Never had any issues.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:44 PM

Red face

When I get home from work I will look in my Toyota Electrical manual.

It wouldn`t hurt to send me a PM to remind me.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:37 AM

anyone???
Old 12-12-2010, 03:27 AM

before ya rip everything out there is a rear window relay in the back usualy in the tailgate somewhere its like a sqaure flat box, you might find that is fubar which is the cause of your problem, failing that the motor bushes or cog might be warn down, handy hint instead of paying a fortune for a new motor for the lux but a toyota preivia front window motor they are half the price of the lux motor and the same part just need to put the lux wiring on the previa wiring easy job, ive done this with my lux, they are the two main parts that are common for failure. if you have already stripped it all down and rewire the whole thing it sounds like the earth wire isnt good enough or the wire your using has a break in it. if your using after market switch you will need a live from the batt to the switch, a live from switch to motor live, an earth from motor earth to switch if that makes sense, if your doing the hard wire option then i would also put a relay in aswell from batt live to switch. just to make sure. hope that helped a lil
Old 12-12-2010, 11:05 AM

actually it kinda does... ive been hopin to get information like this... i know my motor is fine, i just used it a few days prior to me posting this... ive already gone through 2 relay boxes, so im not gonna mess with those anymore... nuthing is taken apart yet, just because i was lookin for info on how to wire in a new switch... now since i got this far, what wire goes where on the switch? now mind you its a 5 wire switch,momentary on, middle is off, momentary on style switch just like stock...
Old 12-12-2010, 12:26 PM

Red face

are you sure all the safety switches and locks are in the proper place for the window to work.

on the 87 4Runner to wire up the console switch

Light blue with a red strip this goes to the center of the switch you need to figure this out with your meter.

the red with yellow stripe wire is up

the green with the yellow stripe is down

if you jumper the correct wires you can see if you have problems elsewhere.

Make it go up and down

I hope that helps. I also put my switch that it is the same as factory.

It works fine I have a new switch for a few years never did put it in yet.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:52 PM

yessir... one day everything was going fine, truck sat for a few days, nxt thing i know nuttin works... no clicking from the relay, nuttin...
Old 12-18-2010, 11:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in the processing of bi-passing the relay and stuff on an 85.

On the 85, where the motor hooks up, I ran power to the motor and it made the motor go up, i reversed the polarity (switched + and - ) and it went back down.

I think I'm just going to try to wire in a Reverse Polarity Switch to make this work. I don't know which other wires your talking about to make it go up and down. Maybe I'm to direct to the motor.

Quick Reply: new switch for rear window...