86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wanting To Make My 95 4Runner Big!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanting To Make My 95 4Runner Big!?

So I just got a 95 4Runner and I want to make it big but only know about suspension lift's and what they mean. I have heard of body lifts and stuff but I have no clue what they are but I have been looking at the 3in. lift kit from Rough Country but does anyone know of any bigger suspension lifts or other lift I can use with the suspension lift?
Old 07-19-2014, 10:34 PM

Big as in big gay mud truck? What is your intended purpose for the 4runner? Do you want to lift it to look cool cruising the mall or are you planning on wheeling it?
Old 07-20-2014, 05:48 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
^This. What are your plans for the truck? With bigger tires youll probably need lower gears. Got some pictures of what you want it to look like?

A body lift, lifts the body off the frame with spacers. 3" is the max you can do in most states legally. Good read: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/BodyLiftKit.shtml

Cheap and easy way to make it "big" would be a 4 inch IFS lift and a 3"bl.

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited by rattlewagon; 07-20-2014 at 05:58 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:39 AM

@konayota I plan on lifting it for looks and for mudding and possibly some sort of climbing.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:42 AM

@rattlewagon I will those up and read that!
Old 07-20-2014, 08:08 AM

Check out the Newbie Modification Information thread here. There's a lot of good info there. Keep in mind that there's a difference between a "big" truck and a capable one...because the one doesn't necessarily mean the other. You don't need a big lift and big tires to have a capable off road vehicle. Just like the guys said here, what are your plans and whaddaya using it for? You can fit 33" meats with very little work and no lift...or go with a minimal 1" body lift.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:18 AM

@daved5150 but I cant find a small lift kit for a 95 4Runner AWD that I have heard of and know I can trust. I am just thinking 3in. body lift and 3in. suspension lift if I can find it. But it is going to be my everyday driver and occasional mudding and climbing so I guess you could say it will be for looks to.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:57 AM

Ok ok...but just realize you're doing a lot of work to "look cool" like all the other tools out there parked at the mall or racing from light to light. Just be aware that you change the angle of the CV drive shafts in front when you add a IFS lift kit or add ball joint spacers to lift the front (which is actually done to give you more flex but lifts the front end as a result). And from what I've read, it's best to limit the ball joint spacer to 1.5". Read here for info on spacers. 4Crawler is a member here also and has a very informative site. Article on Toyota IFS lift.

Then you should add front locking hubs to avoid wearing out your CV's because they aren't level anymore when driving everyday. You probably have an ADD front end where there's a plate on the end of the axles which locks the shafts to the wheels and are always turning.

You can add a coil spacer for the rear coil spacers or buy a lift coil. You have a lot of options here. But when you lift the rear of 2nd gen 4Runners, you need one of these. The panhard bar needs to level or close in order to center the axle under the truck when using a rear lift in them. Then there's the matter of getting an extension for the rod on the Load sensing proportioning valve for the rear brakes....or tying it up...or eliminating it all together and installing a manual valve under the hood by the master cylinder to make sure the rear brakes work good.

You can add a body lift from 4crawler who puts together a custom 2nd gen 4runner lift because no one else sells one. But then you may need to add these, these, these and these with a taller body lift. Things to consider.

As for the cooler, bigger tires to go with the big lift...you can run them with your stock gears but your truck will be a complete dog with crappy mileage. Or you can buy used third members (differentials) with lower gears and put them at the least. Or you can pay someone to regear them.

Now, I am not trying to diss you at all but just trying to make you realize that there is a lot of work to do if you want it done right, to look cool. That's seems a little much for a $300 truck. I'd read that modifications thread that I linked to by AxleIke and put your money into the drive train where you'll see how much improvement there is by being more capable off road and learning how to off road.

Buck the trend of big lift/big tires that all the Jeep guys do to go to the mall. You don't need huge tires and tall lift to have fun off road. Spend your money to make your truck go farther off the beaten path instead of making it look cool in the parking lot. What I like about our older Toyotas is that they are not as common as the Jeeps which are everywhere. I like being different and having something you don't see everyone driving...buck the big Heep lift and keep it low like an ultimate sleeper (like a wolf in sheep's clothing).

Just trying to help you out. Any other questions let me know.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:48 AM

Good thing you wandered into Yotatech instead of Pirate

daved5150 just gave you a great, "nutshell" run-down. Believe him. THe link he provided contains a well-considered approach.

Set aside some time and read through this site, as well as other sites, including pirate4x4. You'll learn tons, and I'm certain you will change your mind about what you want out the 4runner.

Then again, if you don't care at all, and just want a big-ass queen-of-the-convenience-store-parking-lot, then have at it (honestly, Id rather you proceed with another make of vehicle, but hey, it's 'mericuh!)
Old 07-20-2014, 06:48 PM

Haha alright but I already got the torsion bars where it sits up higher and with those tires it is "Stanced" pretty good. I think I will just build other stuff on it.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This guy has it all figured out ...

Name:  34358d1287268700-monster-4runners-monst4rs-0802mt_03_z-monster_minitrucks-toyota_4runne.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  72.8 KB
Old 07-20-2014, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Yotoder865
Haha alright but I already got the torsion bars where it sits up higher and with those tires it is "Stanced" pretty good. I think I will just build other stuff on it.
OK, gotcha. I'm sort of in a similar boat. Hesitant to use balljoint spacers, so just cranked the torsion bars a little.

On the 3" body lift, read up a little, because I only recall that big bodylifts impact handling. Some people here are anti-bodylift, no matter what. I'm considering a 1" bodylift to clear tires when I switch to rims with some back spacing.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:45 AM

Alright, do you have any links to good 3in. body lifts for a 95?
Old 07-21-2014, 09:03 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Yotoder865
Alright, do you have any links to good 3in. body lifts for a 95?
did you search? if you literally type "3 inch body lift 4runner" into google you get the results you're seeking.
all body lifts are basically the same, there isn't really any version that's better - they're just a spacer/block and new bolts. only variance might be the material/alloy used, the quality of the casting, and the grade of bolts used.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:36 AM

Ya I was talking about suspension lift haha sorry but here is one I was thinking about (Body Lift) 3in. http://www.roughcountry.com/toyota-b...t-bl5513m.html and here is a 2in. http://www.roughcountry.com/toyota-b...t-bl5512m.html but why does the 2in. cost more?
Old 07-21-2014, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by dromomaniac
Good thing you wandered into Yotatech instead of Pirate

daved5150 just gave you a great, "nutshell" run-down. Believe him. THe link he provided contains a well-considered approach.

Set aside some time and read through this site, as well as other sites, including pirate4x4. You'll learn tons, and I'm certain you will change your mind about what you want out the 4runner.

Then again, if you don't care at all, and just want a big-ass queen-of-the-convenience-store-parking-lot, then have at it (honestly, Id rather you proceed with another make of vehicle, but hey, it's 'mericuh!)
Thanks for the kudos, dromomaniac. x2 on Pirate. There are more forums also. And search just as highonpottery said. There's a ton of info that comes up when you google stuff.

Did you mean your truck already has aftermarket torsion bars in it? If so, just go with a spacer or lift coil for the rear.

And since you mentioned ball joint spacers, check these out. That's what I'd go with if I was gonna use them.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by v_man

Seeing how that thing would probably tip right over at the slightest angle, I'd doubt that thing has ever seen anytime off road but alotta time in the asphalt jungle...
Old 07-21-2014, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by v_man

Hideous, absolutely hideous.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:22 PM

Hideous, absolutely hideous.

x2 on that dude....uugghhh!!!