YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2013, 02:22 AM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

Swaping harness

I am going to Swap a 1989 4 wheel drive, automatic transmisison harness into my 1986 2wd toyota, But I want to use the dash components that are already in there, but the air flow meter sensor and the coil wires run through the das, What can I get rid of and be ok? And is there a good thread on her for doing harness swaps? Thanks.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
rydholm11211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:27 AM   #2

included pictures

I have a few pictures of the harnest I want to swap, but know I am trying to figure out the best way to not use the dash wiring part, since that works great in my 1986 truck, I think all I need is the air flow meter connector and the coil connections, and with the engine harness, I will wire in the temp sensors to the dash, and I will have to connect the safty switch on the automatic, so it will start. Here is a few picturs:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #3

I cant bilieve nobody has a good thread for this, or any information about using a automatic harness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i thought this forum was for toyota pickups!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #4

Lame

LAMELame lame
Old 02-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Personal Sales Rating: (-1)

Man I hope you took lots of pictures because I don't see no labels on those connectors!

and those pictures are pretty confusing, not helped by the text overlay.

That last picture definatly has the inst' cluster connections, two white and a blue at the lower right.

Where are the two rats nests of spliced wires, off screen or under the text?

Are all these of the 4x4 A/T harness?

Assuming all the hacked together wires are all for the AFM or ignition, yes deloom them. Stuff it into a new looming cover and rerap.

I'd like to point out i said "If you found the correct harness. I'd swap it in instead of trying to fix the mess.". Also remeber I said you had posssible power supply problems to your ECU, eg swapping in new wires for the AFM isn't going to solve the problem. And you can't use the A/T 4x4 ecu, it'll bitch about the tranny not being there like I said before.

You'll need that other ecu you mentioned in PM, and the wires to the AFM from the 4x4 harness.

Just take your time and work thru it, if it pisses you off take a break. Don't cut open the looming you need to unrap it so as not to damage wires with a stray cut.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:55 PM   #6

Shoot, I just choped the wiring harness out of my truck, I thought people have used the automatic harness for a manual truck? Looks like I will have to look for a 2wd harness?? I will have to call yota yard?
Old 02-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

4Runnin4Life@gmail.com
To the OP:

You really ought to stick with a harness as close to your year as possible. 1989 is a different year (for trucks) and could encompass different lengths between "branches" to fit around the curves and corners underneath the dash. Also, Toyota had a bad knack for changing connectors... sometimes randomly. In fact, 1989 is kind of a bad year to source. There were a lot of stupid, little changes halfway through the model year.

I just finished BUILDING my own 4Runner because I'm too cheap to buy one... go ahead and call me crazy!

PROJECT FRANKENYOTA: Stolen and parted out. I bought the body to build my own. Then it was stolen and parted out again... so I rebuilt it again.

Datsun 240z: For when the day comes that my 4Runner is "done".
XtraSlow_XtraCab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #8

I am going to call yota yard and see if they can find me a whole wiring harness with ECU for a 1986 2wd pickup.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:37 AM   #9
Personal Sales Rating: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydholm11211 View Post
I am going to call yota yard and see if they can find me a whole wiring harness with ECU for a 1986 2wd pickup.
I thought you had an 89 motor, 1989 22re swaped into an 1986 22r, yes? You might have issues with connectors being of different types using an 86, eg they will/might not mate up to some of your sensors.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #10

4Runnin4Life@gmail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU View Post
I thought you had an 89 motor, 1989 22re swaped into an 1986 22r, yes? You might have issues with connectors being of different types using an 86, eg they will/might not mate up to some of your sensors.
Hmm... thats partially my bad I s'pose. I wasn't aware of the 89 engine. The connectors will most likely be different (throttle position sensor and fuel injector connectors come to mind..)

I just finished BUILDING my own 4Runner because I'm too cheap to buy one... go ahead and call me crazy!

PROJECT FRANKENYOTA: Stolen and parted out. I bought the body to build my own. Then it was stolen and parted out again... so I rebuilt it again.

Datsun 240z: For when the day comes that my 4Runner is "done".
XtraSlow_XtraCab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #11

Quote:
I cant bilieve nobody has a good thread for this, or any information about using a automatic harness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i thought this forum was for toyota pickups!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
LAMELame lame
^^^^I'm wondering what the hell this was all about?!

I BUILT MY BUSINESS!!
ksti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement