Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Turbo timer

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 08:00 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tzarevitch
tried4x2signN,
How do you pop your hood a few blocks from your hse? It's much hassle than waiting in the car for the Turbo to cool down... Or sorry, as much hassles...

No. If it's extremely hot here, I just pull the hood release and let it ride on the safety catch.

But I live about 3 blocks from the interstate. So it's common for me to go from a high speed/ high flow/ high engine heat speed, to a slow speed.

That's like just cutting off the air flow supply to a hot engine.

I get about two blocks from my house, slow WAYYY down, and pull my hood release.

When I get out of my truck I either just shut it back, or leave it until I get back into my truck...

No problems... Just go slow enough that if the safety catch released, you can stop before wind folded the hood up over the cab.

By reading this post you have agreed to release "Tried4x2signN" from any and all liabilities from any damages that might accrue from any and such actions as indicated in this post

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 09-07-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked having a turbo timer just for the peace of mind when I had just shelled out $1000 for a new turbo and it's better to be safe than sorry so it's nice to be able to park and let the turbo timer idle for you and and not have to think about it.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tzarevitch
On the owner's manual, it's written -
About 50 miles/hour - 20 seconds
About 70 miles/hour - 60 seconds
Continuously 70 miles/hour OR towing heavy loads OR climbing steep mountains OR offroad (I assume, not written in there) - 2 minutes
Anything less than 50 miles/hour, city ride - No need.
there you go, Toyota knows better than most mechanics

i personally let it idle for 10-15 seconds around for city driving and 25-30 seconds on the highway (speedo usually sitting at 55-60)

im ganna start letting it sit for 2 minutes when i driving it hard on the highway though (im at a constant 3psi going 70mph lol)
Old 09-08-2010, 06:52 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Yeah, but correct me if I'm wrong... A timer on a 5 speed is pretty useless, no?

Sure it'll cut the engine off, but you won't want your truck just sitting there hanging by the E-brake, would you?

I know that's unsettling to me...

EDIT: Well I guess there is the "line-lock" too...

But that's still all unsettling to me... I know trucks don't pop out of gear just sitting.

Hydro pressures can leak, and e-brakes don't hold squat!

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 09-08-2010 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tried4x2signN
e-brakes don't hold squat!
actually alot of people ONLY use the e-brake for their cars, personally my camaros ebrake stinks and only leaving it in gear can hold it

on my truck, only the e-brake can hold the truck on even a slight hill, if i just leave it in gear the truck will stay put then fall back like 6" and repeats, the 33s are too damn big the for 2.4 and they just turn the motor over lol
Old 09-09-2010, 01:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
With ever advancing synthetic oils that don't coke like the oils of yesterday, there's not much of a need for turbotimers anymore. Let the vehicle idle for a few seconds before turning the motor off.

The whole point of a TT is so that you don't get dyno oil coking in the turbo bearings (super hot in there). Synthetic doesn't coke.

Edit: the e-brake on my truck works well, by the way.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:42 PM

My point was a 5 speed doesnt have a parking pawl.

If you guy's are secure in your e brakes and liability insurance enough, then by all means, go right ahead.

I would NEVER leave a vehicle parked by the soul means of an e brake...

That's just asking for it IMO.

And the whole point of a TT is so that you can leave the car running long enough to cool the oil down while you leave it...

The Rocket Scientist in me says it's not worth it.

Just stay in the thing!
Old 09-09-2010, 02:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tried4x2signN
My point was a 5 speed doesnt have a parking pawl.

If you guy's are secure in your e brakes and liability insurance enough, then by all means, go right ahead.

I would NEVER leave a vehicle parked by the soul means of an e brake...

That's just asking for it IMO.

And the whole point of a TT is so that you can leave the car running long enough to cool the oil down while you leave it...

The Rocket Scientist in me says it's not worth it.

Just stay in the thing!
I know that.LOL. I'd never leave my truck with just the e-brake holding it in place. I park every vehicle I own (all manual transmissions) in reverse gear, and pull the e-brake.

My whole point is that with modern oils, turbo timers are obsolete. Perhaps I should have been more clear.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:52 PM

shaeff, I got you, and you are spot on!
Old 09-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Banned

lol, yep

tubo timer has no use unless your constantly beating on it or using it at the track, and i also leave both my truck and camaro in 2nd with the ebrake, but as i said the ebrake does 90% of the holding in the truck the tranny does 90% of the holding in my camaro

i agree 100% with shaeff as i said the same thing in my original post