Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Replacing ADD drive flanges with Manuals hubs

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing ADD drive flanges with Manuals hubs

Well another new guy here!! So i have a 95 4runner with a 2 inch lift. having problems with the cv boots. The more i read the more i think that putting manual hubs on might be a good Idea?? SO i read alot about AISIN hubs, but having a hard time finding where to purchase. So anyone have good places to go? Also i read that WARN hubs are junk. they seem to be easier to find and cheaper to purchase. Anyone have thoughts on the Warn hubs? Are they worth using. Having the cv boots and axles replaced tomorrow so want to make them last. Thanks
Old 02-15-2011, 08:07 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Craiglist. Tons on trucks being parted out here in wa. Im sure some people would be willing to ship.

Or someone on here will see this ad and sell you some.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:52 PM

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts
I think Kiyobrown has a set of Warn Hubs laying around for sale... Basically brand new.

I have heard of a few people that dont have an issue with their warns. But OEM is the way to go.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i've never heard of any issues with the Warns, but when you can get a set of OEM's for the same price or cheaper (from a junkyard or part-out) then why not get em?

you can rebuild the OEM's very easily too
Old 02-15-2011, 11:32 PM

Hey I just did the switch to the manual AISIN's and believe it or not I think I can feel a power gain at takeoff. I know this is probably crazy talk but it does feel like it's not having to turn those gears at all. By the way it was easy as pie to swap them out, and I got them from Ebay for like $80 shipped so Just Do It!!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:39 AM

I had Mile Marker ones and they are horrible. I got them from JC Whitney so I returned them. I switched to Aisin and they have never giving me a problem.

Ebay has plenty of them and check the Yotatech classifieds (I found mine here).
Old 02-16-2011, 11:12 AM

Thanks guys. Think i found some OEMs at yodajims here in denver. One more Question for you guys that have just done this. Do i have to do anything with the existing ADD system Some things i have read say you have to mess with the vacuum hoses and such. Or disable things. How does this work, or is it just a straight swap... Thanks again.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:46 AM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
If yours is stock you can leave it alone, the only thing you have to do differently is et out and lock the hubs. Some folks disable the ADD to get one more link of the chain out, less chance of it failing. But your wiring is there, the lights all work like they should? I say leave the ADD and just swap in the hubs.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:57 PM

Kiyobrown. Another question for you. If i leave the ADD all intact and just put on manual hubs, does that still stop the CV axels in the front from spinning all the time? I am assuming that it does as you take the ADD hubs out. Sorry for all the questions.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:48 AM

Yes it stops the CV axles from turning all the time.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:35 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

For what it is worth I have had much better luck with Warn Hubs then the Aisin Hubs

I have no idea why people have such a strong dislike for them.

Then again I have never heard why people like the Aisin hubs so well.

Then again with most new auto parts coming from China I do spend a lot more time in the Toyota Parts department
Old 02-19-2011, 07:24 AM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Looks like Alberta got you your answer. He's right. If you just swap out the manuals and leave the add alone it'll work just fine. Run it that way. Then if you ever have problems with add, then worry about bypassing it.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
For what it is worth I have had much better luck with Warn Hubs then the Aisin Hubs

I have no idea why people have such a strong dislike for them.

Then again I have never heard why people like the Aisin hubs so well.

Then again with most new auto parts coming from China I do spend a lot more time in the Toyota Parts department
The main issue with the Warn hubs is they do not use cone washers. Some folks may like not having to fight those getting the hubs off, the lock washers they use are prone to loosening up in use, unlike the cone washers, which get tighter and tighter as the load increases. But if you have a setup that stays tight, then the Warns are OK. We had one guy in my club that carried a wrench in his back pocket and got in the habit of snugging up all 12 nuts on his Warns ever time we stopped on the trail. He had something like 3-4 times where the hubs loosened to the point of shearing off studs.

Other minor issue is that the Warn hubs stick out farther than the Aisins, so if you run narrower wheels/tires, you might have the hubs sticking out past the wheel. I know on my '85 (w/ stock 6" rims) that I once slightly damaged an Aisin hub locking dial on the trail (still worked but was cracked) and I would guess a Warn hub might have taken a much harder hit in that same spot.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:59 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jgraham
Thanks guys. Think i found some OEMs at yodajims here in denver. One more Question for you guys that have just done this. Do i have to do anything with the existing ADD system Some things i have read say you have to mess with the vacuum hoses and such. Or disable things. How does this work, or is it just a straight swap... Thanks again.

Ok, the ADD system has no hubs. And the only time I've ever heard of a (ADD) switch type failure is with axles that have been fiddled with by ppl that have no idea what they're doing...

OEM and never gone into, I've never heard of a up and just fail.

Yes diaphragms blow and yes relays can can just up and quit.

But that's about the most I've ever heard.

The biggest key ppl are leaving out with the "JUST LEAVE THE ADD ALONE" method is retaining your shift on the fly.

When you leave the system intact, you still have the freedom to use it.

i.e lock the hubs in the winter or foul weather, and unlock them for DD or extended road use.

Disable it, and you might be adding another failure point.

Once again, Toyota ADD systems as far as I know are not "known" or "common" to fail.