YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Turbo timer (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/turbo-timer-131246/)

Sonofmayhem 12-02-2007 12:29 PM

Turbo timer

What brand? and where did you get it? What does the install include?

I need one for my 86 4runner.

TY

Sonofmayhem 12-02-2007 01:52 PM

Also what would you fellow turbo owners set the timer to?

I would like to get one and install it on my own, but I'm not sure if my mech/electrical skills are up to it.

swerks 12-02-2007 02:03 PM

I have a greddy timer very easy install come with harness. I will see if I can find where I purchased from. the model I have automatically figures how much time is needed or you can set it manually.

82yota 12-02-2007 02:34 PM

I'm interested in this as well as I can't go killing my turbo. Just too expensive to fix the thing. Hows does that one go about figuring how long to stay on for? Just remembers how much you were on boost for in the mins coming to when you shut the thing off?

DeathCougar 12-02-2007 02:43 PM

The turbo timer on my 99 ram cummins is set to shut the truck off when my EGT's reach 300 degrees. I can set it for 250, but it takes about 5 mins of idle to get to that point, and the instructions say its not needed.

Check in the 86 Turbo truck owners manual for Toyotas recommended idle time. I would think 1 to 2 mins should be fine for a 4Runner or Turbo truck.

Hayes 12-02-2007 02:47 PM

The TT will calculate the time needed for cooldown based on how the car was driven.

X-AWDriver 12-02-2007 05:41 PM

I had an HKS timer on my Eclipse and two minutes was enough for my cool downs with normal driving and at the strip and road course it was set at 5 minutes for good measure.

DeathCougar 12-02-2007 05:50 PM

what were your EGT's down to, or did you even have it set to monitor that?

Turbo4Runner 12-02-2007 07:42 PM

A gassers EGT's at idle will be at least 600. It also depends on where your EGT probe is mounted.

I have always felt comfortable shutting down at around 800* or so... I have found 1-2 min is typically enough.

Not all turbo timers will automatically adjust based on how you were driving, and even so I'm not sure I would trust it 100%. Personally I prefer the models that just have 2 preset values and I can toggle. 2 min for in-town and 5 or more for hard driving or if I want to keep the truck running while I run into 7-11. :)

Sonofmayhem 12-02-2007 09:14 PM

Thanks!

Swerks if you can find that i would appreciate it.

8722rte 12-03-2007 06:33 PM

I have a hks turbo timer that came out of my 87 turbo 4runner that I would part with but don't have the hole wiring harness.

toylocost 12-03-2007 06:57 PM

Sorry for the hijak, but i just bought a turbo runner do i need to let it cool before shutting it down?

Thanks

Hayes 12-03-2007 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by dirtbiker13575 (Post 50685129)
Sorry for the hijak, but i just bought a turbo runner do i need to let it cool before shutting it down?

Thanks

YES!!!!!!!

swerks 12-04-2007 02:25 AM

I purchased from a ebay store but they dont seem to have any more. sorry

swerks 12-04-2007 06:47 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GREDD...9008QQtcZphoto

here you go!

tzarevitch 09-07-2010 12:09 AM

Hi guys, I just wondering how does the Central Locking System, Alarm & Immobilizer works along with the Turbo Timer?

Can I still turn it on while having TT has the engine running for 2 minutes?

greatskiiiier 09-07-2010 02:26 PM

i was talking to my buddy whos a mechanic and head of his car club which is based around turbos lol, and his perspective on it is that you dont need a turbo timer for a DD thats not getting beat on

his feeling on the subject was if i dont boost at all within the last minute or so of driving its fine to shut right off, i always let it sit for 15-30 seconds depending though
and if i was beating on it at all ill drive around the block then let it idle for like 60 seconds

searching on other forums they also agreed its not needed and as long as your not doing a whole shot you can shut the car off right as you park, and they hinted that if you use synthetic a turbo timer is worthless unless your at the track

but at the end of the day the dash pad thing thats on the glove box says, correct me if im wrong, but like 10 seconds for normal driving 30 for spirited driving and 120 for offroading

tried4x2signN 09-07-2010 03:53 PM

No, specially for the RTE... It has no intercooler.

It specifically says on the glove box lid something to the effect of: If vehicle has seen sustained high speed use, or driven long grades, don't just pull in and shut it off...

All you gotta do is use some common sense here... Just let it idle down to as cool as it can, or slow down way before you get to your stop...

If you do the latter, you aren't feeding it as much fuel and air is still flowing through the engine bay.

If it's hot here, I'll just pop my hood a few blocks from my house, and drive'er in at about 5 miles per hour.

And my current truck doesn't even have a Turbo...

tzarevitch 09-07-2010 07:31 PM

On the owner's manual, it's written -
About 50 miles/hour - 20 seconds
About 70 miles/hour - 60 seconds
Continuously 70 miles/hour OR towing heavy loads OR climbing steep mountains OR offroad (I assume, not written in there) - 2 minutes
Anything less than 50 miles/hour, city ride - No need.

My engine doesn't have a intercooler.

greatskiiiier,
Actually, I have heard both side of the stories. Yes, like you, I have read somewhere saying that just don't drive too hard on the engine few minutes before reaching the destination, it'll do fine for cooling the Turbo Charger.
On the other hand, some mechanics insisted that only a total idle of the engine would cool off the Turbo Charger.

I think to fix on a Turbo Timer is just having a peace of mind. Plus, I'll wouldn't find out until the Turbo Charger is broken right?

tried4x2signN,
How do you pop your hood a few blocks from your hse? It's much hassle than waiting in the car for the Turbo to cool down... Or sorry, as much hassles...

tried4x2signN 09-07-2010 07:53 PM

The main reason I know to use a Timer is so the oil doesn't coke.

Oil flows through the Turbo, boost or no boost...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbocharger#Reliability