03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

2003 4Runner lift and foglights...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 04:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GT: How do you adjust the coil overs? Is there an electric solenoid or manual knob to crank up or down the height? I keep looking at lift kits and they are all marketed as 'ride-leveling' systems. What is up with that title?
Old 07-28-2003, 05:48 AM

I'd say stay well below the 2.5" as raising it too high will cause some permanent damage to your CVs.
Lance, that's not exactly true. With the problems experienced in the Tundra's you would believe we would run into the same CV problems. However, Toyota designed the 4th Gens a bit differently (possibly learned from their mistake ?). The front CVs on the stock 4th Gens actually angle UP from the front differential to the wheel. This should allow quite a bit of lift to the front end before running into CV problems.

To give you an idea, the 2" lift I have installed has the front axle perfectly level to the ground. Therefore, a 3" lift should be no problem, with a 4" lift probably being the "comfort limit".

Steve
Old 07-28-2003, 08:09 AM
Contributing Member

lefty:

you might have a good point. when i get my coilovers in from downey, i'll play around with the height to see the cv angles would be. cuz the higher we can go without any damages to the cv's the better

lance
Old 09-16-2003, 07:23 PM

Fogs again...

Is it possible...
that since my 2003 runner doesn't have fog lights, but I am wired for them, that I could just order the fog lights separately and wire them to my head lights so that they are on when my head lights are on.

I would imagine that I would have to do this since I don't have the fog light switch on my head light arm.

Would wiring the fog lights directly to the head light wiring harness cause any kind of electrical problems in the future?
Old 09-17-2003, 04:38 AM

Yosmany - how do you know you're wired for fog lights? The service manager at my dealership says he talked to Toyota, gave them my VIN, and they told him that mine's not wired for them. Net - I can't get fog lights without lots of trouble and expense (over $700).
Old 09-17-2003, 05:01 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry, I am having a really hard time believing that it would cost $700+ to get for lights. Lets say that nothing is wired. You will need to get:

New headlight switch (I am assuming that the 4th gens fog light switch is located with the headlight switch. That's how my mom's 2003 ES300 and my bros 2002 IS300 is.

Wires, relay, and fuse

fog lights and brackets.

I put the hella/toyota fogs on my 97. Mine has a seperate rocker switch for the fogs, but I wired them to turn on when the headlights are on. The install took me a couple of hours, and a total of $80 for the kit (ebay). I can see the 4th gen being more than that, but not $700...
Old 09-17-2003, 05:05 AM
Contributing Member

The 1999+ factory Stanley projector fog lamps are $360 each without switch, relay, etc... So $700+ does not surprise me for the 4th Gens.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by jalaber
The 1999+ factory Stanley projector fog lamps are $360 each without switch, relay, etc... So $700+ does not surprise me for the 4th Gens.
If that's the case, the I would go with some aftermarket PIAA's!!
Old 09-17-2003, 09:04 AM
Contributing Member

Don't forget that anything from the dealer/stealer is gonna be atleast 10 times more than normal so I would say that the $700.00 sounds right.

If you really want all the factory parts, I'd suggest trying to hit up TOR (member here and a yota parts worker) as he'll prob be able to get you a pretty good price.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:15 PM

Fogs

You need a few things to have fog lights.

1) You need the headlight arm that has the fog switch.

2) the Fogs

3) the wiring harness. ( If you look underneath the headlights where your fogs should be and look at the wiring that goes into your headlights there should be a anothor wiring relay with a plug that would ideally plug into the back of the fog lights. They actually have the wires folded back and zip tied together since there are no fogs. I believe that this is the wiring harness for the fogs )

May be someone with fogs can chime in and confirm.

4) And I am not sure about this either. The parts guy at my dealership said that the power switches inside the steering column, where the light arm goes into is different. I Think that if I have the wiring harness, the power switches in the column should be the correct ones for the fogs.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:29 PM

Re: Fogs

Originally posted by Yosmany
3) the wiring harness. ( If you look underneath the headlights where your fogs should be and look at the wiring that goes into your headlights there should be a anothor wiring relay with a plug that would ideally plug into the back of the fog lights. They actually have the wires folded back and zip tied together since there are no fogs. I believe that this is the wiring harness for the fogs )

May be someone with fogs can chime in and confirm.
If it is the wiring harness for the fog lights, mine doesn't have it. Maybe the service manager was right.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:21 PM
Contributing Member

Sac State,

Coilovers are adjusted by manually screwing a coupling which in turn increases the tension on the spring. This can only be down with the weight off the tire. So, its not something that can be adjusted real quickly/easily.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:01 PM

VIN

If your Vin number begins with a "J" then your runner was built in Japan and it is prewired. If it begins with a "4" then it was built in the U.S. and you are not wired for fogs.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:41 AM
Contributing Member

Yosmany, I went the same way that SLC Punk did with my fogs on my 2002. That is a good set up and very inexpensive.

As for my 4th, I haven't done anything yet. I'm waiting for a bumper to become available.

With what it sounds like you're trying to accomplish, how about wiring like SLC and buying the small fogs. You could place them in the lower grill or bumper area.

Just a thought!

Doug
Old 10-02-2003, 05:03 AM
TOR

Fog Lights

Yos,

Here is deal on the headlights, as said before if your vehicle doesn't come straight from the factory then you can't get them.
Your wiring harness doesn't have the extensions built in for them. As for the if you VIN starts with a J then it is prewired, that is bogus info. Doesn't matter what they start with all are different, this I can promise you. Here is a break down of the parts list you would need for the fog lights alone, they are OUTRAGEOUS. Not to mention they aren't that great IMHO.

81221-35040 Left Fog Light Lens $264.62
81211-35060 Right Fog Light Lens $264.62
90981-13047 Fog Light Bulb $14.95
90159-60500 Screws for Lens $.43

Total w/ shipping would be: $580.86

I would go with Hella or PIAA or something else. There was discussion earlier about fog light kits for $80 on this thread, that is correct. On the older models they do offer another kit now for Port installed or accessories add-on, just not for the new ones.

Todd

Last edited by TOR; 10-02-2003 at 05:04 AM.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:46 PM

I'll take fogs for $100!

I installed my factory fogs today. They work to factory specs. I spent a whole $100, plus shipping. Here's how it works in four easy steps...

First, verify that your vehicle is prewired. You will know this because the plug for your turn signals has a second plug where the fog lights should go.

Second, Go on ebay find the left fog light for $60 and the right one for $40. BUY THEM!

Third, you will need to get a friend at toyota to hook you up with a free fog relay, and a free steering column switch.

OR

You could buy these parts as well. The relay costs $40 and the steering column switch is $60 on partznet.com. The new switch is different from the current switch. The new switch only has selections for your head lamps and for you fogs, not for AUTO or DRL. The part number for this switch is 84140-14120.

Fourth, plug-n-play. Put the fog lights where the fog covers are. Use the same two screws from the cover. Open up your engine fuse box and pop in your relay. The location for it is identified underneath the fuse box lid. Open up your steering column and replace your old light switch with the new and improved light switch. Use the same screws here too.

BAM!! You have factory fog lights for $100. Oh, $108 don't forget to buy your bulbs on ebay too. Those are part #9006.

Remember this only works if your car is pre-wired and that SHOULD be the case if your vin number begins with J.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: I'll take fogs for $100!

Originally posted by Yosmany
Remember this only works if your car is pre-wired and that SHOULD be the case if your vin number begins with J.
So if the truck is built in Japan then it's prewired
Old 10-17-2003, 09:00 PM

Yup.

If I am not mistaken, yes. I believe someone else on here said that they had a J and it was not prewired, but the idea is that the japanese ones came prewired for every accessory.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All 4Runners are built in Japan, It's cheaper for Toyota to wire them up for everything even if they don't have the options of fogs or whatever, using more then 1 wiring harness gets complicated and adds cost
Old 10-18-2003, 06:00 PM

Re: Re: I'll take fogs for $100!

Originally posted by EDGE
So if the truck is built in Japan then it's prewired
Not true -- all are built in Japan, and mine is not prewired. VIN begins with J, too.

I've crawled under the truck several times and had the dealer service manager confirm that it is not prewired. Maybe the only one on the planet that's not prewired....

Quick Reply: 2003 4Runner lift and foglights...