86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Starter issue. doing nothing when key is turned

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter issue. doing nothing when key is turned

two days ago, it starts fine and i go to the gas station. l try to start it up there and it wont start, so i get a jump, and the cables were not even hooked on for a full minute before i turned the key and it started with some hesitation before it turned over. but it started so i drove off a few hundred feet where out of nowhere it completely dies while driving and i coast to the side of the road. i tried to turn the key and nothing. no sounds or clicks of the starter. the battery gauge indicates it is less than a quarter charged. i get it back to my house via flatbed and turn the key to on, and the bat gauge goes to the normal operating range and i start it and it starts good without much hesitation. i move the truck around and let it idle then turn it off and try to turn it back on then it goes back to how it was on the side of the road. we get it to pop start it was like there was nothing wrong, i drove it around the yard a few times at different speeds and then let it idle for 10 minutes before shutting it off. when i try to start it again... back to the side of the rd situation. l am guessing the starter solenoid is bad or needs the contacts replaced. Any help would be really appreciated
EDIT** while it was running from being pop started, i turned the key to see if the starter would try to engage, it would not do anything or make no noise.

***Also, if this has anything to do with it, the stupid sensitive python alarm went off usually i put it in valet mode and it starts fine, but not this time. l did disconnect the siren to it becuase i could not deal with it anymore. and it is in valet mode

Last edited by zanzabar0; 08-07-2011 at 08:38 AM. Reason: forgotten info
Old 08-07-2011, 02:28 AM

I had a similar problem in my old accord. Could be the starter switch, which is a really easy and fairly inexpensive fix if it is.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Starter relay or neutral start switch. If it were the solenoid it would not start at all.

it could also be the alarm system. Seen that more than once. I have ripped a few out and had to "solve" that problem because the signal was re-routed into the no longer there alarm box.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:16 PM

just jump started it, and it hesitated a few seconds before starting. so i think that would eliminate the starter issue? while running we load tested the battery and the engine died while the battery was under load. also trying to get it started without a jump i can hear the starter relay clicking and thats it
Old 08-08-2011, 03:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Get one of the yellow "MAXX" batteries from WalMart; they're AWESOME--have an 8 year warranty.

Also, I'd remove EVERYTHING from the alarm; they're usually nothing but trouble.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:23 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by zanzabar0
... while running we load tested the battery and the engine died while the battery was under load. also trying to get it started without a jump i can hear the starter relay clicking and thats it
"starter relay clicking and that's it" sounds like your battery is too low (dying on load test could be the same thing). Easy: charge the battery, then try it. Faster: put a voltmeter on the battery when you try to start it. http://www.harborfreight.com/7-funct...ter-90899.html If it reads less than about 11v, your battery is too low.

Why is it too low? Lots of causes, including a bad battery. But if a charged battery starts your truck, check the voltage when running. Should be around 14.1v. If less (down in the 12s), you're not charging.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:38 PM

fixed the problem, i took all of the terminal cables off and cleaned them as well as the posts and put some dialectric grease on there and then clamped them down good. then tried to start it and boom she starts. now everything seems fine and it has started for a good 20 times so far so i think its good. the battery is a duralast gold with the yellow top i got this spring
thanks for all the input guys