03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

2003 4Runner lift and foglights...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2003 4Runner lift and foglights...

Hey guys,

Does anyone know of there is a lift kit for the 2003 4Runner to level out the front and rear. Also, does anyone know where I could get the factory foglights (kit) that comes on the 2003, since I didn't buy a color keyed 4Runner, it doesn't have foglights.

Thank you,

Yosmany
2003 SR5 4Runner v6
Old 07-08-2003, 09:37 PM
Contributing Member

a member on here..i forget his name...my apologies on that one..does have a prototype kit from a manufacturer on here. its a 2 inch lift all the way around. ive heard people say that kits will be out by the end of summer for the new runners..but..dont quote me on that one. not too sure about the fog lights ...you could always resort to going to the stealership hopefully someone else with more info about the lifts for the 4th gen. runner will chime in. welcome aboard "noob" (in the words of cebby )
Old 07-09-2003, 05:47 AM

a member on here..i forget his name...my apologies on that one..does have a prototype kit from a manufacturer on here. its a 2 inch lift all the way around.
Hey ! That's me ! Yos, do a search on "lift" in this forum and you will undoubtedly find some of my posts regarding the 4th Gen lift I have. There are some with pix also, so you will get a good idea of what it looks like.

The latest update is that Daystar contacted me a week ago to say that production was tooling up for the lift. So we may actually have something by the end of July ! Don't hold your breath on that one, tho...

Steve
Old 07-09-2003, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

Yup unfortunately, there are nothing in the shelves....

Daystar should be the first to have something for sale though
Their setup is simple and uses spacer technology

Other companies are working hard to get parts out soon.

Downey should have a full suspension (coilover system too) out on the shelves hopefully by August or September.

SAW is also working on their own coilover system and should be out shortly (about the same time as Downey).

Cornfed Suspension (Spacers) should have something but no definite date set at the time.

OME (ARB) should have something but I haven't heard back from them regarding when it'll be ready.

Fabtech... dunno didn't bother to call them.

As for the factory fog lights, best just go to the stealer and order it thru them or you can just add your own piaa or something on your own too!

good luck

Lance
Old 07-09-2003, 06:44 AM

fogs

When you order fogs don't you need to change your steering column switches (blinker switch)?
Old 07-09-2003, 07:14 AM

Talking

Thanks alot guys. I really appreciate all the info.

As for the the steering column blinker switch. I figured if Toyota sold it as an aftermarket add-on that they would probably make it so that it fit in to one of the empty switches like the ones in the center console or next to the trac button.

Is there a number that I could call to find out if Toyota will make it as a aftermarket kit, becasue I know that as of right now, they aren't making it.

Yosmany

Ohh P.S.

I know this is a little off topic but, I was looking online last night at the dual borla exhaust that they make for the v8, and saw that the part number for the v6 is exactly the same (Borla.com). Could anyone confirm that this exhaust is the same one for the v6 as it is for the v8.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

I can't confirm, but I would think the routing, hanger points and cat would be the same. I highly recommend the Borla dual exhaust. I saw two Tundra's at the dealer with this option, both straight pipe, mine is a dual side pipe.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Lefty
Hey ! That's me ! Yos, do a search on "lift" in this forum and you will undoubtedly find some of my posts regarding the 4th Gen lift I have. There are some with pix also, so you will get a good idea of what it looks like.

The latest update is that Daystar contacted me a week ago to say that production was tooling up for the lift. So we may actually have something by the end of July ! Don't hold your breath on that one, tho...

Steve
my apologies lefty. i could see your rig clear as day, just couldnt put a name to it. i could have searched..but.. hey, im lazy
Old 07-11-2003, 09:51 AM

Re: 2003 4Runner lift and foglights...

Originally posted by Yosmany
does anyone know where I could get the factory foglights (kit) that comes on the 2003
When I was getting the last service done, I asked about foglights. Toyota apparently does not offer them. Not sure if that means they won't offer them or that they just haven't done it yet.

If memory serves, the appearance package was port install, so the kits must exist somewhere. I haven't found them yet, and the dealership refuses to call the port to ask.

Let us know if you find them.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:29 PM
Contributing Member

4th Gen Goodies

Have any of you heard anything from TJM? When and/or if they'll be ready to market soon? my cladding is making me crazy

Thanks,

Doug
Old 07-11-2003, 04:53 PM
Contributing Member

Doug:

How can your cladding make ya crazy? it's painted nice and white!!!

you should see my cladding... it now has character! lol (just lots of love from good 'ol mother earth!)

nah no word yet.. same w/ arb. expect to see stuff from arb first though as the australian prado is the same spec as the 03 4runner
Old 07-12-2003, 04:48 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks Good Times. Yeah, the cladding is making me crazy. I can't imagine how ARB or TJM are going to make a bumper that tall. I'm hoping my approach and departure angle will increase a lot. Lift will help too. I am jealous of your runner. It actually gets to see the dirt. Its so wet here, you almost need a swamp buggy to leave any kind of road and I still have those Cheap a$$ Dunlops. :cry:
Old 07-18-2003, 11:21 AM

Update on the foglights question:

The service manager at the dealership called the distributor. There are no fog light kits available for the 2003 4Runner -- if yours didn't come with them, then you can't buy them as an accessory.

They also informed me that some early production models (mine is one of them) came without the prewiring needed to easily put a kit in.

So I called Toyota Customer Relations (800-331-4331 ext. 3). They confirmed the sitiuation. HOWEVER, they also said that they could put the request into their database, and if enough owners call in requesting fog lights as an accessory, they will probably make one....but they didn't say how many people that is.

Net is, if you don't have fog lights on your 2003 4Runner and want them, your best chance is to call Toyota and put in a request (owners of other 4Runners could also call and put in a request too, of course).
Old 07-22-2003, 08:47 PM
Contributing Member

thanx lance for the head's up. i am waiting on ome and saw, and i had not heard the possible august product release.

pockets? POCKETS? we don't need no steenking pockets! we have 4runner payments...
Old 07-23-2003, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

michael:

if you're waiting for OME's, good luck as those will take some time. Although the australian prado is now the same spec as the 4runner, OME will take some time to develop their kits unfortunately. So, don't expect to see those on the shelves anytime soon.

SAW, now that's a diff story. Word is that they already have a test vehicle to test their setup so I know we'll be seeing something soon.

Everyone is working hard to release their setup first so hopefully we'll see something by the end of the summer.....

lance
Old 07-25-2003, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

yeah, if that is the case, i will have to go w/a saw spring/shock setup (poor me). it will give me a chance to experiment w/their adjustable coilovers, assuming they offer adjustable initially. are you a fan of the spacer design? or coil/shock? anyone w/preference/experience want to weigh in on their setup?
Old 07-25-2003, 09:34 PM
Contributing Member

michael:

saw's are a coilover system so you should be able to adjust the height from 0 - 2.5". I'd say stay well below the 2.5" as raising it too high will cause some permanent damage to your CVs. I believe SAW's will also have some rear suspension stuff with it but I don't know the details at the moment.

Downey will also be sporting a coilover system as well. They will also have a rear setup but it will not be a coilover in the rear. It will be the good 'ol fashion shock and coil assembly.

I think the best way to approach the decision on what kind of lift you want is on what your plans are with your vehicle. If you are planning to ultimately add significant weight (i.e. - steel front and steel rear bumper) then you'll need to beef up your suspension. Just lifting it with the spacers will be futile. Ultimately, you'll have to upgrade to a coilover system in the front and some heavy duty rears.

I'm planning to do alot to this 4runner so I'm prepared to go all the way The coilover system for me is the ideal condition as when the steel bumpers become available, all i'll have to do is adjust the coilover higher so I can offset the weight of the front bumper. ofcourse the rear bumper will come too (after the front).

If I wasn't planning to do that I'd prob go with the spacer only because it's cheap!!!! and it's just as good.

Check out the thread by schaefer on the ultimate spacer setup. That thread is a good one to read up on as well

Lance
Old 07-26-2003, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

yeah, i keep hearing about constant velocity joint damage on these, i would imagine because of the ifs(?). i would like to get 35s under there, but if i *have* to, 33s will suffice. i, too, will be going all the way -- not a fan of half-ass. have not heard much about the downey system, something they have done previously? or is coilover new for them? i know they have had success w/their rear springs.

i will be getting a new winch bumper for the front -- am currently designing a custom one and am toying w/the idea of welding it myself and having it professionally powder-coated -- and so coilover seems the way to go.

on a separate note: i keep seeing the mod "rear diff. breather mod" -- what is this? benefits?
Old 07-27-2003, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

33's should be relatively easy to accomplish on our 4runners. the only problem I can see is that currently i rub at full lock on the passenger side turning right. (stock everything), so my concern will be that even with 33's i'll have to do some trimming (no problem).

35's is something I am tempted in doing but I know that will take some time. (to do this we'll ultimately need 2.5" suspension lift and alteast 2" of body lift (maybe even 3).)

Downey has done a great job making quality aftermarket parts for our toyotas. As for the coilover system ,it's relatively new for them but it's nothing new to the community. The design itself is basically the same. It's a bilstein shock with a sleeve that has the coilover attachment. (so essentially a beginners version of the SAW). Since I'm working with them on the prototype. I know that SAW's are out there doing their stuff as usual so expect those soon too. King shocks are the other coilover company that I'm pursuing right now (hopefully they'll have a set done soon as well).

rear diff breather mod is a simple mod done to the rear diff breather (hehe). somehow when toyota built our trucks they had extensions on all the other breathers but the rear. so if u drive alot in streams, the rear diff has a high tendency of sucking up water...(not a good thing). well this mod is just an extension of the breather where it's related to the gas cap area (or any higher area). For more info, check out the tech section here on yotatech.com
https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech...r/breather.htm

enjoy

Lance
Old 07-28-2003, 12:58 AM

on the plus side when sitting level, the front axle shafts angle up, so there is some lift that can be gained there. Eventually they might even have lifts like on the Full size trucks that ower the entire front suspension (you get a nice snowplow effect underneith though.

Quick Reply: 2003 4Runner lift and foglights...