86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Shoot Some Help My way .... P(u)Lease

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shoot Some Help My way .... P(u)Lease

Hey guys, i just picked up a 93 4runner yesterday... the long and short of it is, i got it for free, so im making a project out of it...its the 3.0, 5 speed, nothing special. now, i know a good bit about 4 wheel drive stuff, i have had some j**ps, but im pretty new to the Toyota scene. I dont want to get real extreme, im gonna try to drive it daily...All i want to be run are 33x12.50x15 TSL Radials. Now as of now my plan is a 3'' body lift, 1.5'' ball joint spacers, 1.5'' Torsion Bar and a springover in the rear (or maybe some 2'' springs and shackles)... Now, i have searched a bit but i cant seem to find too much about spring overs in the rear, so could someone point me in the right direction to so info on it.... also with the lift the front, am i going to run into any unforeseen problems ie; drive shaft angles, steering location, drop t-case - anything like that i will have to deal with? Thats all i really want to do, just get a decent lift and some meaty tires. I really appreciate the help (in advance)

Any ideas are helpful
Also: why does my 93 runner have leafs in the rear and some hav coils?
-Chase
Old 09-20-2007, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by cchilders13
Also: why does my 93 runner have leafs in the rear and some hav coils?
-Chase
If I recall 93 was the year toyota chaged the body style slightly of the 4runner so early 93s would be the "old style" [just like the hilux/truck] and the late 93s would be the "new style" with the one piece H4 type headlights and coil rears... the headlights are the quickest way to tell the difference in my experience...
Hope this helped Aviator
and welcome to the forum
Old 09-20-2007, 09:11 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Now, i have searched a bit but i cant seem to find too much about spring overs in the rear, so could someone point me in the right direction to so info on it....
Spring overs? I don't follow you there. Do you mean "spring over axle" as in where the leaf springs sit? They already are on the top of the axle, right?

Or do you mean overload(helper)springs that go on over the leaf springs? They're like add-a-leafs except on top of the leaf packs.

Like these:

Last edited by MudHippy; 09-20-2007 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:24 AM

if your 93 4runner has leafs, well, then someone's already been doin some work under there.....
Old 09-20-2007, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by yotasavg
if your 93 4runner has leafs, well, then someone's already been doin some work under there.....
X2.

All 2nd gen 4runners came with coils in the rear.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
If I recall 93 was the year toyota chaged the body style slightly of the 4runner so early 93s would be the "old style" [just like the hilux/truck] and the late 93s would be the "new style" with the one piece H4 type headlights and coil rears... the headlights are the quickest way to tell the difference in my experience...
Hope this helped Aviator
and welcome to the forum
Actually '92 was the first year using the newer headlights, also swapped TOYOTA for the "T" on the grill, and all 2nd gen 4Runners have coils in the rear.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
Spring overs? I don't follow you there. Do you mean "spring over axle" as in where the leaf springs sit? They already are on the top of the axle, right?

Or do you mean overload(helper)springs that go on over the leaf springs? They're like add-a-leafs except on top of the leaf packs.

Like these:
i mean spring over axle... thats where you move the springs on top of the axle housing
Old 09-21-2007, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
Hope this helped Aviator
and welcome to the forum
Yea man thanks
Old 09-21-2007, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mattabilly
Actually '92 was the first year using the newer headlights, also swapped TOYOTA for the "T" on the grill, and all 2nd gen 4Runners have coils in the rear.
Im telling you guys.... i got a 93 4runner, (the title itself even says so), its the second generation body style, and it has leaf springs in the rear, i promise you.... i am not retarted....i know these things..... will someone please explain this to me.....
Old 09-21-2007, 07:50 AM

i mean frick, i will even post up some pictures later if we are still having some disbelief issues..... i know, this is rocking my world too
Old 09-21-2007, 08:03 AM

take some pics, i have a 93 with leafs also, we will compare
Old 09-21-2007, 10:34 AM

i mean frick, i will even post up some pictures later if we are still having some disbelief issues..... i know, this is rocking my world too
No dude, I believe you.

It's a little odd sounding to me because I've only seen spring under axles on 2WD Toyota pickups and some Land Cruisers. Not on a 4Runner, which I too thought should have coils there to begin with.

Anywho, maybe you could get a different axle with spring perches on top. Or just weld some on top of the axle you have. You can find them somewhere, I'll look around and let you know if I find ya some.

Don't , it'll work out. We want to help you here.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:02 PM

No dude, I believe you.

It's a little odd sounding to me because I've only seen spring under axles on 2WD Toyota pickups and some Land Cruisers. Not on a 4Runner, which I too thought should have coils there to begin with.

Anywho, maybe you could get a different axle with spring perches on top. Or just weld some on top of the axle you have. You can find them somewhere, I'll look around and let you know if I find ya some.

Don't , it'll work out. We want to help you here.[/QUOTE]

Na, man im not popping, i know yall are here to help, haha.... thanks for the info. So anyway i got under there today and took a closer look around, and you can see where its been switched from coils to leafs. whoever did it did it well, because there is not much evidence of this...accept some grinder marks on top of the axle housing, where the coil perches were.... so this explains alot. the guy that had it before me did some work on it, i guess he was gonna build it up right nicely, but he had to get rid of it..... so no that this is squared away, i can work out the spring over myself... ill just drop the axle and finish smoothing up the axle housing and weld on some leaf perches... ill keep it posted how the build goes.... that all being said, leafs make my life easier..... ha
Old 09-22-2007, 11:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Spring-over-axle will give you like 5"-6" of lift in the rear. My buddy did that to his '93 Ford Exlpoder and he got an 8" lift kit for the front and it sits level.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:16 PM

Yeah, as far as I know from experience.

Toyota 2WD trucks from 79 - 83 (I can only guess that before and until 89-90) always had springs under axle. It was kind of a mouse job, but to lower them you would put a metal block spacer (they were sold everywhere and they came with u-bolts too) between the axle & spring and it would push the axles up into the wheel well and I forget how we did the front, maybe tie rods. Anyway, all of the 4WD trucks were the exact opposite front and back, spring over axle and you could buy Add-A-Leaf lift kits for the front and back to lift it up 2-4"

I am pretty sure the rear end was the same on the next gen truck, 1st gen 4Runner, but of course I think in 86 they switched to IFS on all 4WD so the fronts went to coils, I could be wrong.

BUT: I have a 1990 4Runner, which has it's problems, but I believe it is the 1st year they switched the rear end to a 4-link coil suspension in the rear (I was REALLY surprised when I saw it the 1st time) It sounds like whoever has the truck before you, switched out the rear end, no idea why, maybe the were going to do an straight axle up front and ran out for money, no idea. Yours definitely doesn't sound stock though.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

Im telling you guys.... i got a 93 4runner, (the title itself even says so), its the second generation body style, and it has leaf springs in the rear, i promise you.... i am not retarted....i know these things..... will someone please explain this to me.....
Since you had the rear worked on before you got it maybe they swithed the front end as well... so you would have a 93 but it would have been customized with parts from an earlier runner or 89-95 truck is all...
Old 09-22-2007, 01:07 PM

and weld on some leaf perches...
I knew I'd seen some somewhere.

HERE: http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/suspension/parts.htm