General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Conversion Problem HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID Conversion Problem HELP!!!

OK well i bought a HID Conversion kit for my 4runner. its a BI-Xenon one with Hi/Lo ad its 8000K well i put it in yesterday and works and all but about every 20 seconds the passenger one flickers and click. the bulb moves like it trying to go into but doesnt. it just flicks and moves real quick. on top of that my highs dont work. the lights are bright as hell and they work great i just dont why they are doing this. i check to make sure all my connections are tight and to see if i had a short anywhere but this is got me. any help would be great. thanks! and pics soon.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Did the kit account for the switched ground wiring on the 4Runner?
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#HarnessTypes
Old 04-08-2009, 09:17 PM

i dont understand wat u mean? its a 9004 kit. i read a little on the link but still dont understand much.

Last edited by ObeY4runner; 04-08-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ObeY4runner
i dont understand wat u mean? its a 9004 kit. i read a little on the link but still dont understand much.
Read the page linked above. In short most vehicles are switched power, that is to turn on a light you apply 12 volts to it (ground connection is always present). But Toyota uses constant power to the light then applies ground to turn the light on.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:07 PM

the guy i bought them from also said something about switching the side the its plugged into. something about polarity? so ill try to do that tomorrow.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:24 PM

so i took it all apart yesterday and switch the harness around and extended the battery cables and the same problems still occur. the passenger bulb flickers and my hi beams do not work. the lights might be stuck in high for the fact that they are super bright and my low would not be working then. either way my high beam indicator on the dash doesnt not turn on. so im assuming the its either a bulb, a ballast or the harness its self. idk im waiting for the guy to reply to me so hopefully i can get a new one. any thoughts?
Old 04-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

High beam indicator not working is due to the way Toyota wires this up and how that does not work easily with add-on HID lights and relays. Why? See below for a full description:

But in short, the high beam indicator is more like "low beams not on" than "high beams on", in that when the low beams are not on, a small current flows through the low beam filament back to the dash and through the high beam indicator to ground. But put in a relay or HID ballast and likely you don't have any connection when the low beams are off and unless you feed power back from the high beam circuit, no high beam indicator:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#TechInfo

Old 04-14-2009, 11:18 PM

ok so i read over ur page and understand more wat ur talking about. im not the samrtest when it comes to wiring. i know basic but when it comes to relays and circutry im a bit lost. i was going to have my dad look over ur page to help me figure out wat i should do. but i really havent had a chance to talk to him. so all in all wat relay(s) do i need to get and which wires do i put them with or which wires do i swap? oh and thanks for being so helpful through this.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:42 AM
Contributing Member

What you need to do is find out how the HID kit was designed to work, that it which connector pins were supposed to be ground and which were supposed to be 12 volts. Then try and hook it up that way. Or see if you can find a US vehicle with similar headlight connectors and see if you can temporarily hook up the headlights to that system and see if they are working right or not. You may be chasing a few problems and if the HIDs are bad, then you need to get them fixed first before proceeding.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Keep in mind, most HIDs don't have hi-beams. The light output is so good you don't need them...
Old 04-19-2009, 08:11 PM

also, if you bought a cheap $80 ebay kit from china, it could be just a crappy ballast. (i did and mine flicker once in a while or don't fire up on the first try)
Old 01-05-2010, 12:30 PM

so then wat would my wiring system be consider? a negative grounded system or a positive grounded system?
Old 01-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

so then wat would my wiring system be consider? a negative grounded system or a positive grounded system?
Likely switched ground:
Old 01-05-2010, 01:32 PM

cus im talking to a guy from lightwerks and they have hid's and and i told him my truck was switched ground and he asked whether it was negative or positive grounded???
Old 01-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

cus im talking to a guy from lightwerks and they have hid's and and i told him my truck was switched ground and he asked whether it was negative or positive grounded???
Negative ground on Toyotas, but the headlights have constant power and the ground connection on the headlight (which is floating) is made to turn the light on.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 crawler is correct! I just finished wiring my HIDs for my 2 pairs of Hella 700s I'm running and that is when I discovered it was a floating ground. I'm currently running single beam HIDs for my headlights and have ran into the flickering problem you are talking about the only way I was able to fix it was to create a relay setup which uses the low beam signal to turn the switch on for the relay. In your case since it is a dual beam HID you might want to take your ground from the HID kit and solder it to the ground wire coming from the toyota headlight harness. from there you might have to create relays and use the power from the low beam signal to power the first relay to activate the low beam and then use the signal from the high beam to activate the high beam relay and that should help you out!
Old 01-08-2010, 10:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
mmm..this gives me hope for my 4runner's headlights..they are stock..and they are NOT bright lmfao

Bi-xenon HID's would compliment the 4runner very well
Old 01-09-2010, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by n2o302
4 crawler is correct! I just finished wiring my HIDs for my 2 pairs of Hella 700s I'm running and that is when I discovered it was a floating ground. I'm currently running single beam HIDs for my headlights and have ran into the flickering problem you are talking about the only way I was able to fix it was to create a relay setup which uses the low beam signal to turn the switch on for the relay. In your case since it is a dual beam HID you might want to take your ground from the HID kit and solder it to the ground wire coming from the toyota headlight harness. from there you might have to create relays and use the power from the low beam signal to power the first relay to activate the low beam and then use the signal from the high beam to activate the high beam relay and that should help you out!
I added a section on the web page below covering this issue that we have run into in the past:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...HIDconversions
Old 10-11-2012, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
High beam indicator not working is due to the way Toyota wires this up and how that does not work easily with add-on HID lights and relays. Why? See below for a full description:

But in short, the high beam indicator is more like "low beams not on" than "high beams on", in that when the low beams are not on, a small current flows through the low beam filament back to the dash and through the high beam indicator to ground. But put in a relay or HID ballast and likely you don't have any connection when the low beams are off and unless you feed power back from the high beam circuit, no high beam indicator:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#TechInfo

thanks, that helps a lot, as I'm currently experiencing this issue as well

unfortunately the wiring is all Greek to me, so I have no idea where to begin once I actually lift the hood and peer under there...
Old 11-02-2012, 09:10 AM

Bixenon kit with harnass

Sorry to bring up this topic again, but I just bought a bi xenon kit by Kensun and I cant seem to get the high beam working, I tried switching the pins to all different positions but when I try the high beams it makes no difference. I don't really understand what 4crawler is trying to say in his diagrams, could someone lay it out a bit easier?

Basically the kensun kit came with a harnass (1 positive to battery and 2 grounds) with blue, white, and brown wires for the headlight connection and now that I switched them all around I don't even know what is what, i just know that it is working.

Please help, not sure what to do

Quick Reply: HID Conversion Problem HELP!!!