Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

sould I upgrade to a IFS rear end and spacers on the front

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sould I upgrade to a IFS rear end and spacers on the front

I have a 85 toyota pickup. it has a 4" lift and 33x9.5x15 bfg aon 7" wide wheels(with a unknown offset(the tires are about 1/32" away from the tie rod end boot)). It is a daily driver/weekend warrior.

I am wanting to upgrade the brakes. I also wouldent mind having a little wider stance. I was wondering it I put a IFS rear end with the bigger brakes (13" vs the SA 11") and did the V-6 front calipers/rotors and 1.5" spacers. would I regrete it becouse of the strange handling with the spacers in the front.

or would I be better off just putting the ifs rear brakes on my SA rear end and v-6 rotors/calipers without the spacers in the front?

What do you think?
Old 08-23-2010, 07:29 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
why would it have strange handling?
i doubt youd notice it, it'd be like driving the same truck but with rims that have a different offset..
Old 08-23-2010, 07:41 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
You won't fit the bigger brakes without wheel spacers.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is absolutely no way to put an IFS on the rear end. That would make it IRS, and you don't want to have anything to do with that.

Ok, on a serious note, use that money to buy some new wheels and tires. Get some wheels with less backspacing and some wider tires. I don't think the v6 brakes are necessary in the front because you really aren't going huge with the tires; however, better brakes in the rear would be nice. I'd just stick some 32X11.50s on there to widen the stance a little and be done with it.

Last edited by Guyechka; 08-23-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:47 PM

Well with the wider axles he can have a wider stance at a relatively low cost..
plus a larger flex arc.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by peow130
Well with the wider axles he can have a wider stance at a relatively low cost..
plus a larger flex arc.
True, but the simplest fix would just be to find some wheels with 3.5" backspace and throw some wider tires on there. He could gain between two and three inches per side depending on what backspacing he has now. That's what I did because I was afraid of spacers, and it sounds like that was what he was planning on maybe doing.

You could even go with 33 X 12.50 with enough backspace. I just said 32" because it's going to be heavier and harder to push a wider tire.

Last edited by Guyechka; 08-23-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:34 PM

True, but the IFS axle housing is actually a bigger housing, too.
You can visually tell that it's bigger.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by peow130
True, but the IFS axle housing is actually a bigger housing, too.
You can visually tell that it's bigger.
Look, I think what it comes down to is that the front won't match the rear and he'll need spacers, and he doesn't like the idea of using them. That's what I read as his concern with handling. Personally, I wouldn't be afraid of bolt on spacers, but the wider tires option obviates the need for spacers altogether and should improve the handling. 9.50s are pretty skinny tires especially with a 4" lift. Whichever way, I think he needs to gain some width.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
the ifs rear end is like 3'' wider over all my freinds 85 with 12.5 wide tires on 10'' wheels looks pretty good with no spacers up front
Old 08-24-2010, 10:25 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I take it from your post, you used IFS brakes and IFS hubs, b/c I've never heard of anyone using IFS rotors and calipers on a SA truck...

IFS hubs are a poor mans 1.5" pers side spacer, IIRC.

You could have just used FJ60 rotors, IFS calipers and kept your hubs.

This would mean the same exact wheel track as stock.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dana 44s???

or even dana 60s???

or maybe, jsut maybe, 2.5ton Rockwells???

but on a serious note, jsut put the IFS rear in there, and run wheel spacers??? otns of guys that SAS do it. or just do the IFS hubs or what ever it is to match the front, and wheel spacers all the way around. that would be a pretty wide stance
Old 08-24-2010, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by yoder519

or maybe, jsut maybe, 2.5ton Rockwells???

I like the way you think. With 6.27 gears I'm sure a 22r could push 54" tires.

(Sadly, I do keep waiting for the day that someone tries something like that and posts their wonderful new build.)
Old 08-24-2010, 04:24 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
did someone say toyota on rockwells?

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 08-24-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:56 PM

I want to keep the 33x9.5x15 tires. I live in the pacific northwest and have to drive in compact snow and Ice every winter so wider tires are out of the question. I have a vortec 4.3 V-6 and a 4L60-E tranny so power it not a problem. But stopping is!

I want to upgrade brakes and I think I want to widen the stance, but only if it will not hurt my handling.

I want to upgrade brakes, so I am looking at the different options. It seams like the easies option for the back is to get a IFS rear axel. If I do this I will have to widen the front also(spacers or IFS hubs(I will have to research the IFS hubs, I have never heard of this before)). I am not completely aposed to this, but I have conserns of handling problems.
The poor handling comes from the greater offset. (on most vehicals it is not noticable, but some vehicals it is very noticable) I have never used spacers on a S.A. toyota before so I dont know if it will affect the handling on them or not. The offset changes the geometery of the steering. Not a lot, but a little..

If you cant picture the geometery change, imagine a 3 foot wheel spacer(I know it sounds stupid but it will get the idea in your mind). When you turn right the right tire will turn right and move back, The left tire will turn right and move farward. When cornering and you hit a bump this can make the steering to become uncontrolable. Also when you brake hard this will couse the tires to want to turn out. This puts a lot of stress on the steering components.

I know 1.5" spacers should not make a huge difference but, I would be very suprised if it was not noticable. expecialy when I am driving at freeways speeds for 6-8 hours at a time.

So, IFS rear brakes on the narrow rear axel vs. IFS rear end and wheel spacers on the front?

If people think I will have handling problems them I want to upgrade the brakes without widening the track. So, could I put the rear brakes from the IFS rear end on the S.A. rear end???
Old 08-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Anything you change is going to be noticeable.

Your rear brakes are irrlevant as 90% of your braking comes from the front anyway.

The rear IFS axle is for a wider track, the rear drum brakes are a wash.

Your front V6 calipers are not going to fit without adding the vented rotors and won't clear your rims without wheel spacers. They also are not going to stop near as well without upgrading your MC and/or brake booster.

It's a solid axle truck, it rides like crap comparatively to most new vehicles anyway.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:40 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
oh, ok. I get it now... You're not saying what you've done, you're saying what you want done.

No, no ill handling here (ex no weight on the rear b/c of a flatbed) with a stock 84 truck, but with an IFS rear.

And it's my understanding, some rims will fit with IFS calipers. Some will, some won't. Not all IFS caliper conversions need spacers...

I haven't tried this, but if a IFS caliper will fit over the single rotor, I don't see why you can't mock it up and mount a wheel and see if it spins ok...

If it does... IFS calipers, FJ60 rotors, and you're golden... Spacers will not be required.

Marlin: " Please note: depending on your wheel type, wheel spacers may be required to clear these larger calipers."

Now, you want to add 1.5" to each side? Be my guest.

Remove your hubs and races, and intall the races from the new IFS hubs, or all new bearings and races... Then bolt the hub on the spindle.

IFS hubs move the WMS out 1.5", that's all. All bolt on.

BUT, you will have to bolt the caliper on THE OTHER SIDE of the bosses. This can and will make removing the caliper a PAIN in the you know what, since unless you tap the calipers, you have to run a bolt through them. And it has to be torqued...

a.d.d break...

Upon further notice, below is a Tacoma rotor on a machined down IFS hub.

This has TREMENDOUS benefits. If you drill out the caliper bosses, and tap the caliper, you can remove the caliper then slip the rotor off the hub, exposing the spindle bolts. Remove these and you're on your way to a FAST Birfield replacement.

You could also remove the spindle with the caliper on, using only a boxed end wrench, but IMO torquing it back will come nowhere near close.

Pressed on rotors:

Originally Posted by pappy
For a birfield repair in the field ... remove the wiper retainers on the back of the knuckle (8 bolts) ... remove the steering arm nuts/washers/cone washers (4 each), and the steering arm ... loosen the lower cap nuts, but don't remove ... pull off knuckle assembly. You don't need to tear the whole knuckle down to get to the birfield.

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 08-24-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:49 PM

ok, 4cyl or V6 calipers... The V6 has two big pistons, the 4, one big one small.

So, the V6 uses more fluid....

Problem: Stock, smallish bore master cylinder wasn't intended to flow a huge flow. So using V6 calipers, it's been reported you might get a squishy pedal.

Solution: Use a bigger bore master cylinder...

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 08-24-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by tried4x2signN
oh, ok. I get it now... You're not saying what you've done, you're saying what you want done.

No, no ill handling here (ex no weight on the rear b/c of a flatbed) with a stock 84 truck, but with an IFS rear.

And it's my understanding, some rims will fit with IFS calipers. Some will, some won't. Not all IFS caliper conversions need spacers...

I haven't tried this, but if a IFS caliper will fit over the single rotor, I don't see why you can't mock it up and mount a wheel and see if it spins ok...

If it does... IFS calipers, FJ60 rotors, and you're golden... Spacers will not be required.

Marlin: " Please note: depending on your wheel type, wheel spacers may be required to clear these larger calipers."

Now, you want to add 1.5" to each side? Be my guest.

Remove your hubs and races, and intall the races from the new IFS hubs, or all new bearings and races... Then bolt the hub on the spindle.

IFS hubs move the WMS out 1.5", that's all. All bolt on.

BUT, you will have to bolt the caliper on THE OTHER SIDE of the bosses. This can and will make removing the caliper a PAIN in the you know what, since unless you tap the calipers, you have to run a bolt through them. And it has to be torqued...

a.d.d break...

Upon further notice, below is a Tacoma rotor on a machined down IFS hub.

This has TREMENDOUS benefits. If you drill out the caliper bosses, and tap the caliper, you can remove the caliper then slip the rotor off the hub, exposing the spindle bolts. Remove these and you're on your way to a FAST Birfield replacement.

You could also remove the spindle with the caliper on, using only a boxed end wrench, but IMO torquing it back will come nowhere near close.

Pressed on rotors:

This is really cool. Does anyone have a link to detailed instructions