Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Rear Driveline Leakage!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 03:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Rear Driveline Leakage!

Hello everyone (again)

I did some searching, but I can't seem to find the part I should be looking for. The Closest thing I could find was something called the 'companion flange'... but I'm sure someone's seen this before.

Description:

Bought the Truck (A 94' 22RE 4x4 5spd) w/ 132K, it's JUST hit 136 today, and since I've bought it it's had this issue. Somehow, it's throwing 90W (?) Gear Oil out of the rear of the transmission onto the underside of the truck.

It hits PERFECTLY on the Catalytic Converter, and therein cooks up real smelly... this is how I discovered the issue. So.... naturally, Being that It's been a little while, I want to both fill the Transmission (W56, I believe) with some new oil, and plug the bugger once and for all...

Problem:

I'm trying to see if, before I pull the driveline and see it close up, is someone else has seen/experienced this and knows something about its' cause.

I'll post pics as I get into it come next week, but since I'm stuck inside with the rain outside today, I'd figured y'all might know something.

Here's the pics:

^^^ thats from under driverside door, looking at back of Tranny on left.

^^^that's passengerside, same shot.

^^^Low on passenger side, overview. (note how grease is only in one line, flying from the yoke/u-joints (sic) of the rear prop shaft!)

So, Any Wizards out there want to take a shot at it?
Old 03-01-2012, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 03-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Could be leaking around the splines of the transfer case output (companion) flange. Similar repair to the pinion seal:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...eal/index.html

Just be sure and apply some RTV sealant to the splines on the shaft before sliding the flange back on (after replacing the seal). Tighten, stake the nut and call it good.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Could be leaking around the splines of the transfer case output (companion) flange.
That seems very plausable, 4Crawler. I'd done research on this about 1 year ago, and the Yotatech link I bookmarked 404'd on me... I think this is the article I found.

So, i hate to pry (pun intended) but what more would be required besides the write-up you put up to get at the companion flange? Or, would that RTV on the Splines seal it up?

Originally Posted by 93Xtra-Cab
93, I'd so do that... but I can't bring myself to do these kind of fixes.. They sit in the back of my head and rot my conscience out!

I'm that guy with the folder of all the mileages, the cost of every part I've ever bought, a master upgrade list, and the like.... I think I'm just to OCD.

Last edited by dropzone; 03-01-2012 at 06:23 PM. Reason: merge quotes
Old 03-01-2012, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 03-01-2012, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by _RaStA_RoCkEt_
That seems very plausable, 4Crawler. I'd done research on this about 1 year ago, and the Yotatech link I bookmarked 404'd on me... I think this is the article I found.

So, i hate to pry (pun intended) but what more would be required besides the write-up you put up to get at the companion flange? Or, would that RTV on the Splines seal it up?
If that is where it is leaking, that may do the truck. Unstake the nut, crank it off, pull the flange, clean the splines and then while there, might want to use a new seal and nut (from Toyota), although I have re-used both before. I learned the RTV on the spline trick from Marlin when I pulled the flange off my Marlin-built t-case. Seal keeps gear oil from leaking out around the outside of the flange, but there is nothing to stop gear oil leaking out between the splines on the shaft. So if oil is coming out the center of the flange, that is where it is coming from.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 93Xtra-Cab