Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Help Identifying some electrical connectors.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help Identifying some electrical connectors.

So the 89 pickup I bought recently was really well restored by the previous owner, however the wiring is a mess. I pulled out all the garbage "custom" audio wiring, the custom "security system" wiring and a bunch of other poorly implemented stuff (thank god they didn't really touch the engine wiring).

anyway there are 4 white connectors under the dash that I can't identify, I looked through the FSM for the 1993 model but couldn't find them anywhere... any help would be greatly appreciated.

^This single pin connector is in the driver's side kick panel just above the fuse box... no idea what it's supposed to connect to.

^the center console, I've determined that the blue connector is for the optional clock, but I have no idea what those two white connectors are supposed to go to they're the same exact shape too.

they're the same shape as the audio B connector on extended cab models but mine is a regular cab and has the single pin audio B connector which you can see in the next pic.

^also from the center console
The single pin blue connector is for the stereo light dimmer, the larger blue connector is for the stereo (I'm in the middle of repairing it in this pic), I have no idea what that two pin L shaped connector goes to though.

any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-06-2010, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is everything working they way it should? interior lights, door buzzers, seat belt warnings, cig lighter, etc? start by figuring out what doesn't work and then work backwards to figure out the connectors. the extra connectors could be just that, extra. some vehicles have the same wire harness for multiple trims and if your model doesn't have all the options then you might have extra plugs.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
you can download a wiring diagram with the Factory service manual in my sig
Old 06-06-2010, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by spokane.yota.man
is everything working they way it should? interior lights, door buzzers, seat belt warnings, cig lighter, etc? start by figuring out what doesn't work and then work backwards to figure out the connectors. the extra connectors could be just that, extra. some vehicles have the same wire harness for multiple trims and if your model doesn't have all the options then you might have extra plugs.
There are problems with the HVAC but the vehicle also used to have AC and had it removed by the previous owner. I went though that section of the FSM but everything that was in there was hooked up correct.

but beyond that, I'm also interested in knowing if the truck is wired for certain features that it might not have (like the optional clock), it'd be nice to know where those wires go and what they're used for.

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
you can download a wiring diagram with the Factory service manual in my sig
As I stated in the first post, I already went though the FSM and it doesn't have these connectors in them.... but I should also note that the FSM is for the 93 model year and it could be something different between the 89 and newer models.

Last edited by twistedsymphony; 06-06-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:50 AM

looking around a bit more....

the L shaped connector goes to the cigarette lighter, mine is missing which is why I didn't realize it...

The lower white connector in the 2nd pic is for the AC, it clips into the back of the HVAC controls and then the AC button slides into it, I didn't realize this until I pulled out the HVAC unit and took a look a the back panel.

----

I still haven't identified the single pin connector in the first pic, or the upper white connector in the 2nd pic. FWIW the upper white connector in the 2nd pic is branched off the same harness as the clock connector.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The pigtail in the first picture goes to your clutch switch. There should be a switch on your clutch pedal that this plugs into. The wiring off of that pigtail should run up under the dash. Now I'm not sure, but do you have a clutch override switch on the left of your dash by the light switch? It either runs there or over to your computer, not exactly sure. But I am 99% sure that connector goes to your clutch switch.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:15 PM

I've checked that the plug for the clutch switch is already hooked up... it's a 2-pin connector on mine.

the clutch cancel switch is hooked up as well, that's a 3 pin connector, both function properly too.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:59 AM

I think I've identified everything but the single pin connector in the first pic.

the upper white connector in the 2nd pic is for the rear defroster switch. which obviously the trucks don't have, it's not mentioned in the FSM however even the fusebox is wired for it one, just doesn't have a fuse in it.