86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Uhh Ohh. . . Headgasket? :/

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Uhh Ohh. . . Headgasket? :/

So I was getting ready to change my oil and while crawling around underneath I noticed there was coolant around the edge of the oil pan. First thought was uh oh. I then drained the oil, it looked like a redish color but the sun was behind the drip line so I don't know. I stuck my finger under the drip and smelt it and it didn't smell like coolant at all, didn't even smell burnt. I then removed the oil cap and that is when my heart sank. Usually there is just a thick clod of burnt-ness under the cap but this time there was a layer of white looking residue. I had just drove it to get the oil warmed up and then temp gauge was staying right in the middle, as always and no smoke out of the tail pipe. I have never seen the temp gauge rise over the middle so I do not think it was over heating however the thermostat could be deceiving. I do recall about a week ago I stopped at Napa to get a quart of oil to top it off and as I was pouring the wind picked up and blew a small amount of water over my engine. I do not recall how much but when it happened I stopped pouring and covered the hole up with my hand. Is it possible that just a small amount, maybe, I don't know 7 drops could cause the white stuff under the cap? Or do I just need to face facts here and man up, call a tow truck and bow my head as it disappears to the mechanics? Any suggestions from anyone?

Old 11-09-2012, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's what my 710 cap looks like all the time. No milkshake consistency to oil? No oil in radiator? No losing coolant or oil? Looks normal to me. Run a compression test if you're really worried.

'89 22RE 4x4 longbed DLX
Sent from my LG-P505 using YotaTech
Old 11-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you see where the coolant trail leads to up on the block? Leaky coolant or heater hose? Water pump leaking?
Old 11-09-2012, 02:43 PM

It looks like normal condensation build up to me.You can go to autozone and pay a small deposit and get a compression gauge or a tester to check for combustion gas in the coolant system and im sure we can help you out on how to do it.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:17 PM

He guys thanks for the replies. The coolant was on the edge of the oil pan and a couple drops on the steering stabilizer and since there was no coolant in the oil, looked and smelt fine, i'm thinking I just have a small leak. I checked my radiator and it was full but the reservoir was low so i'm guessing that i'm leaking coolant somewhere or possibly burning.

What really worried me is that usually my oil cap is filled with black char looking stuff and this time it was clean with a white mixture to it? That is what scared me however it did not smell any different so i'm thinking maybe just condensation from the possible water dripping in there, maybe I did not have the cap on all the way?

I finished up and took it for a drive, nothing out of the normal. I do not smell coolant while driving and like i said the temp gauge stays right in the middle, never over and the only time it smokes is when the engine is cold. I'm going to keep a very close eye on everything, maybe i'll do a coolant flush and look for some oil particles?

Once again thanks for the replies guys!!
Old 11-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Contributing Member

Grab a telescoping mechanics mirror and a good light and give the head to block interface a good inspection. You may have a slight seeping leak there.

Could it be the U shaped water hose at the back of the block?
Old 11-09-2012, 04:38 PM

Hey man I tried looking around for a leak but it snowed last night so everything was wet and it was getting dark so i'm going to wait until it dries up and then check everything. I have never seen coolant on my driveway so I think, if it is a leak, it is very minimal. I called my mechanic and told her, the front desk lady, what I thought and she said well if it's not in your oil, it's not too great of a concern. She also said that hoses tend to break/crack in our area more frequently due to the cold and dry so maybe i'll go buy some hoses and clamps. She also said it could be the water pump leaking.

So Oregon I can't tell you at the moment, at least not until it's warmer and drier and I can look into it a bit more. I am honestly close to clueless when it comes to engines so it'll be tricky.

And like I said I have never seen coolant in my driveway, just lots of ATF so i'm thinking the leak is very small and has been possibly occurring for a while and I just haven't noticed it, or it just started and is the beginning to something worse.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Just do a coolant pressure test, you will probably find your leak. Doesn't sound bad at all.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

No prob....tackle it when the weather improves.....go snowboarding first!

I think you possibly have something very similar to my 3.4 HG failure. Started off I could smell coolant burning off for a few seconds on shut-down and maybe 4 ounces of coolant used every 6 months. No white exhaust, no oil/coolant mixing, and no overheating. BUT, on shut-down I had a drip in the same area that made it to the oil pan, but never dropped on the ground.

Finally, I was to 8 ounces of coolant every 6 months....so out came the mirror. Right after shut-down after several failed attempts, I finally spotted the seep...on the driver side near the back of the head and also right above the starter. The crazy thing is 5 minutes later everything would be dry and no sign of a leak until the next shut-down. It seemed to be sealed when running and at full temp, but leaked when cooling down. My experience .02....

ksti has good advice.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:59 PM

Hey KSTI, is this something along the lines of what i'll need? It says "knob" so i'm assuming i'll need another piece to go with it? Sorry i've never heard of a coolant pressure test so first grader questions are upon us

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...510_0361147562

EDIT*****

Here's something that looks more "complete" . .

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...582_0006544559

Last edited by StewsRunner; 11-09-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:04 PM

In cold weather my oil cap gets the same gunk. In warm weather it is black as you describe, it's just condensation. The first time i saw it i got worried too. Sometimes changing the oil more often helps.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:09 PM

Looks like this you can probably rent one from auto zone. They will show you how to use it. I see what your talking about regarding knob lol. You need the complete unit to do test.
I'm sure there's an Auto Zone up there in God's country. Hope this pic helps.
Keep us posted.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:18 PM

Hey sechott, those are words I need to hear! Haha i'm trying to remember what my cap looked like last winter but I can't.

I got called into work tonight so I drove and I was watching my temp gauge and looking in my mirror more than I was watching the road Nothing more than cold engine smoke.

Hey oregon you said that your coolant leak was apart of a head gasket fail? When you found your leak did you simply just fix it or have to rebuild the head?

And KSTI, yea the nearest autozone is about 30 miles away one way, i'm hoping my Napa has one, I don't want to drive 120 miles to rent a tool haha. Thanks for the recommendation man, I really appreciate it! Unfortunately, depending on how much it costs to rent, I wont be able to get it for a little while but i'll keep this thread updated if I can pin point the leak or run into any issues!

Thanks again, fellas!
Old 11-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Yep, coolant pressure test is the way to go.

Listen carefully when you pressurize it; it should be fairly easy to spot any leaks. Most common spots are the bypass hose under the back passenger side of the plenum, the gasket around the thermostat, the oil cooler (if equipped) & the water pump bearing.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by StewsRunner
Hey oregon you said that your coolant leak was apart of a head gasket fail? When you found your leak did you simply just fix it or have to rebuild the head?
Stew, I took the heads into the local NAPA machine shop. They pressure tested, tore down and cleaned them, checked valves and spring specs, replaced oil seals from the top end Toyota OEM gasket kit I bought, checked valve clearance, and resurfaced them.

Nearly two years and 7,000 miles later, all is good.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:57 AM

Hey guys just an update and question. . . First off, no abnormal activity. Temp is good and all. I still believe I have a coolant leak, i'm going to do what Oregon suggested and turn the truck off and dive bomb under the front end and look for a leak, finally have some time today.

However, could a coolant leak cause idle issues? When ever it is cold out my truck idles funky at a stop. I'll pull up to a stop light and most of the time it'll stall after idling up and down for a min. It is to the point where I need to keep my left foot on the brake and my right on the gas to keep the RPMs up. And it will stall in neutral as well. And about one in four times, when turn I turn the AC on, it'll stall.

Any chance those two are related?
Old 11-12-2012, 09:10 AM
Contributing Member

Yes, I would think they are related. Coolant does not combust so well.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:56 PM

Stew,
It may be a little more difficult then you think just crawling under and looking for a leak. You might get lucky and find it.

There are ledges,valleys and hoses that can impede travel or path of leak. Do it right and get a pressure tester. It will save you some aggravation.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any way UV dye would help? Can ya run that through the cooling system?

'89 22RE 4x4 longbed DLX
Sent from my LG-P505 using YotaTech
Old 04-27-2013, 09:26 PM

Well to update... I have changed the oil 2-3 times since as well as looked around and I cannot find any coolant anywhere. Not on the pan or steering stabilizer. I have also been watching the level in coolant reservoir and it is steady so I'm assuming I do not have a leak? I know I should actually check the pressure but my local Napa only sells the gauge so I need to find a different store.

Sent from my iPhone using YotaTech