General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight upgrade help

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Headlight upgrade help

* Warning * I am asking for help on lighting because I honestly don't know much, I will try to explain what I want ( I don't want to argue blue lights vs white lights), if I leave somthing out, please tell me.*

I have totally had it with my crappy arse 10 dollar headlights!
I can't see a damn thing when its dark and wet out.
I have been looking into new lights for awhile now, not too seriously but its time. The whole family needs to upgrade the lights on our trucks.

For my truck:

I was looking at the hella 200mm e-codes, I like the fact that they are a glass lense, and I trust hella to give me a good product. Im not interested in any cheap ebay junk. I also looked at the roundeyes conversion, they use some sore of plastic lense which im not too happy about.

My real question is bulbs! What ones do I get?

Here's what I want.

-I know I know blue lights are not as good as pure white but I like them, I find they work better in the wet at lighting up the lines on the road.

-I want a bulb with a blue tint to it, but somthing thats gonna throw off some good light.

I don't want to convert to HID or anything, im not too familer with hid's at all, (or most bulbs for that matter) and I wanted to keep my overall cost under 200 bucks for my truck but if you guys can give me links and whatnot to stores I can work out price on my own.

If anyone can post links, pictures anything to help me out with this.

Now for the second part of my question, it pains me very much to ask somthing this lame BUT.

I am in charge of vehicle matinence and research for our trucks and I want to upgrade the bulbs in the two other trucks we have.

1989 ford f150 2wd
1990 chevy silverado 1500 2wd

I want to get some nice high(er) output lights, they defantly need a blue tint to them and if I could get them all at the same place, that would be great.

I have no clue when it comes to non sealed beam lights so YT please help me out!
Old 01-05-2008, 08:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
try www.roundeyes.com i like my set (search for roundeyes on here )
Old 01-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Contributing Member

I did look at the roundeyes, but since it was a plastic type lense I was worried about condensation since it rains so much here (most of the year). I also didn't want to buy a kit with regular lights because I want to buy blue lights aswell.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:17 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
step 1) hella e-code housings with good osram bulbs. then re-wire the stock headlight circuit using two relays drawing power straight from the battery.

step 2) never look back

step 3) (upgrade to HID's in hella e-code housings) i'll never go back to halogens again.

even autozone sells H4 bulbs (that'll fit the hella e-code housings) that give off a blue tint. i'd steer clear of all those, but if that's what you want, they still give decent light output.

if you wanted really blue, go with 8000k HID's.

Last edited by shaeff; 01-06-2008 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
your headlights are only as good as the reflectors and lenses . hella or cibie is what i would go with and a good h-4 bulb. i've found good euro spec hellas on ebay whick i have now in my 81,or you can find rectangular ones also. check with dave at susquehana motorsports. they are on the web or ebay.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put the Hella VisionPlus conversions on my 86 and love them. Modern optics with modern bulbs, easily twice the light on the road as stock headlights.

Last edited by SoCal4Running; 01-06-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by shaeff
step 1) hella e-code housings with good osram bulbs. then re-wire the stock headlight circuit using two relays drawing power straight from the battery.

step 2) never look back

step 3) (upgrade to HID's in hella e-code housings) i'll never go back to halogens again.

even autozone sells H4 bulbs (that'll fit the hella e-code housings) that give off a blue tint. i'd steer clear of all those, but if that's what you want, they still give decent light output.

if you wanted really blue, go with 8000k HID's.
1 - Does the 4crawler harness acomplish this?

2 -

3 - HID's are a little out of my price range unfortunatly. Any other recomendations for a good bulb with a MINOR blue tint? I just don't want very yellow lights.

Originally Posted by lenwood
your headlights are only as good as the reflectors and lenses . hella or cibie is what i would go with and a good h-4 bulb. i've found good euro spec hellas on ebay whick i have now in my 81,or you can find rectangular ones also. check with dave at susquehana motorsports. they are on the web or ebay.

I really like the Hella e-code lights, I was thinking about buying one of their kits.

anybody have knowlage about the bulbs that come with that kit?
Old 01-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay351
1 - Does the 4crawler harness acomplish this?
Yes it does:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...#WiringHarness

Might be worth trying this first, you may find the lights you have now work just fine given full battery voltage.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the link 4crawler.

I have looked through that page twice, and im pretty sure what I will need.

I will need the harness with the H4-style Connectors to work with the hella e-code housing and whatever bulbs they give me in the kit ( still not sure which ones to pick)

There are a few things im not too sure about.

1 - I have daytime running lights BUT they only go on at full power, you can't tell the difference between the drl and the low beams. From what your page tells me, this is fine and I won't have to mess with the drl stuff.

2 - How can I find out if I have a switched-power harness or a switched-ground headlight? I don't have any kind of manual for my truck. I know there is instructions on your website, but I really can't make sence of it. Im not the best at electrical stuff.

Any recomendations for regular bulbs for our other trucks?
Old 01-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the link 4crawler.

I have looked through that page twice, and im pretty sure what I will need.

I will need the harness with the H4-style Connectors to work with the hella e-code housing and whatever bulbs they give me in the kit ( still not sure which ones to pick)

There are a few things im not too sure about.

1 - I have daytime running lights BUT they only go on at full power, you can't tell the difference between the drl and the low beams. From what your page tells me, this is fine and I won't have to mess with the drl stuff.
Issues as noted on the web page:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ghts.shtml#DRL

On the earlier model DRL systems (i.e early '90's Canadian vehices) there is a DRL relay box that controls the DRL functions. To disable the DRLs, you can cut the black w/ orange stripe wire in the DRL relay box, if desired. The headlights work in a switched power mode and will work with or without the DRL relay functioning.
2 - How can I find out if I have a switched-power harness or a switched-ground headlight? I don't have any kind of manual for my truck. I know there is instructions on your website, but I really can't make sence of it. Im not the best at electrical stuff.
Measure the voltage at the headlight bulb:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#HarnessTypes

As noted:

Or use a test light or volt meter to determine how the headlight socket is wired.
* On a switched-ground system, you will find the common pin in the headlight connector will have constant 12V power supplied to it and then one of the high- or low-beam terminals will go to ground when it is on.
* Switched power systems will usually have the common terminal tied directly to ground and one or the other terminals will go to 12V when the light is turned on.
* For a simple test, take a volt meter and plug the BLACK (-) probe into the COMMON terminal, then plug the RED (+) probe into the LOW beam terminal. With the meter on a 20 volt DC range, measure the voltage.
o If the meter reads -12V or so, then you have switched ground, i.e. the reading is negative, since you have the "-" probe on the battery side and the "+" probe on the ground side.
o If the meter reads +12V or so, then you have a switched power system.
o Under high beam operation, you can sometimes get confusing voltage readings, since often voltage is fed back from the high beam side to the low beam side to illuminate the high beam indicator light on the dash.
o If you have daytime running lights (DRL) you probably have a switched power system. The DRL relay and limiting resistor will be in the ground side of the headlight circuit. If you want to retain DRL function (with the dimmed daytime low beams), you'll need to connect the new harness common/ground connection to the old harness common/ground connection. Otherwise, connect the new harness common connection to ground and you'll either have full brightness DRLs or if you have disabled that feature, then you'll have normal lights.
Or just get the switched ground harness and if needed, one jumper wire can convert it to switched power operation if you find the low beams do not work:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...s.shtml#SGtoSP

Any recomendations for regular bulbs for our other trucks?
I like the 55/100W H4 halogen bulbs. Nice (legal) low beam and really bright high beam.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 01-06-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been running Hella H4 headlights on my truck almost as long as I've had it (since '91). I use PIAA extreme white H4 lamps (slight blue tint), and I've been very satisfied with the combination.

Last edited by breknraj; 01-07-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:25 PM
Contributing Member

Keep em commin guys!

Unfortunatly I have run VERY low on funds, so the lights won't be happening for another 1-3 months
Old 01-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Contributing Member

One option worth considering is to install a relay harness first. You might be more than happy with the increased light output with the lights you have now. That is all I did on my daily driver and I decided it was not worth upgrading the headlights with the increase in light output I saw from just the harness alone:
- http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/Cheap....shtml#Results

Before doing this, make a simple voltage test at the back of the headlight connector to see if low voltage is in part resonsible for your low light output (costs nothing if you can get ahold of a volt meter):

If you see a voltage about like what I saw above, you can expect to about double the light output of the existing lamps with full battery voltage applied to the bulbs (as will happen with a relay harness).

Last edited by 4Crawler; 01-07-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just order a good pair of clear houseing and stick the Hella 120W cool blue bulbs in. that what i have done and they turned out amazing! and you dont need any more wires. so they have a blue effect but are bright as well. either way, good luck.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Belize Off Road Team
just order a good pair of clear houseing and stick the Hella 120W cool blue bulbs in. that what i have done and they turned out amazing! and you dont need any more wires. so they have a blue effect but are bright as well. either way, good luck.
Yes, if you are getting good voltage to your existing headlights, then this is a good option. But if you are not, then you can throw the best lights in the world in there and you will not see the full benefit. Sort of like putting a bigger engine in your vehicle and not upgrading the fuel lines and fuel pump to supply more fuel. It may run, but you probably will not see all the power that bigger engine can provide.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your right 4Crawler. and my voltage is exellent, cause i have been running these 120W Hella bulbs for awhile now and they produce more light than my Hella H3 Black Magic Rallye 1000. and produce way more light than any sealed beam i have seen or used before.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

Hmm, thanks for the info Belize. When I get a chance ( and can borrow a volt meter) I will check out what volts im getting at the lights. Then I can go from there. But like I said, I can't even afford to buy the harness right now.
My money has been already put away for another mod and so on.

But keep the posts comming!