General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Por-15

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Por-15

I know this topic has been posted many a time, but how exactly do you apply this stuff. I've read around and haven't really seen any ways that people have applied it. I have a good amount of rust on my underbody, but what exactly can I apply it to and what can I not apply it to. One of my buddy's said that you can't apply Por-15 to your catalytic converter and exhaust pipes, but everything else was fair game. I know alot of you guys now your ลลลล top notch, so I wanted to know what exactly you can coat with por-15 and what you can't coat with it, from one of you guys who have actually used it. I appreciate all the help from yall. Thanks again and Semper Fi.

Deuce
Old 03-18-2006, 08:22 PM
Contributing Member

It can be brushed on and works very well. I recommend using a good quality brush.

Heres some info on their site...
http://www.por15.com/SUPPORT/POR15FA...8/Default.aspx
http://www.por15.com/SUPPORT/POR15FA...9/Default.aspx
Old 03-19-2006, 12:52 AM
Contributing Member

BTW, I've used it myself and saw the results after my brother applied it to ALL his armor (custom F/R bumpers and rock sliders). 1 pint will cover a huge amount of metal and it comes out looking exteremly nice. After the POR-15, you can either spray paint it (WalMart) or brush on the some "Chassis Coat Black" (POR-15) paint like my bro did.
http://www.por15.com/PRODUCTS/PRIMER...3/Default.aspx

4Crawler.com uses the same combo to "spray paint" his sliderz but IMO brushing it yourself actually looks better (as i learned the hard way). I'm 100% sold on it and from now on i'll be using it for dang near everything...with a brush.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
POR-15 has a catalogue. I believe they do offer a special paint for metals that will be exposed to high heat. Their catalogue has lots more products than just the paint sytem.

But if you're just talking about the paint system there are well, 3-4 steps with one preperation step as well.

The prep step is to stand/wire brush the area if has lots of scaled rust, as well as wash it clean.

Step 1 is to use their marine clean degreaser on the area, then rinse off (read the instructions precisely - if you follow them, this stuff works excellent).

Step 2, you "etch" the metal with the metal ready solution. You then rinse this off and let it dry.

Step 3 is you appy the POR-15 paint itself. This stuff can not be exposed to UV light so if you paint it in an area that will be exposed directly to uv light, you will need to proceed to step 4. Oh, and a few other notes - IF you get this stuff on your skin or anywhere else, wash it off right away. On skin it takes like 2 weeks to get off, and well, on other things, like my driveway where I used it to treat my front fender lips last year, i still have POR-15 paint drops that have dried there. I believe it takes about 8 hours if I recall correctly to dry but I'd just leave it overnight to be sure.

Step 4 is if your POR-15 painted area will be in UV sunlight, you need to top coat it. You can purchase the entire system that is required to do all these steps through the POR-15 catalogue via online or phoning your order in.

This stuff, so far on my truck, has held up extremely well. The important thing is to make sure you follow the instructions precisely.

And to re-inforce what rocket said, and even the guy on the phone from POR-15 whom I ordered said this, it brushes on as well as you would spray it on. It doesn't dry with brush streaks is what I'm saying, like you would see with other kinds of paint.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:23 AM
Contributing Member

Another tip, if you do decide to buy some, google 'classic broncos forum por-15' first. There a discount coupon floating around on that forum that you can use when ordering on-line. I think it's for por-depot or something like that.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:15 AM

Hey I appreciate everyone's responses, and I ordered some. I got the Marine Degreaser, the Metal ready, and the Por-15, so that I could do the 3-step method right down to the T. This seems like its going to be a good DIY project, so I'm looking forward to it. Thanks again for everyones help.

Deuce