Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Not Starting! distributor or module??

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not Starting! distributor or module??

Helllo all, lovin this site, lots of good info and knowledgeable people.

I'm new to the Toyota world with my 1987 mini-motorhome with a 22RE engine. It ran great then all the sudden stalled as if I turned the key off. checked fuses etc. and replaced plugs and wires the next day, it started once and I let it run for a bit, later that day it wouldnt start. tried starting fliud, nothing.

Today I replaced the cap and rotor, nothin. Coil, nothin. So that leaves me with.... distributor and ignition module?? I am new to ignition systems as well, so any help will be appreciated. Which of these things usually go? how can I test for which one it is? I have DMM, I just dont know where to use it, THANKS A TON!

Eric
Old 12-30-2008, 11:06 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Search online for a Factory Service Manual. They are available as a download for free. It details how to test all that stuff. Beyond just checking for spark, you need to make sure you're getting fuel. After that make sure you have compression. You didn't overheat or anything, did you? If it's not a larger problem like a head gasket or something, then it's either fuel or spark. A distributer is cheaper if you plan to just keep replacing things without testing. Ignitor is pricey...ask me how I know..
I guess check to make sure your air filter isn't completely plugged up, too.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:11 AM

using the starting fluid pretty well limits to a spark problem, although I havent actually looked for a spark. the air filter is fine, it didnt overheat or anything, I only moved it 50 feet. I will definitely search for the manual, so youve replaced the ignitor I take it? I have a feeling thats the problem...
Old 12-30-2008, 11:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
pull a plug wire and hold it close to the engine block (about 1/8" away) and have someone turn the key to start. if you get spark, it's likely not the ignition. if you don't, pull the distributor cap off and have someone crank it and make sure the rotor is turning. if it's not, you're timing chain may have snapped.
also, there are fuses under the hood, next to the battery, and under the dash on the driver's side so double check.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:17 PM

ok thanks so much for the reply. now I need someone to turn the key for me! I'll post what I find. any other tips/comments appreciated thanks!

Eric
Old 12-30-2008, 01:20 PM

ok, so I'll check the spark on the wire to a cylinder, then can I check the wire from the coil to the cap? then I'll check to see if the rotor is spinning.

oh and I cant find the service manual, anyone have a link to it? I ordered the Chiltons manual but it wont be here for a few days.

abecedarian, I was just reading that site about the inconvenient truth, pretty crazy stuff. He definitely played the whole thing way up.

Last edited by dawinksta; 12-30-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MY TRUCK DID THIS.. it was ignitioncoil/ignitor!
Old 12-30-2008, 01:51 PM

Yeah mine started right up one day as usual, ran for 5 seconds then died & wouldn't start back up. I replaced the coil, distributer then finally the ignitor. I went with a Napa ignitor (which I was happy to find was a geniune Toyota part when I opened the box), and it set me back a bit over $300. IF you buy one, make damn sure that that's what's wrong, becuase if you plug it in or bolt it up, it's yours. They will not take it back unless you can cover up the fact that you installed it. Easy to do with the plug, not so easy if you bolted it.

So...between distributer and ignitor. If you've got a little extra cash, you've come this far, why not replace the distributer first and see if that does it. If not, you've got the ignitor left and you have basically all new ignition stuff. If you're only into replacing what's gone out, after it's gone out, then test it all before buying. Not sure what a Toyota disty would cost but an aftermarket one is only around $100 or something. I like to use all Toyota parts, but sometimes I just can't afford it...and Napa either has stuff in stock or has it by the next morning, where Toyota sometimes has it two days later, sometimes longer. Sucks when you're talking about your only vehicle.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:24 PM

the rotor spins, I get spark out of the coil, and spark at each wire. and starting fluid isnt doing it. I tried jumping it for an extra electrical boost, nottin. What gives mate?!

loaded up the intake with TB cleaner and called it a night. whats my plan for tomorrow? I dont know. suggestions?
Old 12-30-2008, 03:22 PM

Could it still be the ignition module even though Im getting spark? And I've ruled out the distributor because the rotor is spinning right?
Old 12-30-2008, 03:49 PM

...fuel related? I had ignition problems and found a faulty signal generator....after replacing it, I drove it for a few weeks and was about 1/2 mile from home when it my truck started missing then died....ended up being my fuel pump.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:27 PM

lol great pic pineapple,

Oh wow, I'm a fool, I was just informed that the engine wouldnt start if I didnt put the intake tube back on after spraying starting fluid. So this now appears to be a fuel issue, because the starting fluid is getting it going a little bit. So fuel pump maybe?

help me think here: injectors, filter, pump, fuses, what else can I trouble shoot?
Thanks for the help so far everyone,

oh and im still looking for the shop manual online...

Eric

Last edited by dawinksta; 12-30-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
on the battery side of the engine bay, behind the battery is a fuse panel. on the side of that panel should be the diagnostic check connector. pop open the lid and put a jumper between the FP and B+ terminals- there should be a pic of the terminals on the underside of the lid. if not look here:

then try to start the engine.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:11 AM

I googled FSM Toyota. Not too hard...

http://www.ncttora.com/FSM/

It skips your actual year, but most stuff should be the same for 22RE engines.
I'd think with more searching you could find the actual one for '87. There's been a thread on the marlin crawler forum posting up all FSM links.