Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Pre run help

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pre run help

If this is the wrong section im sorry. Im still tryin to navigate properly in this forum.
Anyway... after reading posts upon posts and different related threads, Ive come to the conclusion Id like to build a pre runner. Sadly Im only used to building ricers so when it comes to pre running I have no clue where to start. I can do most my own work and have family that can weld. Im starting with an 88 2wd 5 spd. Could anyone throw me a priority list of what to do in order of importance. Money isnt an issue. but im not tryin to be the first guy to do some special build so please dont post anything that needs my firewall banged out or front clipped. Thanks in advance guys if u have time to respond to this.
And again if I posted this in the wrong section please PM me and ill fix, or have ill have an admin place it in the right section.
BUMPS for my yota bros.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The first thing you need to decide on is what size tires you want, and once you decide on that then you will need a lift so you can fit the tires. The rear springs on a two wheel drive truck are under the axle, so if you move the springs on top of the axle that will give you about 3'' of lift, and you can use ball joint spacers in the front to lift it. If you do at least a 3'' lift then you can add high steer and a second gen steering box for better steering. Then after that you can buy prerunner fenders for the front and rear to complete the look.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:22 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Go to total chaos. They will have everything you need for the front long travel. And don't listen to the post above. It made no sense to me either

Old 01-25-2011, 11:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by scuba
Go to total chaos. They will have everything you need for the front long travel. And don't listen to the post above. It made no sense to me either

What i said made perfect sense. Total Chaos has some nice stuff if you have several thousand dollars to spend for there parts. You can build a prerunner for a lot less than that especially if your doing the work your self.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:45 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by myyota
What i said made perfect sense. Total Chaos has some nice stuff if you have several thousand dollars to spend for there parts. You can build a prerunner for a lot less than that especially if your doing the work your self.
No. No it doesn't.

Why?

The first thing you need to decide on is what size tires you want, and once you decide on that then you will need a lift so you can fit the tires.
Lifting a truck doesn't make room for larger tires. It just postpones the inevitable tire rub. A body lift would solve that, but that's retarded on a go fast truck.

The rear springs on a two wheel drive truck are under the axle, so if you move the springs on top of the axle that will give you about 3'' of lift.
No clue why anyone who wants to prerun would want a spring over rear end. Spring under is a pre runners biggest friend. More arch in the spring = more travel.

you can use ball joint spacers in the front to lift it. If you do at least a 3'' lift then you can add high steer and a second gen steering box for better steering.
Any long travel kit will already add lift. No need for ball joint spacers that will just add more stress to the spindle. And, high steer on an IFS truck?!?!

Then after that you can buy prerunner fenders for the front and rear to complete the look.
This is the only thing that made sense.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:01 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I'm with scuba on this one, stay with the spring under. Not sure what's available as far as lift springs on a spring under truck. I am more of a speed guy too and a big fan of the prerunner trucks, however, due to the lack of places to run those types of trucks in PA, well havent researched it all that much.

Blazeland also makes a long travel kit. Not sure if it would work out of the box on a 2wd truck, but... converting the front of a 2wd to a non axled 4wd "should" be relatively simple. Afterall most beefed up 2wd prerunners are pretty much a 4wd front IFS suspension without the front diff/cv's. Alot of them are converted 4wd trucks to begin with. The reason being that the front 4wd ifs suspension is stronger than the 2wd setup. Whether or not it's as simple as changing over to 4wd upper and lower control arms/steering knuckles I am not sure.

There was a thread on here quite awhile ago that I remember someone asking how to seal up the cv side of the steering knuckle.

Total Chaos is $$$$$ but it's the best out there and is a must if you plan on competing. This is not to take away from the blazeland kit though as I know he competes on his as well.

Another place to check out is dezertrangers.com. Primarily a prerunner crowd. But bring your ideas from there over here if you get any. Not too many of us are into prerunners.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
nah blazeland only makes a 4wd kit lol but on the subject somebody on here is selling his basic kit for $650 with nitro 8000 shicks
Old 01-26-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by yoterr
nah blazeland only makes a 4wd kit lol but on the subject somebody on here is selling his basic kit for $650 with nitro 8000 shicks
see later comment further on about converting 2wd front sus to 4wd front sus.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ahhhh...didint see that one lol i thought it was completely different? i dunno havnt looked at a 2wd toy up close...
Old 01-26-2011, 05:42 PM

I don't know either, just throwing that out there for him to research for himself. I need to brush up on my prerunner stuff. Too many rocks in the head I guess. hahaha.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:10 PM

Hey thanks guys so much, ive been reading on other sites and man this world is alot different lol. At first i was like sus??? wth does SUS mean lol... anyway now i get it from what ive been reading. thanks again and once i can get started on my build ill make sure to post my progress. Thanks again for ur responses!
Old 02-20-2011, 11:35 PM

any progress?
Old 02-21-2011, 01:52 AM

I'm sure you've already started, but I'll through my two cents out there. I have one of the total chaos kits on my truck and love it. It's not the top kit, I retained the use of my 4wd, but I would like to build one up with their full on kit that deletes the 4wd and allows the use of 35" tires, this is the route I would go if I was you.