YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Very rough cold start

Hey guys and gals,

Like the title states, I am having some very rough cold starts. it will wine for about 10 sec then turn over. once she is warm i have not issues, any thoughts

89 4Runner 3.0 SR5
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Old 03-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sound like a bad Cold Start Injector (hence the name) or Cold Start Injector Switch. What's the temperature outside when it has issues?

Mods to date:
  • Cat-back system: 2 1/4" piping and Magnaflow Muffler - 20% increase in MPG & noticeable gain in HP
  • 7MGE VAFM swap and 3" Spectre intake - Increased throttle response and power
  • Flamethrower injectors and Flamethrower 45k volt coil, better low end torque.
  • K&N Air Filter
  • Kicker KS69 6x9" speakers in rear, Kicker 4" DS40 in the dash, Kenwood KDC-255U receiver, USB/Aux
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefreakgc View Post
sound like a bad cold start injector (hence the name) or cold start injector switch. What's the temperature outside when it has issues?
23* - 45*
Old 03-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

I don't think Luv is getting to the CSI.

If it "whines" before it turns over, the starter is spinning without engaging. Possible causes: loose starter, damaged pinion gear (on the starter itself), damaged flywheel (into which the starter engages). Can be temperature dependent at first (metal contracts with cold).

Replacing the starter is what I would recommend, because even if it is only loose you've already damaged the pinion gear. More importantly, every time you start it that way you're damaging the flywheel; once it's bad enough it is a bigger job to replace.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, that would be a good place to start looking then. The purpose of the CSI is to provide extra fuel during a cold start. If it's malfunctioning, it'll have a rough time starting up. You can view some info from the FSM here on how to troubleshoot the CSI and CSIS.

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...ne/97colds.pdf - CSIS check with a multimeter

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...88coldstar.pdf - CSI check. If the switch measures ok and is not damaged, check the CSI as directed then remove it and soak the tip, not the whole thing, in gasoline overnight. Clean up the injector tip a bit (be careful not to drop or damage, it has ceramic parts that are fragile) to make sure it's not clogged up. Be sure to put a new gasket on, you might have to make your own since they are a bit hard to find. I've gotten away with re-using the crush washers since they require a fairly low torque, they are a dealer-only part.

If this doesn't fix it, next you'll need to inspect your fuel system. This means jumping terminals (forget which ones at the moment) to make sure your fuel pump is working, replacing the fuel filter, checking for leaks/damange, etc. But definitely check the CSI system first.

Mods to date:
  • Cat-back system: 2 1/4" piping and Magnaflow Muffler - 20% increase in MPG & noticeable gain in HP
  • K&N Air Filter
  • Kicker KS69 6x9" speakers in rear, Kicker 4" DS40 in the dash, Kenwood KDC-255U receiver, USB/Aux

Last edited by Gamefreakgc; 03-14-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamefreakgc View Post
Yeah, that would be a good place to start looking then. The purpose of the CSI is to provide extra fuel during a cold start. If it's malfunctioning, it'll have a rough time starting up. You can view some info from the FSM here on how to troubleshoot the CSI and CSIS.

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...ne/97colds.pdf - CSIS check with a multimeter

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...88coldstar.pdf - CSI check. If the switch measures ok and is not damaged, check the CSI as directed then remove it and soak the tip, not the whole thing, in gasoline overnight. Clean up the injector tip a bit (be careful not to drop or damage, it has ceramic parts that are fragile) to make sure it's not clogged up. Be sure to put a new gasket on, you might have to make your own since they are a bit hard to find. I've gotten away with re-using the crush washers since they require a fairly low torque, they are a dealer-only part.

If this doesn't fix it, next you'll need to inspect your fuel system. This means jumping terminals (forget which ones at the moment) to make sure your fuel pump is working, replacing the fuel filter, checking for leaks/damange, etc. But definitely check the CSI system first.

Perfect, thanks you for the diagrams I have printed them and will get on this tonight after work. thanks again.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

I didn't think about the starter (we posted at same time lol), it could also be your issue. I've been told that a slight tap with a hammer when you are cranking will help figure out if that's the issue. If it fires up, your starter is going bad.

Mods to date:
  • K&N Air Filter
Old 03-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
I didn't think about the starter (we posted at same time lol), it could also be your issue. I've been told that a slight tap with a hammer when you are cranking will help figure out if that's the issue. If it fires up, your starter is going bad.
Thank you for the advise, turns out the cold start ignition sensor was unplugged, how i do not know, but hey better that then spending 150$. thanks for the advice
Old 03-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Gotta love the easy fix. Sometimes the connector is loose since the clasp breaks, just make sure it doesn't come off easy or use a zip tie or electrical tape to hold it on.

Mods to date:
  • K&N Air Filter
Old 03-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Gotta love the easy fix. Sometimes the connector is loose since the clasp breaks, just make sure it doesn't come off easy or use a zip tie or electrical tape to hold it on.
yeah wish the issue i am having with my front power windows was a simple.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement