General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Why couldn't Toyota ever get it right? (rust)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 12:04 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
And you know the truck you saw with rust and based your opinions on wasn't previously owned out of state PRIOR to you viewing by?
Old 03-30-2010, 12:09 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Originally Posted by Matt16
(yeah, I know they were made by Dana, but presumably, the metal is Toyota spec)
Originally Posted by Matt16
Sure, apples to apples(ie: Toyota to Toyota),

As I've repeated, why are Toys more susceptible to rust?

Don't you wish it was that simple...

In Japan, Toyota can build a vehicle any way they want.

When they hand it over to a sub contractor in the US, the US facility has to go by another set of rules... ISC or some crap like that... I forgot and it'll take me too long to find it.

There is no Toyota to Toyota... And metal is not metal...
Old 03-30-2010, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 1999 4runner donsn't have body rust here in Wisconsin. However, the undercarriage is very rusty. So it looks good but all the stuff underneath is very rusty. In particular the nuts and bolts just melt when exposed to salt.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Flash412
Um, NO. Toyota is ISO certified and uses ISO certified suppliers. ISO certified suppliers have been certified by the International Organization for Standardization to follow defined quality procedures. Toyota does business with these suppliers on the assumption that they DO qualify for their ISO certification and DO follow their defined and audited (by a third party) ISO processes. Toyota does this so that they do NOT have to QC and inspect all the incoming parts. That is how ISO works.

In the end, however, you are correct that Toyota has a responsibility to the consumer that bad parts do not get into their vehicles. Toyota is going above and beyond with their buy-back and repair programs. You can bet your ass that when this sad event is finally finished (in court), it is the supplier of the defective parts who will bear the cost of the entire ordeal.

Back when I was employed, I was involved in detective work finding the source of a problem. It turned out that a supplier of ours had one employee working one of three shifts who was not following a certain procedure. As a result, more than a hundred thousand units of a certain product had to be recalled. A small percentage actually required rework. The ISO certified supplier for which the employee worked did not even bother to fight the request for $29 million, IIRC, to cover the costs of the recall and rework.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:21 PM

man ......
Old 03-30-2010, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by dyldopolis
I dont know of hardley any Toyotas around here that have rust. a friend of mine has 3. an 83 truck, and 86 truck, and an 88 Tercel. none of them have a spot of rust on them. also, the metal thickness is great. the bodies of Toyotas are way stronger than any ford or chevy I've ever seen. the only reason they appear to be rustier or weaker is because they are usually driven way harder for a lot longer.

toyotas have the flimsyist sheet metal i have ever seen. you can dent it by pushing against it with your finger. i still dont understand how a 96 f150 weighs a little bit less than a 93 yota and the fords metal is much thicker and heavier
Old 03-31-2010, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by gary96360
toyotas have the flimsyist sheet metal i have ever seen. you can dent it by pushing against it with your finger. i still dont understand how a 96 f150 weighs a little bit less than a 93 yota and the fords metal is much thicker and heavier
i got in a wreck in an 86 yota. a lady ran strait into the bed at over 30-40 mph, and it put about a one inch deep, 6 inch diameter dent. thats pretty strong metal. also, check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9iu2Gou8kM

and this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql2PH...eature=related
Old 03-31-2010, 05:36 PM

the main reason 79-88 toyota beds rust is because of the two piece design, water dirt and salt get between the two and the cancer begins, as for the frames, toyota has a boxed in frame which makes getting the mud and salt out very difficult which causes them to rust from the inside out, most american trucks have an open frame which is easy to clean.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:02 PM

enough with the Top Gear vids!

Originally Posted by 85-in-va
the main reason 79-88 toyota beds rust is because of the two piece design, water dirt and salt get between the two and the cancer begins, as for the frames, toyota has a boxed in frame which makes getting the mud and salt out very difficult which causes them to rust from the inside out, most american trucks have an open frame which is easy to clean.

EXACTLY! The caulk they used is not metal... And guess what happens when the non metal material falls away?
Old 04-08-2010, 05:34 PM

originaly to cut down costs toyota and some other aisain manufacturers would buy old scrap american steel in the form of pressed junkyard cubes. some of wich had rust in them.
tyota tried but could not remove all the rust impuritys during smelting.

hence the rustcancer was born into certain toyotas and like some genetic defects sometimes it just takes the right enviroment for the defect to show/or stay in remission.
i.e living in arizona ain't the same as living in maine when it comes to climate

keep in mind this is just my .02 bits

and its specificaly referring to 60s-75 years, lancruisers had this the worst.

Last edited by jerads_toy; 04-08-2010 at 05:37 PM.